Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

screws on Zamp port on 2500ts rusting

I bought my unit new back this past December. So 8 months old and the screws on the outside zamp solar plug are already rusting. I looks like they plug fixture and screws are just painted black. I'd replace with stainless, but rest of plug is black. Do you just repaint it?
dbareford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

Thanks for the warning, I will replace mine with stainless. You can paint them black if you want. I will just stick with the nice looking stainless finish.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

That was one of my early "fixes". I had a set of stainless screws from a sprinkler valve that had failed; I kept the screws and tossed the remainder. Those screws happened to be the same size as the mild steel screws in the connector. Before running the screws in, I added a dab of clear sealant to keep the moisture from entering around the screws. Moisture will seep in, no matter how tight unless they have a sealant. Black fixture, stainless screws - looks good!

I did the same thing with all the screws under the sides and back. Even though it is aluminum trim that is attached to aluminum framing, the screws are hardened steel with the drill bit tip. Unscrew, add a dab of polyurethane, run 'em back in.

Here in the great north-wet, I'm always cognizant of mitigating moisture.

Now if Forest River would replace the water-collecting LED tail/stop/turn/backup fixtures... (Note to self: I gotta give them a call)

--Bruce.

Tags