Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Slow fill on fresh water tank

So finally getting to put some water in the 3051 and it seems like it's taking forever to get 44 gallons in! I can only get in about 2 gpm verified by the bucket/ stopwatch method before it starts gurgling and spitting it back out. I'm using a cutoff 1/2"ID garden hose. Is this normal or do I have a venting problem?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

Search Physics lesson needed for more info.
Here is what I posted there and you most likely have the same issue as everyone else.

"I had the same issue with my 2861DS. Would not fill past about 1/3. Found that the fill tube had a large dip in it between the outside connector and the FW tank. Instead of trying to fix the dip I got about a 4-5' section of clear vinyl hose that was a smaller diameter of the fill tube and attached it to a female hose connector with a shut off valve to attach to my garden hose. To fill I now just push the vinyl hose all the way in past the dip and to the top of the FW tank. Fills all the way every time now and have the shut off valve right there for when the tank is full. No issues since."

Hope this helps

2016 Forester 2861DS (11-13-15)
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

I have had a hard time filling the FW tank. Still do occasionally.
I also did as HopHed, my inserted hose is about 2' in length. This seems to help. What I found to work best was to remove my vent hose and blow in it.
With mine I think the vent hose is lower at some point allowing water to enter and create a blockage so the air cannot exit. When I blow on it I can hear water gurgling then a push of air will escape through the vent hose. I'll do this a couple of times and seems to fill up completely.
Bit of a nuisance but it fills and I'm not going underneath to fix it.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #4

Same problem. Just discovered today that I have a kinked vent hose. Going to be a bear to fix because it's in the 4" between the top of my tank and bottom of the floor.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #5

I had the same problem in our FR Forester. I fixed my problem by turning on the faucets inside the motor home.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #6

Yup same problem here. As others have said first step is to check your fill tube and vent hose. Neither should have slack or be kinked. My vent hose had a sharp bend in it so I straightened that out. I also switched to a fresh water fill hose with a cap. It's called a Secure-Fill
https://youtu.be/9HcjtK_k7Qs
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Yup same problem here. As others have said first step is to check your fill tube and vent hose. Neither should have slack or be kinked. My vent hose had a sharp bend in it so I straightened that out. I also switched to a fresh water fill hose with a cap. It's called a Secure-Fill
I have the same problem with our 3051 filling the fresh water tank. But how in the world can you tell if there is a kink or a dip in the fill tube or the vent tube since they are both in the wall? I guess I forgot to ask for the x-ray vision glasses. ???
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #8

Well that's the hard part. I started with removing the exterior fill from the side of the rig. I got lucky, I saw a kink in vent hose from the hole. But determine where your FW tank is located and work backwards as they say. I will say there is a good chance either the vent or fill hose is the problem. I have read dozens of posts with this exact problem on the Sunseeker's and Forester's.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

Finally got tired of the slow fill/water puking back up on me problem so I did the same thing, removed the exterior fill connection. Sure enough there it was, about 5" in,big old kink in the vent line! It seems like they leave too much slack in the vent hose and it kinks when you shove it all back in. I cut 2" off the line and slid a hose clamp in on the part that was kinking and tightened it enough so the hose couldn't kink again. Put it back together, takes full flow from my garden hose and no burps !
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I got the Secure-Fil and tried it the last time we got ready for a trip and it worked great...no more standing on a step-ladder holding the hose in the fill tube and having it gush back at me every minute or so, soaking my clothes.
Well worth the money...got it at Amazon.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #11

I have a 3011DS and the fresh tank is under the bed in the back. Mine was not filling at all when I got it. I took the mattress off, lifted up the wood, and found the fill tube drooping. I zip-tied it up so it was a straight shot and all was well.

Hopefully it is an easy fix for you.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
I have a 3011DS and the fresh tank is under the bed in the back. Mine was not filling at all when I got it. I took the mattress off, lifted up the wood, and found the fill tube drooping. I zip-tied it up so it was a straight shot and all was well.

Hopefully it is an easy fix for you.
This seems to be a common problem with the 3011's. I had to do the same.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank