Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Slideout seal

I have daylight coming in under the dinette slide when it's out on our just delivered 2500ts...is there not a seal to prevent wind, rain, snow, bugs and vermin from entering?[
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209_133421.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	157952  
BUDA ROAD CREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDA ROAD CREW View Post
I have daylight coming in under the dinette slide when it's out on our just delivered 2500ts...is there not a seal to prevent wind, rain, snow, bugs and vermin from entering?[

Short answer, not on any I have ever owned. I made my own seal. It's a lot of work but worth it.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Care to share?...thx
Old 12-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDA ROAD CREW View Post
Care to share?...thx

Unfortunately I got rid of that MH so I can’t show you photos. Every darned one I’ve had was a problem with the beetles, cold air, dust from winds, mosquitos and 6 gear motors and a hydraulic system that quit until my current MH. It has no slides. Effectively what I did was take large foam rubber seal and make it fit the open area on the inside and put it in place when we stopped. Later I opened the slide up and pulled the trim on the outside and made it a more permanent installation. Took me several hours cause it was a big slide. Still wasn’t perfect but a darn sight better than it was.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Hey, thanks so much...👍
Old 12-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
2014 SunSeeker 2300

I wish it could explain it to you just a little better but I know from the slide outs that I’ve had on my campers that they are all different. The big motorhome had like 40 freaking screws I had to remove in order to even access the underneath side of the slide and, to their credit, they really had done a decent job of sealing it up from the factory. I could see that there was a flange that came back close to that seal so I removed it, cut and fit a foam seal to shape around the gears and cutouts and fit it in there to take up that space. The foam allows it to compress without damaging anything.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #7

Lots of folks use pool noodles to stuff in the opening from the outside. Just cut to match, number them and put in place after setup. Just remember to remove them. My wife also uses draft snakes in front of the couch. Works well. Love to here other ideas.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #8

Thx for the heads up
Old 12-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #9

I also cut some foam rubber to stuff in those gaps, blocking them from the inside behind the trim. Again must remember to remove. I am considering gluing the to the backside of the would trim at the bottom.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I also cut some foam rubber to stuff in those gaps, blocking them from the inside behind the trim. Again must remember to remove. I am considering gluing the to the backside of the would trim at the bottom.

That is essentially what I did. Keeps from having to do it every time you set up.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

Thanx guys
Old 12-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

The slide out in our 2400R has a weather seal on all four sides of both slide outs.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 AM   #13
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrote View Post
The slide out in our 2400R has a weather seal on all four sides of both slide outs.

On the inside or outside? All of mine had seals on the outside and sealed up great! When the slides are extended the seals need to be on the inside of the coach which is difficult to seal around the slide mechanism. None of mine were ever able to do even a fair job of sealing out the wind, dust, mosquitoes and box elder bugs when extended.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #14

Well..outside of coach but I have not yet felt any draft. Of course I live and mostly camp in California so haven’t experienced much extreme weather.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #15
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrote View Post
Well..outside of coach but I have not yet felt any draft. Of course I live and mostly camp in California so haven’t experienced much extreme weather.

In the places we have been I found it necessary to find a solution. Japanese beetles by the thousands in Michigan. Almost dust drifts in Texas. Mosquitoes like nothing else in Minnesota. I wish we had the pleasant weather you enjoy in California. Wouldn’t need to be sealing up our camper hog tight, so to speak. When it is cold and your slide leaks really bad, you want it fixed. I fixed mine by buying a coach with no slides so I no longer have heating and cooling issues, seals to fix and lubricate and leaky hydraulics and gear motors to replace. Slides are great when they work.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #16

I just posted over at the Forester section since I have a Forester 2861DS about this problem. I wish there was a better way to solve this problem. For me, I'm concerned about mice. We bought our 2016 coach used, and then found out it had a previous mice problem. The point of entry was through the galley slide. I just can't believe no one here has come up with a better solution than pool noodles which is what we are doing at the moment. We had a tear in the rubber wiper that created a huge hole. That has since been repaired, and I thought when I got my RV back after the repair, it would have at least sealed better. Nope. Someone please save me from wiper seal and pool noodle woes!
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #17

I have the same problem with my slide. There is a cold draft when outside temps are low and I can see light during the day.

We put towels on the floor to stop the draft.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, slide