Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 PM   #1

Slide or stabilizers first?

I realize we should know this by now, but…

Which do you do first, slide or stabilizers? We have a full wall slide if that makes a difference🤷*♂️

I did a search, but didn’t find anything

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #2

I always level and stabilize before moving out the slides.
Khawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:14 PM   #3

I always level then put the slide out before i put down the stabilizer jackes. Reason being when rhe slide is extended more wgt is put on that side of the trailer. This what I waa taught.
gramps2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #4

X2. If I stabilize before putting out slides I have to go back and adjust the stabilizers
Old 07-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #5

I crank the stabilizers down hard then extend the slide. Next morning I can get another half turn out of all four corners.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #6

I have read of those that get the unit levelled off with the slides out, then bring the slides in and note the difference from level while in tow mode. Then, when they set up from then on, they raise the slide side by that difference so when they extend the slide, they end up level and stable.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #7

For your particular motorhome, try it both ways and see which gives you the best end result. Your narrow MBS and the possibly heavy full wall slide may behave differently than other motorhome models, and probably differently than all the trailers that people are posting about.

I level with hydraulic levelers first, the extend the slideouts. Our E450 based unit has a wide base and the slides are relatively light weight compared to many.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #8

Thanks. I can’t decide if I was better off being clueless, or now worrying and wondering
Old 07-27-2021, 10:47 PM   #9

I lever my trailer with slide out, closed the slide and told the levelmate pro that was level.

So now I "level" then put out the slide then stabilizers

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
I realize we should know this by now, but…

Which do you do first, slide or stabilizers? We have a full wall slide if that makes a difference��*♂️

I did a search, but didn’t find anything

Thanks!
Since your question is narrow in scope I would say that it depends on what type slide out mechanism you have. Slim Rack = Does not matter. Schwintek = Stabilizers 1st. You can find the references in the LCI Now App.

With your question answered, notably there are many opines related to leveling. That too can be important but it is not what most folks think it is and all units are not the same.
Posting exclusively* in the Forester/Sunseeker section.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khawk View Post
I always level and stabilize before moving out the slides.
X2 - Always
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #12
The Driver

I don't always level.
I don't always stabilize.
I always put my slides out.
If I stabilize, I always stabilize before I put the slides out cause it's easier to get to the compartment where the stabilizer jack wrench is stored
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #13

I level first about 1/2 bubble high on the slide side, then extend the slide, then put the stabilizers down. I usually end up pretty close to level when all done.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:53 PM   #14

Extend Jack’s to level, then slide outs extend

We have three slides on our 40 foot Newmar Ventana. A full drivers side slide out, a family room slide out and a master bedroom slide. Too big to chance warping or other issues. We extend the Jack’s that then level our Motorhome. We have a 2009 Model snd that has worked for 12 years quite well. That is a long time to validate that procedure.
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #15

I set up 1/4 bubble high on slide side. Chock wheels. Unhook from truck. Drop stabilizers on slide side. Run outs slide and then drop other side stabilizers. Always works good for me.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:57 PM   #16

Slide first or level first?

Our previous RV was a 29 foot Komfort TT with 4 jack-screw type stabilizer jacks, one at each corner. Large single slide-out on the street side. One of the factory engineers was in attendance when we took delivery, and explained to us why we should level the trailer first, using leveling blocks under the tires where necessary to level side-to-side, and using the tongue jack to level front-to-rear. Then, before extending the slide, the stabilizer jacks should be deployed to firmly establish a firm, level footing. Extending the slide before stabilizing could cause the trailer to tilt slightly, and the stabilizer jacks were not designed to be used as leveling jacks if that occurred.

Our current RV is a 35 foot fifth wheel Cardinal with the six-point hydraulic leveling system, so stabilizer jacks are not an issue. We still level carefully before extending any of the three slides.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #17

Might not matter which is first with a MH, since the stabilizers are generally intended to level the unit anyway. Typical TT stabilizers, on the other hand, are not intended to carry meaningful weight, especially the electric up/down ones. My electric-driven stabilizers have shear pins to protect the motors, and I found out the hard way that the shear pins actually work. Therefore, I always put my two (same side) slides out before lowering the stabilizers.
To end up level when the slides are out I added/subtracted boards under the slideout-side wheels until a four-foot carpenter's level was happy with the slides out, then pulled the slides in and adjusted my external level indicator to show "level". Now when I get to a camp sight I "level" by that external indicator, then put the slides out and I'm truly level. Then the stabilizers go down and the shear pins live for another day.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #18

Thx for all responses. We have a full wall slide (heavy) which always makes us lean to the slide side. Our stabilizers are just that - stabilizer, not leveling.

We currently level with blocks, extend slide, then drop stabilizers - they are not Individually controlled.

I am not concerned with how to get it level, we kind of know where that happy medium is - just want to make sure the way we’re doing it is proper and won’t wreck something.

We’ve spent a total of 329 days in it in the 5 years we’ve had it, so one could argue whatever we’re doing must be OK…… But, we could have simply been lucky and disaster is just around the corner

Thx again.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:42 PM   #19
Usually Confused Member

Not familiar with the “stabilizers” being discussed here. I never do anything with my leveling jacks unless the full wall slide is retracted. The levers are NOT smooth while moving, mostly when starting and stopping. That movement causes very noticeable up/down motions of the entire slide if it is extended.

2015 Wrangler Toad (aka Bonnie)

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, that usually happens around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #20

I have a 2019 2400w Sunseeker.
First I level with stacker blocks. The full wall slide makes the coach lean to the left so I level it with the left side high by a 1/4 bubble on a level laid across the coach on the floor.
I put down the driver side stabilizer and lift the coach a little with it. Next extend the slide and check the level, it's usually pretty good. I like the driver side to be a little high so my head is above my feet when I sleep.
Last, put down the passenger side stabilizer and lift the coach just a little. This makes it more stable while we are parked.
Shut the motor off, extend the awning and its Miller time.
There are two stabilizers at the back of the coach, you can see the driver side one extended in this pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210727_082150.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	260121
Velvet Fog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, stabilizer, stabilizers