Old 08-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #1

Should I use synthetic oil?

Just bought a new 2020 sunseeker(2019 E450 chassis) and was wondering if I should or shouldn’t use full synthetic. Manual says it has synthetic blend from factory. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Hikingslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #2

Either one is fine. As long as it meets or exceeds OEM specs go for it. I will suggest to pick one and stay with it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
Ambassador Member

Full Syn

Mobil 1 is all I use. Look at the specs and compare it to anything else you might consider. I also installed a Fumoto Valve when I dumped the factory oil. Now my oil changes require no tools.
No PM’s.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikingslo View Post
Just bought a new 2020 sunseeker(2019 E450 chassis) and was wondering if I should or shouldn’t use full synthetic. Manual says it has synthetic blend from factory. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
The service manual states the following:

"Recommended motor oil (U.S.):Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend MotorOil-5W30"
Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico):Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil-5W30”

I would recommend using one of the oil types that is listed in the manual. It appears that according to Ford, it is your choice whether to use full synthetic or synthetic blend, so either one is fine.

This thread will probably show a lot of responses saying people use this oil or they use that oil, but I think the owner’s manual gives you the answer to your question.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
Brake is on left

I'm partial to using synthetics in my vehicles. Especially the tow pig. It gets run hard then sits for a few weeks. Lab reports show me it holds up better than the conventional oil rexommended for my truck. Though I will never tell someone they "should" run it. The manual tells you what you should run at the minimum. MC oil is actually pretty good stuff. At least the diesel oils are anyway.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in every engine that I have except my diesels. In all of those, I run Rotella T6 full synthetic.
If you can afford it, in my experience a name brand full synthetic will always out perform regular oil or a blend. Maybe not by much, but enough to be a significant difference to me.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #7

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. It's usually on sale at BJ's warehouse at least 3 times a year. And I cannot figure out "synthetic blend". Is it 50/50, 30/70, 70/30 or 1/99 etc? Or is it what they have in the tanks at the time it's bottled?
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #8

Define "blend"

I asked a Valvoline rep a few years ago how much Synthetic oil was in a "blend" he said NOT MUCH!!
I only use Full Synthetic!
wclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I use Mobil 1 in all my cars just wanted to make sure there wasn’t any reason to not do it. Thanks again everyone!
Hikingslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclune View Post
I asked a Valvoline rep a few years ago how much Synthetic oil was in a "blend" he said NOT MUCH!!
I only use Full Synthetic!
That doesn’t surprise me. I alway thought of “synthetic blend” as a marketing gimmick, because the blend percentage is not listed on the bottle. It could well be only 2% synthetic, and it could be called a “synthetic blend.”
Old 08-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #11

Quote:
I have the same. I put full synthetic in it. We have a lot of rocks to pull up over out here, and I always tow so it's always working hard. Hopefully it helps, but it sure won't hurt. Cost isn't much different in the grand scheme of things.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #12

My personal opinion is use the reccomend Ford semi synthetic blend. My Ford dealership changed mine in the parking lot. Another reason to use a dealership is your VIN is in the system for recalls. Cost is about the same as othet semi synthetic oils.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
That doesn’t surprise me. I alway thought of “synthetic blend” as a marketing gimmick, because the blend percentage is not listed on the bottle. It could well be only 2% synthetic, and it could be called a “synthetic blend.”
Synthetic blend is not a gimmick with Mobil 1 blends. After the merger between Mobil and Exxon, ExxonMobil decided to optimize revenues with motor oils by making blends. The more synthetic oil the longer the recommended mileage between oil changes.

I used to work for Exxon and then ExxonMobil. After the merger in 2000 I talked to a guy from the old Mobil Co. who worked on development of Mobil 1 in the 70s. When they took the test engines apart they would find no deposits. I immediately switched to Mobil 1. I have never used regular oil since. And I always get full synthetic. This allows maximum travel between oil changes. A trip to the west coast and back still requires(+8000 mi) an oil change but its better than two.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #14

Full synthetic in all of my stuff. From the truck to my string trimmer. Amsoil for me. I've been using it since 1974.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #15

Full synthetic in everything. Including the little mower. For over 30 years.

Justification:
I was working with a large electric construction company that has hundreds of vehicles.

The vehicles were brought in for maintenance. The oil was sent to their in-house laboratory. Tested and then a decision was made to change oil or not. They routinely went 30,000 miles between oil changes.

Full synthetic. Brand escapes me.

Your mileage may vary:-)
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Without question, I use high mileage full synthetic. Brand is by personal preference but I was using mobile 1 but am switching to pennzoil because it is made with natural gas instead of with oil. Yes, I believe there is a difference.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...-platinum.html
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #17

Like many others I use Mobil 1 too for my RV and cars. To me it is worth the extra cost over synthetic blends and gives me piece of mind. Living in Canada with cold winters full synthetic is best during start up especially if sitting for awhile and you know it flows no matter what the temperature outside.

On long trips with a hot engine it gives added protection that ordinary oil or synthetic blends just can't give.

I change the oil in my RV yearly regardless of mileage but it is never more than 8,000 miles a year anyway.

Bob Brown

2013 Forest River Sunseeker 3170 ds
2019 Honda CRV
2006 Pontiac G5
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #18

Something I learned years ago from a close friend who was an Engineer for Unocal,

Regular oil is a product made from distilled portions of Crude Oil with additives necessary to enhance the performance.

The problem with "Dinosaur Oil" is that when subjected to heat it tends to further "distill" itself and even break down into coke or tar like substances. Modern refining and additives have lessened that greatly but it's still not able to withstand heat as well as Synthetic Oil. Not just sump temperature but the high heats generated withing the engine where moving metal is in close contact with other metal.

Synthetic Oil is "assembled" by the manufacturing process so it behaves like the GOOD parts of "Dinosaur Oil" but without the bad parts. Higher temperature before breakdown is one of the largest as long as shear stability or the resistance to viscosity loss as it's run through the engine and subjected to all the forces.

Since oil performance is greatly influenced by the car manufacturers and has to meet standards for sale to the US Government (Milspec) one of the things often misunderstood by lay people is that it's all COMPATIBLE. Mix a quart from one manufacturer with a quart from another manufacturer, both meeting the same API service specs and you have two quarts of oil that will perform well together. No forming of a big blob in the crankcase or damaging an engine (as long as both oils are the proper spec). Same for Synthetic with the exception of the Synthetic being more heat resistant.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #19

Full synthetic only and always in our Lexington.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #20

My boss talked me into synthetic oil 30 years ago. He would drive 25,000 miles without changing. He tore his engine down at 250,000, just to see how it looked. Clean, and no sign of wear. He did change the filter regularly. i change my oil once a year, whether it needs it or not. I've never had an engine problem related to engine oil. I've got the problematic 6.0 Ford Diesel, so I don't go 12,000 miles between changes on it. They have run semi trucks 1,000,000 miles on synthetic without changing the oil. The oil just doesn't break down like dinosaur oil. Synthetic handles higher heat as well, which is an issure with my 6.0L.