Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Sewer Hose Questions

Got our unit last August. Through the fall, we used the cheapie sewer hose that the dealer tossed in for free. I would like to upgrade this spring (figure the old one got brittle over winter & I will recreate the scene from RV first trip out).

In reading various forums, it sounds like the Camco Rhino Flex Sewer Kit is popular. Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit - Walmart.com

From reading this forum, I believe the sewer hose is 4 inches wide & it won't fit through the hole which is only 3 inches in the storage trunk. Our unit was made before FR made the hole bigger.

Is the only option to cut a bigger hole? Is it as simple as unscrewing (not even sure if it's screwed in) the old white plate, using a saw to cut a bigger hole, & screwing in a bigger white plate? And, lastly, where can I buy a bigger white plate (I'm not hitting the right string of words to find one on Amazon)?

Thanks!
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post

In reading various forums, it sounds like the Camco Rhino Flex Sewer Kit is popular. Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit - Walmart.com

From reading this forum, I believe the sewer hose is 4 inches wide & it won't fit through the hole which is only 3 inches in the storage trunk. Our unit was made before FR made the hole bigger.

Is the only option to cut a bigger hole?
that is a good hose for the money
we have two short ones
and
yet another very long 25' different brand
have found that short ones work most of the time
and the long one has been a must at other times

maybe you can cut a 4" hole
then find a cap or plug at Home Depot

or
take your problem to a large RV parts store in your area
we have found ours to carry most everything

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

I have the Rhino Flex and love it because the ends swivel, making it a lot easier to hook it up straight. But, as you say, it won't fit in the bumper because of those swivel fittings, which don't easily come off. I use a big plastic container with lid to segregate my sewer hose, gray rinsing hose and all other sewer equipment. It doesn't weigh much, and I can just toss it in the bed of my truck. That may not work for you, but I'm sure some other ideas will be presented that will be helpful.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #4

x2
mjones has a good idea. While your at walmart buying the hose walk over to the plastic storage box area and find one that will hold the hose. While your there buy a good pair of long rubber gloves. I place mine inside a zip lock bag and the hose and gloves go into the storage bin. Another good purchase is one of the clear 90' sewer fittings that you can run water backwards to flush if needed. Not that you want to watch what is going down the drain but it helps to see if the water running through your black tank is clean=thus should be empty.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

the best and most expensive by far is the Polychute.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Rhino flex is the way to go!

Rhino Flex hose I have found to be in my opinion is the best> I have been at camping for around twenty five years. I have used everything that has been avaiable. There are numerous ways to carry the Rhino hose. True it will not fit in the bumper for storage because of the size. Some use plastic boxes from WalMart or other places.

I use a 4" PVC, thin wall irrigation pipe from Lowe's. I use a fitting glued to each end with a 4" screw in plug. I used Stainless clamps to attach the pipe under my RV. You have to remove part of the locking ears on the RHINO hose with a hacksaw for it to fit into the PVC pipe.

Some use the 4 1/2" PVC square fence post cover to attach to the RV.

Enclosed are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 001.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	24867   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 006.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	24868   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 008.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24869   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 009.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24870   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 010.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	24871  

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. Sorry, my question wasn't clear. On the Sunseeker, the dump valves are in a storage compartment. At the bottom of the storage compartment, there is a hole with a screw off cover. The question is about the sewer hose being 4 inches (I believe), the hole at the bottom of the storage compartment being 3 inches (I believe), & what / how to modify to get the sewer hose through the hole.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

I've seen this mod ( cutting a larger hole and installing a new hatch) on this site. A search may provide your answer
Polaris XP550
Berkshireba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Sorry, my question wasn't clear. On the Sunseeker, the dump valves are in a storage compartment. At the bottom of the storage compartment, there is a hole with a screw off cover. The question is about the sewer hose being 4 inches (I believe), the hole at the bottom of the storage compartment being 3 inches (I believe), & what / how to modify to get the sewer hose through the hole.
I have done this mod. It is as easy as you described. What you are looking for is a "deck plate". It is available from boating supply places or Amazon. If you search that term you will find it.

Since the Rhino hose has ends on it, I just coil it up in the sewer compartment.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #10

Check out member cbvp "built in storage hose issue" post in Modifications and updates. Sorry don't know how to attach a link.
Polaris XP550
Berkshireba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #11

The standard Rhino-Flex sewer hose will fit into the standard rear hose storage bumper. Try it again and rotate the ends of the hoses and you will see that they will fit. It's kind of like this. Why are manhole covers round???? That's the only geometric shape that will not fall into the opening if it were turned around. A square will fit and fall into the open hole. Can you imagine if kids knew manhole covers would fall into the opening????? They would spend all night working on it.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #12

these fit into the bumper tube
had one for a while and works nice
plus
nice and long

Blueline Ultimate Sewer Hose™, 25'

[S078-888483]

Manufacturer's Number: 1-0065
$35.99 $35.45
No more clamps, tools, or threading your hoses! Pushover Quick Connectors are installed for a simple, “push-on” connection to other Blueline fittings. Made of superior, heavy-duty vinyl for all-weather durability.

Slunky Sewer Hose Support, 25'L*

Your Price: $56.80
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

Paulmlac, should be able to find the larger threaded plug/access hole piece at the boat or marine place as mentioned before. RV dealer may have one. Seen them used for plumbing access in rv showers too. I could have swore I've seen them at Academy before, or maybe something similar. Cut away. Easy fix.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #14

Rig is at a storage lot so can't look at it easily. Does anyone know how the base plate is attached to the floor of the storage trunk - does it glue down or get screwed in? Also, is the 4" base plate sufficient or is it smarter to get a 5" so have a little wiggle room? Thanks!
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My Rhinoflex hose fits in my rear bumper, you just have to be smart to thw way you put it in there.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #16

We use a Thetford Smartdrain with our Sunseeker, which has an enclosed tank drain compartment. The hose and fittings have lever lock connections. The hose fits in the bumper and goes through the compartment's floor opening just fine.

The lever lock connections allow you to connect the hose to the dump valve without having to twist the hose. My routine is to connect the dump elbow first, drop it into the dump station, then push the hose into the dump compartment. I flip the levers open and let the hose hang in the opening while removing the dump valve cap and putting the adapter on. The hose just plugs right onto Smartdrain adapter on the dump valve. We've used it for about 250 camping days in two years and it shows no wear. We usually don't stay in any place for more than two or three days, so it has been pulled out of the bumper, dragged across the concrete, and connected a lot of times.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Rig is at a storage lot so can't look at it easily. Does anyone know how the base plate is attached to the floor of the storage trunk - does it glue down or get screwed in? Also, is the 4" base plate sufficient or is it smarter to get a 5" so have a little wiggle room? Thanks!
It attaches with screws. I used the same screws for the new one and added some silicone sealant under the lip of it. I used a 5" deck plate and it is plenty big enough.