Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #21

I would definitely do some sort of temporary repair. Water getting into that gash can compromise the entire side and start delamination. Eternabond tape will seal it from water until you get it properly repaired. Put some painter's tape over the entire length to prevent the eternabond adhesive from getting on the rough fiberglass making it harder to repair. Then overlap the painters tape at least an inch on either side with the eternabond..
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #22

Got mine back from the shop last week. Mine was more substantial than yours: scraped across two windows, slide trim, and almost all the way down my 43 ft fiver. $6500 later and looks like new. Glad I had insurance. Another person wasn't so lucky, he bumped a gas pump and took the entire rear cap off!
csterl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #23

Sorry to hear about your scrape but those things happen. A motorhome with no scrapes is one that has never been loved and used. Don't worry about de-lamination it is solid fiberglass. Duct tape comes in many colors and one that is close to your body color. I know this from experience. Cover it up with duct tape. When you tire of that, find a truck body repair shop. They are experienced in repairing fiberglass which is used on tractor trailers. Too bad you are not here in Milwaukee, I have my body shop on speed dial.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:26 PM   #24
Have Camera will Travel

The exposed fibreglass will absorb water if exposed long enough, but using a sealant on it is only going to make it more difficult to repair. Filling the gouge yourself with a fibreglass filler wouldn't be too difficult but getting a good gelcoat finish will be the hard part of the repair. A boat shop would probably be the place to go.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #25

Update

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I decided to bite the bullet and have the work done professionally. As suggested I took it in last week to the boat/RV Repair in Smithville, MO. They should have started this week and have it ready to roll next week. I'll post a photo of the finished work.

2021 Sunseeker Forester 3050SF
On a 2019 Ford E450 V10
faste is offline   Reply With Quote