Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

Should I, Shouldn't I, Should I, Shouldn't I, etc etc HELP

Okay, brief history --- Currently have 36ft Class A DP.
Seriously thinking of downsizing. Just the two of us (and a couple of four-legged fur kids). Current rig is 14 years old (still in good condition). Been doing the RV thing for about 20 years (3 trailers and the MH) and figure we have at least another 10 in us. Possibly more but 10 would put us in the mid 70's.

Looked at a 2015 Forester 2501TS today. Wow, seems to fit all our needs. Outside and Inside storage. Walk around bed (well sort of but close enough). Spent better part of two hours crawling around it and ran out of time so just had a very short test drive. It's on the Ford chassis with V10. Obviously test drive wasn't as smooth as our current diesel MH and was also louder (engine noise).

Soooo, here's the problem -- Still can't make up our minds. Leaning toward the upgrade and getting a new rig but gosh darn still kind of like that ole pusher we have:

Should I ??? get a new Forester and if so why???
Shouldn't I ??? get a new Forester and if so why not???

All helpful suggestions and comments truly appreciated.

BTW, forgot to mention, it has all the options we would get if this was a factory order except one (the leveling jacks). It has two things we wouldn't order, the Artic Package (in Oregon..really) and exterior BBQ grill.

I just happen to be a good bad example.
starship01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Our history, popup -> hybrid -> TT -> 5th wheel. We asked ourselves the same question at every step on the upgrade path. You only live once and aren't allowed to take anything with you. Your current rig being 14 years old could start costing you money soon as things wear out and need to be replaced. If finances allow I say go for it. Good luck with your decision.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #3

If you haven't already, compare the Forester to the equivalent Sunseeker. Many desirable things on the Forester are optons on the Sunseeker so you can select the ones you like and don't pay for the ones that don't interest you. Construction and appliances are the same.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

IMO if you are moving to a smaller RV, you need to make certain you are comfortable with the sacrifices the smaller floor plan demands... IMO some of the smaller Class C's like the Forester 2501TS have awkward bedrooms & small bathrooms. Since you plan to keep this RV well into your retirement years, you need to ask yourself how easily you will be able to get in & out of the bed & shower area if you have some mobility issues.

I have retired family members who, IMO, stopped RVing too soon because they had difficulty navigating the bedroom/bathroom areas after knee surgeries, etc. The resale value was so low they could not afford a newer one that had more accessible features. These are things to consider when you are buying your "last" RV - one that will hopefully last you well beyond 10 more years of happy travels!
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If we have to talk you into it then it isn't right. If the rig talks you into it then it is right. It would be really easy for me to spend someone else's money but I'm not. Just remember the payments and the fuel mileage (probably worse than your current DP) on what I'm guessing will be a fixed income before long. On the other hand, is the DP gonna be needing a lot of large repairs soon? In the end, go make momma happy and do what she wants you to do.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Commercial Member

We have lots of people downsizing to the 2501. You're already in a motorhome, so you know most of the ins and outs. Fuel economy should be roughly the same (as it is on all motorhomes), yes your diesel is more efficient...but that efficiency is offset by the added weight. In the end, all motorhomes are getting 8-10.

We designed the 2501 around requests we were getting some customer for smaller units...but did not want to give up living space. So we angled the kitchen to maximize counter space (under mount sinks help too), a spot for a trash can (instead of a bag hanging on the drawer), the bathroom is one of our best I think. HUGE vanity for a Class C...with actual counter space for toiletries and a bigger sink than normal. With the (3) slides, you get the same space as a 29-30 footer.

I am clearly biased...but if you want smaller footprint that opens into a larger unit...no one else builds anything near as good as this floor plan. (unless you want a corner bed)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Personally, I would sit on it. It sounds like you're darn happy with what you've got and I noticed your in Portland, Oregon. The Forest River plant is just down the road in Dallas. They ain't going no where and going into the fall season, prices are only going to be more negotiable.

Whats the old saying? If it ain't broke... oh wait.. I'm trying to remember.. if it ain't broke fix it better and if you don't have parts left over you did it wrong? That can't be it.

You get my drift. A lot of really neat stuff coming into the market, but don't let the hype lure you into handing over your hard earned bucks until you're completely comfortable. It's also a considering point as to what you're going to do with your current rig. Factory prices are down, but so it the sellers market.

Just my 2 cents.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Just an FYI, that Forest River plant in Oregon does not build motorhomes. They are all built out of Elkhart, IN.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #9

I would see if you can rent one. I see a lot if Sunseekers in rental fleets. See if you can find one similar in model and size. BTW we have a Sunseeker and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just an FYI, that Forest River plant in Oregon does not build motorhomes. They are all built out of Elkhart, IN.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info bclemens.

Certainly not the last time I've been wrong.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote