Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #1

Slides

I have a 3170DS with both model slides. Just a few questions:

1. Does any one grease these slides if so where and how?
2. Does any one use any lubricant on the rubbers?
3. Does any one every attempt the manual retraction to ensure it works fine? I know one of the slide can be jacked in, but the other requires one to some how disconnect the motors.

Thanks.

Chad
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

1. Yes, silicone spray on gear tracks and the areas the rollers roll over. On bunk slide, rollers are top and bottom.
2. Yes, lube your rubbers with the same :-)
3. Never have, hope to never need to. Heard also, the bunk slide you might be able to just unplug the motors from the slide controller located in compartment where your water filer is.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Check out the "Lippert" Youtube page. They have tons of videos on the slides.

The front slide is a below floor slide. Can crank in from the motor shaft located on the roof of the outside compartment just below the slide.

The rear slide is called an "IN-Wall" slide. that is different. They should have videos for both.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Check out the "Lippert" Youtube page. They have tons of videos on the slides.

The front slide is a below floor slide. Can crank in from the motor shaft located on the roof of the outside compartment just below the slide.

The rear slide is called an "IN-Wall" slide. that is different. They should have videos for both.
X2
Lippert mentions a particular CRC lubricant for the Schwintek slide (the bedroom/bunk slide. Schwintek In-Wall Slideout Mechanism / Lubricating Mechanisms on Winnebago Industries Motorhomes - YouTube
Don't bother with the "Winnebago" in the link title - it is on the Schwintek in-wall slide and applicable to any unit.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

Is the couch an above floor slide or the "couch slide" as they are listed differently on the lippart web site. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I never "lube" my slide rubber seals. Have always been advised to use talcum powder or baby powder. It seems to use silicone spray on these seals would be an attractant for dust, dirt and whatever. I'd appreciate others to provide comments in case I've been mis-directed.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

I use the slide out seal conditioner you can buy from Walmart or camping world. It gives uv protection and lubrication. I can tell from the sound of the motors for the bunkhouse slide that they are not pulling as hard after I lube them. Also on my 2011 3170 I was having a problem this year with the motors not bringing the slide in even all the time and also cutting out before slide was all the way in. Long story short one thing they don't tell you in the video for the schwintec slide is to clean all the battery connections including the ground connections on the coach body and the frame and then put some good corrosion protection on them. after doing this my slide works good.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #8

Thanks. What do you use on the gear track and motor assembly?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Interesting topic.
On my (new to me 5 days now) Wild Cat 30RLBS the previous owner slapped on some blue grease all over the square slide tubes under the big slide.
Should I attempt to clean off the grease ? And use What? in it's place?
As it is hydraulic I assume the shiny steel rods are part of the rams.
Do these get lubed with something, or do not touch the rams?
Thanks in advance.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I would not use grease. I use a Slide Out Lubricant by Thetford. There are also other makes that you could use other than grease. Your camping store should have options for you to pick from.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #11

There are a number of variants of slide hardware getting grouped into this topic. Each type of slide hardware has its own type of lubrication needs.
I would suggest to verify your slide and manufacturer and use the manufacturer recommended lubricant. I've found that there is not one lubricant that does it all, although RV stores sell a generic slide lubricant.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Interesting topic.
On my (new to me 5 days now) Wild Cat 30RLBS the previous owner slapped on some blue grease all over the square slide tubes under the big slide.
Should I attempt to clean off the grease ? And use What? in it's place?
As it is hydraulic I assume the shiny steel rods are part of the rams.
Do these get lubed with something, or do not touch the rams?
Thanks in advance.
You need to take the grease off, it will collect dirt then you will have real problem. You need to spay a dry lube you can buy it at Napa or an RV store. DO NOT PUT LUBE ON YOUR RAMS. If it is on there get a cleaner and take it off, you will blow the seal......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #13

Lloydg.... thank you for the info.
Today I noticed that the square tubes that are grease coated have the gear cogs along the bottom..... they are also covered in grease ... I suppose they have to be cleaned off as well ?
So do I use the same lube on the 'cogs' as on the slide tubes ?
I am glad the grease is freshly applied... it hasn't had a chance to build up any dirt and grime.
Dennis
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #14

It sounds like my slides. If yours were mine, I would clean the grease off and routinely spray with the slide lubricant noted earlier.

Tags
slide, slide out