Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Slide Topper in the Wind Problem in 3051S

So, we're in Santa Fe, NM for a couple of days and every afternoon around 5 pm big wind storms have been coming in every day. Today's is really strong. I'd estimate 40 mph winds right now.

I was at the dog park with our puppy when my wife came over to tell me something bad was happening at the RV.

When I got here I could see the slide topper being caught in the wind, rolling out about 10 inches or so before being rolled back in by the topper's spring. It makes a hell of a racket inside the RV. Sounds like the roof is coming off.

So, I look around this RV park full of big rigs and no one else is having this issue.

Seems that FR isn't careful to make the topper awning the correct size for the slide. So, wind can get underneath it and roll it out to it's end. This creates a large wind foil above the RV - a balloon or bell-shapped bunch of wind inflated fabric.

The topper's springs do bring it back by winding up the excess material but it just happens again and again.

We brought the slide in because otherwise it looked like the topper was going to tear and rip off the slide.

Luckily, the wind here dies down in a few hours and we'll be able to put the slide out before bed.

Do you folks think this is normal, acceptable or correct? Or should I ask for the excess material to be trimmed off so that the topper awning is taught when the slide is extended?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

No idea but I'm inclined to check how long ours is.

Bringing in the slide was a good call. But doing it every day could get old!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
MH Noob

This not normal, it sounds as though the anti billowing device has come loose
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjc View Post
Anti-billowing device??? "Billowing" was certainly my problem.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 AM   #5

Quote:
The anti-billowing device is mounded on the campers wall, It sounds like your spring is weak or tension is not set correctly

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 AM   #6

Quote:
The "Anti-Billowing Device" only comes into play when the Slide is in the "Travel" position! Like Witch Dr.said the Stop for the Device is mounted on the RV wall not the Slide wall! Additional tension needed on the Spring in the roller! Youroo!!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:48 AM   #7

I made pvc supports for under my toppers....stopped the noise and flapping.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

I added about 8 additional turns to both torsion springs, one on each end. Stops the billowing and water from puddling.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
Site Team

I agree that increasing the spring tension might solve the problem, but if you can't get that done immediately you could run a rope around the slide over the awning and pull it down a little on both ends and that would be a temporary fix. Just be sure to remove the rope when you get ready to pull the slide in.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I added about 8 additional turns to both torsion springs, one on each end. Stops the billowing and water from puddling.

I'm going to have to look at ours- where do you adjust the springs? Is it obvious when I climb up there?
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
I'm going to have to look at ours- where do you adjust the springs? Is it obvious when I climb up there?
You have to remove the end from the hex rod. To do that, you must remove the screws in the main bracket and slide the hex rod out of the end while holding the end from turning. Might want a helper.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
MH Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You have to remove the end from the hex rod. To do that, you must remove the screws in the main bracket and slide the hex rod out of the end while holding the end from turning. Might want a helper.
Mr. Coot - you seem very familiar with these type of things - any experience with a Dometic 9100 Awning motor - any tricks for damaged gears rather than paying the $300 bucks for new motor/torsion assembly?
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Mr. Coot - you seem very familiar with these type of things - any experience with a Dometic 9100 Awning motor - any tricks for damaged gears rather than paying the $300 bucks for new motor/torsion assembly?
Go on eBay and buy a used one. I carry 2 with me as spares. Never tore one apart, so I don't know about the gears or even if it has one. Could be the shaft from the motor (inside the tube)has broken loose from the end cap.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #14

We were in high wind on a cliff above Oregon' coast and the wind was so strong that one of the topper mounts pulled off the slid. I went to the hardware store and got larger screwed which fixed the problem. Also started using a strap to hold down the topper in high winds. Just hook it under the bottom and toss it over the slide. You can also use rope. Works great.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I made pvc supports for under my toppers....stopped the noise and flapping.
Pics please...
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
So, we're in Santa Fe, NM for a couple of days and every afternoon around 5 pm big wind storms have been coming in every day. Today's is really strong. I'd estimate 40 mph winds right now.

I was at the dog park with our puppy when my wife came over to tell me something bad was happening at the RV.

When I got here I could see the slide topper being caught in the wind, rolling out about 10 inches or so before being rolled back in by the topper's spring. It makes a hell of a racket inside the RV. Sounds like the roof is coming off.

So, I look around this RV park full of big rigs and no one else is having this issue.

Seems that FR isn't careful to make the topper awning the correct size for the slide. So, wind can get underneath it and roll it out to it's end. This creates a large wind foil above the RV - a balloon or bell-shapped bunch of wind inflated fabric.

The topper's springs do bring it back by winding up the excess material but it just happens again and again.

We brought the slide in because otherwise it looked like the topper was going to tear and rip off the slide.

Luckily, the wind here dies down in a few hours and we'll be able to put the slide out before bed.

Do you folks think this is normal, acceptable or correct? Or should I ask for the excess material to be trimmed off so that the topper awning is taught when the slide is extended?
Same thing happened to me while in New Mexico for the balloon fiesta in 2014. It was the maiden voyage with my CC 36CKTS. I did the same thing and brought the kitchen slide in until the winds died down. I just thought that it was normal in high winds.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I had a motor go bad....pulled it apart and found broken plastic brush holder....as OC suggested, off to E-Bay
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I had a motor go bad....pulled it apart and found broken plastic brush holder....as OC suggested, off to E-Bay
Did it just happen? Let me know what you find $ wise, I will ship you a black one you can paint.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sye found someone who rebuilds the awning motors for cheap and with warranty.
I'll direct him this way.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "10"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
No OC, long time ago.......
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags