Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Slideout Structure

I have a"New" 2004 Sunseeker 2890 DS. I want to add accessory baskets over the bed in the slide. I am considering installing the baskets on a wood trim board that would be attached along the outside wall of the slide and between the side walls and the vertical curtain track, which is screwed to the wall panel or something inside it. I want to be able to put glasses, iPads and spare batteries, medications, etc in the basket so it will have a little weight. Does anyone know if there is structure in the corner of the slide or under the vertical curtain rail that I can attach to?

Thank you.
Mosquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Use a stud finder or the knock test to find out
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #3

Not familiar with your model but I have had some issues with slides and learned much from it. There are two things to be certain of before attaching anything to a slide. 1) it cannot interfere with the slide completely extending or retracting. If it hits anything something else may break. 2) make sure it doesnt touch any wires or get near any gears. If it does it can chafe or crush the wires and your slide will stop working.

Even with doing nothing at all I had my slide stop working in the out position. The guy who wired it at the factory didn't tuck the wire bundle away and the slide crushed it. Thank God it was sitting in my driveway instead of a thousand miles from home in a campground!
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
Not familiar with your model but I have had some issues with slides and learned much from it. There are two things to be certain of before attaching anything to a slide. 1) it cannot interfere with the slide completely extending or retracting. If it hits anything something else may break. 2) make sure it doesnt touch any wires or get near any gears. If it does it can chafe or crush the wires and your slide will stop working.

Even with doing nothing at all I had my slide stop working in the out position. The guy who wired it at the factory didn't tuck the wire bundle away and the slide crushed it. Thank God it was sitting in my driveway instead of a thousand miles from home in a campground!

My intended work is all on the inside of the outside wall, about mid height, so there is no way to interfere with the mechanism. However hitting electric wires is another question and I desire to mount something that won't tear out with just a little weight in it. I was hoping that someone had seen the inside one of these walls and could tell me whether there are structural members that I can tie into. Obviously there are studs in the corners but there might also be wood cleats tied to the studs that are used to attach the walls. Guess I'll poke around and find out.
Mosquitos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide