Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #1

Solar Charging

We have a 2014 Forest River Forester class C on a Ford 450. Solar panels were put on by the dealer prior to us picking it up (Thompson RV). I know that the solar panels charge the house battery, but not sure if they also charge the engine battery???
Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
We have a 2014 Forest River Forester class C on a Ford 450. Solar panels were put on by the dealer prior to us picking it up (Thompson RV). I know that the solar panels charge the house battery, but not sure if they also charge the engine battery???
Probably not but you can measure the voltage of the engine battery while the solar is charging to see if the voltage is at a charge voltage which is over 13V.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Unless they added additional wiring I doubt it. Most Class C's that I have looked at don't come with the chassis/engine battery able to charge from the same source as the house batteries.

Trik L Start is one way to get around it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #4

My dealer installed this GoPower controller in my 2015, it charges the chassis battery after the coach batteries are charged. If yours is by chance the same and has been connected you can switch between bank 1 and bank 2 to see state of charge.
https://gpelectric.com/products/30-a...ar-controller/
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #5

Tombsy, that looks like a great controller for an RV.

thanks rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
My 2016 3011 came installed with a BIM (Battery Manager) that actually does allow for the solar charger to charge the coach battery as well as the house batteries. I found this out accidentally when disconnecting the coach battery and I still had a battery voltage at the terminals. Checked the manual and some online info and it turns out that the BIM will cut through the connection to the coach battery when a charging voltage was detected on the house batteries and the voltage on the coach battery is below a certain level. This seemed to work pretty well as the coach battery was fully charged after getting the RV out of winter storage. My guess is you probably have the BIM installed as well, so check to make sure and if you do, then your probably good to go.

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, forester, solar