Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
MH Noob

Slide Adjustment - Need your opinion

Hi there,

So I asked my dealer (they are a joke) whether or not this slide needed to be adjusted. The lower leading edge is not flush on the bottom. All other edges are flush with the body of the motorhome. The dealer said it was normal, but after this last trip, I could hear some air coming in going down the road - seems like it could be adjusted. What does your main slide look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Edge.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	109808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Edge Close.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	109809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Edge.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	109810  
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #2

I have a smaller u-shaped dinette slide on my Forester. Mine was also slightly angled similar to yours and the dealer did adjust it so it is now has a nearly uniform gap all around. Most important the seal has good contact all around.

I'm note my slide motor failed also so it was replaced at the same time. Fortunately still under warranty at the time.

Forester 2451s
Old 06-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

I have a TT, but my slide wasnt flush all the way around either (mine wasnt as bad of a gap as yours) after talking with my dealer and some investigating the seal makes a flush seal and nothing gets in or out, I was told by another dealer a solid seal is the most important part. Since you say it isnt sealing I think it needs adjusting.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:16 AM   #4

Wish my gap was that small, I would be estatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjc View Post
Hi there,

So I asked my dealer (they are a joke) whether or not this slide needed to be adjusted. The lower leading edge is not flush on the bottom. All other edges are flush with the body of the motorhome. The dealer said it was normal, but after this last trip, I could hear some air coming in going down the road - seems like it could be adjusted. What does your main slide look like?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Our gap is so wide the seals do not make contact with the body
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slidegap1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	110583  
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
MH Noob

Josh - do you have any input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Our gap is so wide the seals do not make contact with the body
So this can't be right. I was looking online at Sunseekers and Forresters - some have the slide flush and some are tweaked like ours - what is the right position and how do I get it there. I understand it is just a couple of bolts below - but if the slide is just not square - adjusting bolts will do nothing.
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

I have asked several people on this subject.
They say- of the seal is sealed- leave it alone.
But I want it tighter.
I have not been given an answer on how to do this.
Mine is gapped tight at the top and further out at the bottom.
No leaks yet- that I have found.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I have asked several people on this subject.
They say- of the seal is sealed- leave it alone.
But I want it tighter.
I have not been given an answer on how to do this.
Mine is gapped tight at the top and further out at the bottom.
No leaks yet- that I have found.

It depends on the manufacturer and type of slide, but when you get down to it they are all relatively easy to adjust.

Usually the problem you run into is access to the adjustments because the manufacturers have their heads buried up their keisters when they design things.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

My Forester dinette slide looks exactly like Slimjc. I was told the same, if it doesn't leak, leave it alone. Have an appointment Monday at the dealer and will ask again about adjusting the Lippert Above Floor slide-out while still under warranty.
NOTE;READ IN LIPPERT MANUAL, ALL ADJUSTMENTS MUST BE MADE BY CERTIFIED FACTORY TRAINED PERSONNEL OR WARRANTY MAY BE VOIDED!
I was told that because the mechanism is on the bottom, the top makes contact first and the bottom pulls in. Also, that the slide rocks up when extending and retracting as to prevent scrapping on the floor and carpeting. Hense, the bottom of the slide extends out more than the top. Mine has the manual in/out bolt under slide in the compartment below and there is another similar bolt closer to the outside. Not sure what that adjusts and will ask the dealer Monday. Who knows what to believe anymore!
Here's Lippert's diagram:http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ly_Webpage.pdf
Looks like mine is the worse of the bunch in the photos!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1794.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	110598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1792.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	110599  
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
My Forester dinette slide looks exactly like Slimjc. I was told the same, if it doesn't leak, leave it alone. Have an appointment Monday at the dealer and will ask again about adjusting the Lippert Above Floor slide-out while still under warranty.
NOTE;READ IN LIPPERT MANUAL, ALL ADJUSTMENTS MUST BE MADE BY CERTIFIED FACTORY TRAINED PERSONNEL OR WARRANTY MAY BE VOIDED!
I was told that because the mechanism is on the bottom, the top makes contact first and the bottom pulls in. Also, that the slide rocks up when extending and retracting as to prevent scrapping on the floor and carpeting. Hense, the bottom of the slide extends out more than the top. Mine has the manual in/out bolt under slide in the compartment below and there is another similar bolt closer to the outside. Not sure what that adjusts and will ask the dealer Monday. Who knows what to believe anymore!
Here's Lippert's diagram:http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ly_Webpage.pdf
Looks like mine is the worse of the bunch in the photos!
Mine looks the same as yours.
Let me know what the do...if anything.
Mine just seems like the lower tracks are 1 or 2 teeth off on the gears.
When mine is retracted, it appears level though. (Bed slide)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #10

I would take it back to the dealership and have them fix it, it looks like a new camper and the last thing you want is to run out of warranty and be stuck with a problem. I had a similar problem with one of my slides, it was the top back corner, the dealer said that is normal, I wasn't falling for it. Come to find out, the slide adjustments lock-nuts were not even touching the plates. The slide-out adjustment bolts were backing out.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Mine looks the same as yours.
Let me know what the do...if anything.
Mine just seems like the lower tracks are 1 or 2 teeth off on the gears.
When mine is retracted, it appears level though. (Bed slide)
I can't get my hand in under the slide and I'm not heavy. I'm sure the tech will have a hard time adjusting if he knows what to do.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #12

Your problems are adjustable. Question is which slide mechanism you have.
1. If your slide has two square tubes with rack and pinion gears, it is nesc. to
slide the slide out out approx. 10 inches. then if you look under the tubes you will
find a set of gears and wheels that the slide runs on meshed with the toothed rail.
notice the two bolts holding the gear pkg. in place, remove the bolt closest to you from the pkg. opposite of the end with the push ram and just loosen the bolt closest to the frame. You may need to jack up slightly to remove the bolt. The gear package should drop down out of the rack on the tube. NOW measure both ends of the slide out to the body of the coach. on the end you dropped down the gear, push in or pull out the slide to get an equal measurement on both ends of the slide. Get your measurement close as possible. Now swing the gear back up and insert the bolt and tighten. Run the slide in and it should now be even front and rear.
2. if you have schwintek (cable) operated slide you will need to adjust the cables individually.
3. If you are floor mounted you will need to partially lift the slide up off the gear on the floor and move the slide in or out.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

I think most of us posting here have the Lippert Above Floor Slide. See the diagram in my previous post.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
Professional Curmudgeon

About that warranty issue - given the slap-dash way things are assembled at the factory in the first place, it would be impossible for the dealer or manufacturer to claim the warranty is void because the slide is improperly adjusted.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
About that warranty issue - given the slap-dash way things are assembled at the factory in the first place, it would be impossible for the dealer or manufacturer to claim the warranty is void because the slide is improperly adjusted.
True, but aren't we talking about after the owner makes an adjustment and possibly messing it up further while still under warranty?
What is the warranty, 1 year for FR and Lipperts on the mechanism?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #16

In-wall Slide out operation, trouble shooting, and installation

I wish to thank Everyone who has offered help on adjusting the Slide outs, unfortunately the Slide out mechanism on the new Sunseeker 2400W is an in-wall dual synchronous motor unit with a motor controller, no cables, no bottom rails, but rather upper and lower gear rails on sides of each end. One near the top and the other near the bottom. AT each end there is an in wall housing that contains a drive shaft with a gear for the top rail and one for the bottom rail. A synchronous motor is located on the top of each shaft. There is an extend and retract switch that operates the controller which in turn sends signal and power to the motors to make them move at the same speed and in the same direction. There is a process in which the end points can be adjusted.

It is my understanding that the only way to adjust the top to bottom distance is to remove the motor, lift the shaft so that it slides out of the lower gear, move the gear rail in/out as necessary and then reinstall the shaft and motor. This is the reason for having a certified technician doing the job. You really need to see how these are installed to understand how they work.

In my case the number 1 motor is getting a motor fault indication on full extend and the number 2 motor is getting a motor fault indication on full retract. The installation manual which I am attaching states that the fault can be caused by either a broken wire or a bad motor. The controller itself goes into an override mode if a fault is detected which allows you to run the motors so that you may close the slide out in most cases.

The red fault light is located on the operator switch and is rather bright so it is almost impossible to not notice it when operating the button. The fault light came on the first time I operated the slide myself, that was once we had driven the motorhome to our residence. With the extensive pre-delivery inspection that Forest River mandates and I paid for, it is rather odd that this issue was not indicated nor addressed on the paperwork the dealer sent to Forest River. It makes one wonder about the dealer and his ethics?????

BTW should you decide to learn more about this in-wall slide out system, do a search by bulletin number on google for the additional documentation listed on the last page of the document I have attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power Gear Installation and service manual.pdf (983.9 KB, 129 views)
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post

It is my understanding that the only way to adjust the top to bottom distance is to remove the motor, lift the shaft so that it slides out of the lower gear, move the gear rail in/out as necessary and then reinstall the shaft and motor. This is the reason for having a certified technician doing the job. You really need to see how these are installed to understand how they work.

I may try to pull a motor off and see if it moves- further in.
Probably just off a tooth or 2 top to bottom.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #18

Our slide was crooked in the opening and tilted out at the bottom. It went back to the factory and the issue was that the slide frame was bent.It would never be right. They replaced the whole thing and all is good.Before I spent a lot of time trying to adjust it,I would lay a long straight edge on all 3 sides of both slide frame pieces.Our frame was tweeked almost an inch on one rail.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:07 AM   #19

Total Loss, do you have the Lippert with the rack underneath or the Schwintek with the aluminum double rails on the sides, or both?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Total Loss, do you have the Lippert with the rack underneath or the Schwintek with the aluminum double rails on the sides, or both?
Schwintek- double rails- 2 motors on top.

Tags
slide