Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #1

Slide, Quit Making Noise

I have a 2014 Sunseeker 3170. The slide is the front drivers side slide. Couch and stove slide.
Well here is my observation and question.
Ever since we purchased our Sunseeker, the slide would make a ratcheting sound when fully extended or retracted. When we heard the ratcheting noise, we would stop pressing the button.
I have read the instructions again and see no reference to the ratcheting sound.
Well, lately it has stopped making the ratcheting sound.
I have checked things out and all looks good and slide works.
Does or has yours make/made the ratcheting sound, ever?
Does you motor stop when the slide is extended/retracted? Or do you need to stop pressing the switch?
Trying to figure if I have a problem or did I have a problem and did not know it.
Thoughts, comments are welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

The ratcheting sound is normal. It is the built in clutch mechanism in the slide out gear box, attached to the motor. Once the slide out is extended all the way in or out, the clutch kicks in to prevent the gears from stripping.
Our Lexi with 3 slides has always operated like this.
Once the ratcheting sound starts, after a second or two, you release the switch.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
geezer with gadgets

We also use the ratcheting sound as a stop signal. Curious as to why your's has stopped? Please keep us posted so that we know what to check out if ours should stop making the sound as well.

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Update:
Called Lippert today. The folks could not have been more helpful. Explained the problem as I was concerned about operating the slide and perhaps getting it stuck.
First, if the slide is working properly, it is OK to operate as the ratcheting sound is part of the clutch. A bad clutch will cause the slide to creep out while driving, but would not cause any problems, like destroy the gearbox.
Lippert stated that it is most likely the 30amp resettable circuit breaker in the line. When the slide actually stops, the circuit breaker maybe opening due to weakness, momentarily stopping the motor when the slide extends,retracts. He stated that with everything else being OK, the circuit breaker may be weak.
So now I must find this little 30amp circuit breaker and monitor power across the line and listen for a click that will tell that it is momentarily opening. If this is the case, replace the circuit breaker .

Now, to find the circuit breaker. He did not know where it might be located but he thought that it was probably located in a bank of other circuit breakers.

Maybe the Rep can chime in as to location. I will keep everyone updated.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1482366598.827748.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  55.0 KB

Attached Images

Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Look for a box or cover marked "power control center". It is an electrical box where your coach battery cables will feed into. NOT the same as your fuse and circuit breaker panel.
Your slide breakers will or should be in that power box. The box in our Lexi is located next to the entrance as the batteries are under the entry steps. Our lexi has a main breaker and also mini breakers for each of the 3 slides, plus breaker for arctic pack tank heating pads.
Not knowing your layout, but look for something similar. May be close to your coach batteries, of in a compartment, but should be inside the coach, not exposed to weather.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Thank you, my Sunseeker has a similar layout and the control center is to the left as you enter the couch with batteries under the step. I will be looking over Christmas.
Thank you.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

An update. Yesterday I was looking for the 30amp resettable breaker. In the control center the schematic clearly shows J2-F2 to be related to the couch slide. But no resettable breaker. Looked in the battery compartment, no luck. Removed the cover to the bottom of the gearbox, no breaker. Had DW listen at the control center, I did tell het not to touch anything, as I extended the slide.
The slide went out about half way and stopped. Heard a faint ratcheting noise and nothing. Held my breath, crossed everything I could and pressed the switch to retract. Slide move back in as I held my breath. DW reported that she heard nothing.
Before you ask, batteries are at full charge and everything under the slide still looks good. Now I am thinking motor and gear assembly.
I do have an extended warranty and will call in January and get the process started.
The motor assembly cost $550-$350 approx. which is secondary to replacement. I can see where this could be a bear unless someone knows the magic.
I will keep posted as I learn.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #8

I think the 4 black components on the board are the 30amp breakers. They are connected to the electronic board.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1482812038.900260.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	127152
Old 12-27-2016, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I think the 4 black components on the board are the 30amp breakers. They are connected to the electronic board.
Attachment 127152
those black things are relays
Old 01-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #10

My slide creeps out while driving on highway in my 2014 Sunseeker 3050. Dealer cannot find the problem. Could it be a bad clutch?
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker 88 View Post
My slide creeps out while driving on highway in my 2014 Sunseeker 3050. Dealer cannot find the problem. Could it be a bad clutch?

SS88,
Not sure what slide mechanism that your 3050 has. Our MH has two, one "Schwintek"(you are able to see the gear rails on the sides of the slide when its "deployed ") that's on the smaller bedroom slide, and one "Lippert above the floor sofa slide"(must be on your knees or back to see mechanisms) that's on the larger dinette/recliner slide. The Schwintek slide "motors"(2) "lock" the bedroom slide "in" or "out", but the larger slide requires "transit bars"(which were supplied by FR when we purchased our MH) because the slide will creep out by inertia when cornering. These bars are just 3/4" electrical conduit with chair leg rubbers on each end. Sorry I don't have pics. Hope this helps. Happy Camping 😀

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FricNFrac View Post
SS88,
Not sure what slide mechanism that your 3050 has. Our MH has two, one "Schwintek"(you are able to see the gear rails on the sides of the slide when its "deployed ") that's on the smaller bedroom slide, and one "Lippert above the floor sofa slide"(must be on your knees or back to see mechanisms) that's on the larger dinette/recliner slide. The Schwintek slide "motors"(2) "lock" the bedroom slide "in" or "out", but the larger slide requires "transit bars"(which were supplied by FR when we purchased our MH) because the slide will creep out by inertia when cornering. These bars are just 3/4" electrical conduit with chair leg rubbers on each end. Sorry I don't have pics. Hope this helps. Happy Camping 😀

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
If there are no issues with a slide system it is not supposed to creep anywhere regardless inertia or not. The bars are typically supplied with the majority of rv's and are to be used if there is a malfunction with a slide that allows creeping.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If there are no issues with a slide system it is not supposed to creep anywhere regardless inertia or not. The bars are typically supplied with the majority of rv's and are to be used if there is a malfunction with a slide that allows creeping.

Bubbles, I've never heard this. Good to know. I used them because they came with the MH. Thanks, and Happy New Year 🎉

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker 88 View Post

Yes, it could be the clutch not holding causing the slide to creep. From what I understand the clutch acts like a brake as well as a torque limiter. I have never had the problem of slide creep but I have the slide blocks on board. Only one pair. I have never used them.

An update. I have called extended warranty people today to start the process of repair. I have an appointment for January 27th at an RV repair that I have used before. It's a few weeks out but they are busy and that was the next available time. At least my RV is my yard. Good time as nothing planned for a couple of months.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #15

My 2860 was gear box for oven microwave couch. Everything need to come out. The slide also had to be removed. There was no way to get to bolts and gear box took a full day and a half 2 guys most of the time
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #16

Update.
Dropped my Sunseeker at the RV repair shop today for its appointment tomorrow. I will find out tomorrow what is wrong and estimated time.
Thank you.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
The ratcheting sound is normal. It is the built in clutch mechanism in the slide out gear box, attached to the motor. Once the slide out is extended all the way in or out, the clutch kicks in to prevent the gears from stripping.

Our Lexi with 3 slides has always operated like this.

Once the ratcheting sound starts, after a second or two, you release the switch.

Grumpy

This is what we were taught and this is what we hear and do

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #18

Any update?
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #19

Called Thursday and their mechanic had not looked at it yet but was told it was in the shop. Was supposed to call yesterday and get an update but got busy at work and forgot.
I will call Monday and give another update.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #20

Slide, Quit Making Noise

Got my Sunseeker back today.
There is a roll pin inside of the gear box that had sheared. I spoke to the mechanic and he stated he accessed the gearbox from the bottom and split the case to access the internals. He stated he was than able to drive out the sheared pin and replace it. He cleaned the old grease and regressed everything and reassembly. I asked him if the torque limiter (clacky clacky) was working. He stated that everything was in order. The slide was not removed for this.
Total cost $450.00, extended warranty covered $350.00. I have a GS extended warranty with a $100.00 deductible.
Got home late and have not checked it. I will give it a checkout tomorrow.

Tags
noise, slide