Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #1

Side notifications

My blind spot notifications are not working, did I turn them off somehow, it’s my 2021 forester classic 3271S. No lights no buzzerThanks in advance
Kidtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Personally……I’d count my blessings.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Personally……I’d count my blessings.
Me too. But I think we're probably in the minority here.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:45 PM   #4

There are three of us so far. Curious to see where this thread goes.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #5

The blind spot system supplied by Forest River on my 2020 Sunseeker worked so poorly, I communicated with it's manufacturer about the problems, but learned there was no way to calibrate it or adjust it. So, I installed a switch under the dash so I could shut it off when it annoyed me, false alarmed (very often), or otherwise malfunctioned. Honestly, that switch has always been in the off position for about 2 years now. Until this thread came up, I forgot it was even still there.

The Voyager VBSD1 Blind Spot Detection System, as Forest River calls it, looks like a great feature in the brochure, but it's junk.

If the OP is no longer getting alerts, that could be a good thing.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:40 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

I used to get alerts when I’d blindly change lanes and bang into other vehicles that were there at that moment.

Ever since I’ve started staying in my lane…….no more alerts!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #7

I really don't like the side cameras, either. Even if I wanted to look to my right at the video screen when I'm changing lanes to the left, it's usually pretty hard to see much on it, anyway. The mirrors work much better, IMO.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I really don't like the side cameras, either. Even if I wanted to look to my right at the video screen when I'm changing lanes to the left, it's usually pretty hard to see much on it, anyway. The mirrors work much better, IMO.
I agree. I became annoyed with my Sunseeker’s side cameras, so I disabled their automatic switching when the turn signal is on. My biggest dislike was when I was waiting at an intersection with turn signal on, the monitor switched to side view, and I could not see my toad, trailer, or what is directly behind me through the rear view camera. I need the rear camera at all times. I don’t need the side cameras. The E-450 side mirrors are very good.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I agree. I became annoyed with my Sunseeker’s side cameras, so I disabled their automatic switching when the turn signal is on. My biggest dislike was when I was waiting at an intersection with turn signal on, the monitor switched to side view, and I could not see my toad, trailer, or what is directly behind me through the rear view camera. I need the rear camera at all times. I don’t need the side cameras. The E-450 side mirrors are very good.

I also disabled the auto switching on my 2017 for exactly the same reason, haven't missed it since. I agree, the E450 side mirrors work great.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
My biggest dislike was when I was waiting at an intersection with turn signal on, the monitor switched to side view, and I could not see my toad, trailer, or what is directly behind me through the rear view camera. I need the rear camera at all times. I don’t need the side cameras.
Exactly. And even after you make your turn and cancel the turn signal, it seems like it takes forever for the screen to switch back to rear view.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #11

Funny how some of these "features" that Forest River added just turn out to be a PIA and need to be disabled.

Different subject, but I am now in the process of eliminating the whole house water filter in the basement of my Sunseeker, another "feature" I'd rather do without.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #12

Nothing beats a good set of side mirrors plus an attentive driver.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:34 PM   #13

I like my Sunseeker's blind spot warning system (if that's the same thing as side notifications). Also annoyed it takes forever for the screen to switch back to rear view.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidtexas View Post
My blind spot notifications are not working, did I turn them off somehow, it’s my 2021 forester classic 3271S. No lights no buzzer
Thanks in advance
You might have turned then off accidentally or the sensors may not be working. Other than having someone out or taking it to the dealer, you can try to locate the sensors and clean them. Or you can try scrolling through the menu and checking the settings.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You might have turned then off accidentally or the sensors may not be working. Other than having someone out or taking it to the dealer, you can try to locate the sensors and clean them. Or you can try scrolling through the menu and checking the settings.
Are you familiar with the VBSD1 blind spot system? It is an add on done by Forest River, not part of the OEM chassis. On mine (as delivered) there was no off switch; there is no menu; there is no scrolling; there are no settings.

The sensors are large, by the rear bumper, and easy to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1304E2D-604E-4CEE-8487-786BE898F969.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	282008  
Old 12-04-2022, 03:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Are you familiar with the VBSD1 blind spot system? It is an add on done by Forest River, not part of the OEM chassis. On mine (as delivered) there was no off switch; there is no menu; there is no scrolling; there are no settings.

The sensors are large, by the rear bumper, and easy to find.
No. I'm not familiar with that system. However, it didn't seem like anyone was trying to help the OP.

If the sensors are clean and there is no menu, then the only help might be the dealer.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #17

For what it’s worth, and assuming the OP has the Voyager system that Forest River describes in the 2021 Forester brochure, attached is the user guide. It describes many reasons why the blind spot system doesn’t work, and also admits that occasional false alerts are normal. The guide mentions no possible user settings or adjustments, other than an installer setting for the approximately 18 mph activation point.

https://asasupportdocs.blob.core.win...r%20manual.pdf

There is not much help to offer. Typical installation by Forest River is to shove the control unit under the dash near the steering column into a wad of wiring amongst other various after market modules. There could easily be a bad crimp or open wiring connection affecting the VBSD1.

I reason that if you covered the system’s GPS sensor on the dash to sufficiently block the GPS signal, the system would not enable itself.

Tags
cat