Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #1

Slide Topper Issues and Questions

Since I recently retired I have been able to spend more time going over the RV and performing some maintenance long overdue. Yesterday I was working on the large living room slide and discovered a couple of things. First, the bulb seal on the front is torn and now I need to replace so I will need to do a parts search for that. Second, while cleaning off the slide topper I found that the stop for the anti billow device was hanging by a thread and ready to fall off. However, not only that, but the lower hole is enlarged to the point that I need to fix that soon to prevent water intrusion which has already probably happened to some extent. You can see the hole in the attached pics and circled in yellow. I also noticed that the stop was mounted in such way that that it was literally right up against the slide. You can see in the red circle on the attached pic where the paint never made it on to the slide wall because the stop was right up against it. I'm now guessing that the slide going in and out kept pushing against the stop and making the lower hole larger and larger until the screw eventually fell out. Also, when I placed the stop over the correct hole alignment I noticed the anti billowing arm was easily 1 inch forward of the stop so that if the slide topper ever billowed the arm would never had hit the stop!

At this point I did a check on the passenger bedroom slide. The stop on that side was intact, in good shape and in the right position. However, the anti billowing arm was missing. I'm sure I can probably buy a replacement arm but I wonder how much it is really needed. Who know how long I've been driving around with out it and the tension on both toppers seems to be strong so it may not even be necessary.

Also, after downloading the Dometic instructions I also noticed that it calls for using rivets and not screws in the stops when attaching to a fiberglass wall. Well that surely did not happen. I will likely use a pop rivet to reattach the stop on the wall but will also have to move it so it aligns with the arm, so I'll have to take a closer look at that.

In the meantime does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement Anti billow arm and also for bulb seals for around the slides?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topper hole.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	253309  

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #2

I think it would be oscar rivets rather than pop rivets.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Ambassador Member

For the seals:
https://www.steelerubber.com/
or maybe
https://www.recpro.com/rv-slide-out-seals/

As far as I know only the Solera toppers do not use an anti-billow. 14 wind springs make them tight.
The arm should be about 12 oclock when the slide is in.

Congrats on the retirement. Only two ways to fail and neither are recommended.
Posting exclusively* in the Forester/Sunseeker section.
The ignore function is the electronic version of a smelly sweat sock in the pie-hole.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, That is correct.

Chuck & Lois
Old 05-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Amazon sells the Dometic anti-billow:
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-31092...s%2C225&sr=8-2

FYI, Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
What's the difference?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
Ambassador Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
What's the difference?
Huge diff. A pop uses the stem head to expand the body like a head.
An Oscar has slots in the body and the stem head makes it expand out
like a hollow wall anchor.
The ignore function is the electronic version of a smelly sweat sock in the pie-hole.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
What's the difference?
This
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #9

With regard to the missing rear antibillow arm and its importance...

Antibillow arms are notorious for fracturing and falling off. Worth checking periodically.

There have been reports on the forum of toppers unrolling while traveling because of high wind gusts coming from a direction to create that perfect condition for getting underneath. Might not tip out a slide more than momentarily but you could lose your topper or worse.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #10

I finally got some time to take a closer look at this. From what I can tell it looks like FR never installed the slide topper correctly on either of my slides such that the anti billowing device would work correctly. From the first two pictures I've attached you can see the proper Resting position (straight up ) of the billow arm (Bumper). The next pictures shows the arm rotated towards the wall and resting on the awning channel and not the bumper stop on the wall. From the instructions there seems to be two things that could have been adjusted at the time of install to have this function correctly.

First the LH arm on the angled brackets probably should have been installed as vertical as possible instead of leaning in towards the wall. This correction may have provided enough clearance alone for the bumper to rest on the stop and not the awning channel. Additionally, the bracket was installed on the slide at the minimum distance of 6" (see fig 4) and probably should have been lowered by a half inch of so which would have also lowered the tube and top to the bumper arm. Additionally the stop on my large slide was positioned on the wall so that the bumper arm would never hit it even if it cleared the awning channel.

So it certainly seem that installing the anti billowing kit was an afterthought and of course once you get the slide topper mounted it would probably be way to much work to make the adjustments afterwards. As the buyer, I can tell you this is NOT something I was looking at when purchasing the RV and fortunately have not had any billowing issues. Even though I already purchased some replacement parts I might leave the billowing arms off for now as the toppers are nice and tight and I've not had any issues. The other option would be to remount them knowing that if they ever get activated, the arm would be stopped be the awning fabric channel which hopefully would not be damaged.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Large Slide.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	254230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Stop 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	254231   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210511_140707 sq.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	254235   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210511_141030 sq.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	254236   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210511_150732 sq.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	254237  

Name:	LH Arm.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	254239  

Chuck & Lois
Old 05-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #11

It seems to me that the only way for the arm to hit the bumper is for the awning track to be cut shorter. which it should have been, I don't think it's a big deal, though. I doubt the arm puts enough pressure on the awning track (it's not a gutter) to matter. Other than a minor scratch at the impact point, the pressure applied by the awning material probably exceeds what the bumper can do.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #12
Ambassador Member

It appears that the left arm AND extension are both twisted in their respective mounts. That appears to have caused the arm to tilt in. Additionally, the entire slide cover appears to have shifted left. There should be retaining screws on the bracket to hold the extension arm and a screw through the spline in the rail to fix the fabric in place. I cannot see either of those essentials in the photos.

Note: If you zoom in on the photo you can see the original screw hole in the extension. That is how far I had to shift everything to the right to properly cover the slideout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	261D0CBF-6F97-49B4-8851-61673ABE649A.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	254272  
Old 05-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #13

I agree with duckogram, looks like some screws are missing. Screws in the hex arm and awning fabric would keep the awning from shifting sideways. Also, the screws in the rotating arm seem to be missing, see attached. It looks like the arm was rotated in the two pictures without moving the slide and rotating the awning, the arm should only move when the slide is extended.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	254315  
Old 05-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #14

The awning & toppers on our 2017 3010ds do not have anti billowing devices. Does anyone know if this model was supposed to have them?
Old 05-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
Ambassador Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
The awning & toppers on our 2017 3010ds do not have anti billowing devices. Does anyone know if this model was supposed to have them?
See post #3
Old 05-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
See post #3

Thanks I should have read that. My bad!
Old 05-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #17

We have 2017 3050s and our first trip out we had Solera slide awning issue on drivers side slide. It tore the material. Warranty replaced the awning and it had anti billow installed on the replacement. You may check with your dealer to see if it is a replacement they can perform. Each semi passing us was an issue before the anti billow was installed.
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #18
Ambassador Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
We have 2017 3050s and our first trip out we had Solera slide awning issue on drivers side slide. It tore the material. Warranty replaced the awning and it had anti billow installed on the replacement. You may check with your dealer to see if it is a replacement they can perform. Each semi passing us was an issue before the anti billow was installed.
I can see where a 3050s might have that issue. The topper is huge and totally exposed.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #19

It appears to me that the awning extension arm needs to be moved to the right and the LH arm and hexagon extension need to be moved one or two positions to the right (or down depending on how you view it) to get the LH arm straight and clear the rail to hit the anti billow stop.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #20
Moosehead Dad

Anti Billowing Decive

FYI,
I purchased three slide toppers directly from LCI and installed all of them in 2019. Also, I purchased anti-billowing devices from LCI to use for my toppers on my 5th wheel. At first, I was told by the LCI salesman that the anti-billowing devices were not needed for their toppers but I could purchase them. If a topper ever tries to billow, the anti-billowing device will be there. They appear to work just fine or I have not seen any issues, yet.

Tags
questions, slide