Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

siriusxm help please

Took our first trip in our new 2860ds this weekend. only real problem was the sirus signal through the jenson radio. The signal would cut in and out repeatedly about 10 times per minute. The small box shape antenna is mounted on the dash next to the windshield, but i have read that it has to be on the roof. is this correct? i would presume that on the dash was ok if thats how the camper came. But installation instructions from sirus says it has to be on roof. Any advice, thanks
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Sirus is right.Put it on the roof-they'll catch a good signal and make good radio.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

The roof would be perfect......but you can get away putting it anywhere as long as it has a very clear view of the southern sky. My antenna in my pop up is by the door......if it is facing south...reception is fine. If not, I temporarily place it on the roof.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Placing it on the roof gives you a wider view of the sky while sitting on the dash you probably are only catching the very edge of the signal as the roof is blocking much of the sky from the point of view of the antenna. Any obstruction will reduce/interrupt the satellite signal and it takes a brief time to acquire again each time the signal is lost. In our car, with the antenna mounted in a clear location on the roof we lose signal passing under most overpasses...

- R
Old 03-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Commercial Member

It is on the roof. The antenna on the dash is for the GPS. Check the roof, make sure it does't have sealant on them like another user here.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

thanks for replys, i must be looking at the wrong one then, i will check the roof tomorrow, other than that had a great time. love the new camper. they have moved on a long way from our previous 2003 model.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

thank you, just went and had a look tonight. found about 1/3 of the antenna was covered in silicon. hopefully this was an easy fix.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

We subscribe to Sirusxm on our Jensen radio in our 2014 3010DS and never had a problem with reception. Just turn on the radio and listen. Now the GPS is a whole other issue!
chucknviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
Puzzlme

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS came with Magnadyne and is satellite ready. What do I have and what do I need to have installed so I can get the radio working?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

https://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
Commercial Member

You need the tuner and antenna which plug into the back of the radio.

Just look on Amazon for the Sirius tuner and antenna...its SXV200 is what we install for the Jensen.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You need the tuner and antenna which plug into the back of the radio.

Just look on Amazon for the Sirius tuner and antenna...its SXV200 is what we install for the Jensen.
Also available at Best Buy
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #12

I too have a 2860DS, I put a magnetic mounted antenna on the front fender, about half way to the front, no drop outs.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 AM   #13
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgastwo View Post
Took our first trip in our new 2860ds this weekend. only real problem was the sirus signal through the jenson radio. The signal would cut in and out repeatedly about 10 times per minute. The small box shape antenna is mounted on the dash next to the windshield, but i have read that it has to be on the roof. is this correct? i would presume that on the dash was ok if thats how the camper came. But installation instructions from sirus says it has to be on roof. Any advice, thanks
Roof installation is ideal but you might also consider purchasing a home kit with a portable antenna. They are more sensitive than the roof mounted variety and will acquire good signal strength inside the RV and through the roof. Yes, you read that correctly. We have an integrated XM receiver with a roof top antenna that can be problematic due the low look angle required in this part of the country. Any trees to the south and we have no signal. However, our Sirius radio on a portable dock and with a portable antenna pointed through the roof of the RV, works just fine.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlme View Post
2013 Sunseeker 3010DS came with Magnadyne and is satellite ready. What do I have and what do I need to have installed so I can get the radio working?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I ran the antenna wire behind the door trim to the forward upper bunk area and used double back foam tape to attach it to the top of the TV. Works very well.

The antenna can also be place under the upper bunk mattress, all the way to the front.