Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #1

solera smart arm awning

I have a 2018 Forester equipped with the Solera Smart Arm Awning. Since purchase I have had the awning have water intrusion shorting the circuit board out and the circuit board replaced three times all under warranty. My fear is that the warranty runs out the same will happen. Has anyone else has similar problems.
claudew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudew View Post
I have a 2018 Forester equipped with the Solera Smart Arm Awning. Since purchase I have had the awning have water intrusion shorting the circuit board out and the circuit board replaced three times all under warranty. My fear is that the warranty runs out the same will happen. Has anyone else has similar problems.
It’s currently subject to a recall so I believe it will be replaced at no charge as long as it has the referenced recall problem. When you look at the top of the control box ( on the awning) does it have what appears to be a large amount of silicone type sealant where the wires enter the box?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #3

I'll check. Just got it back from dealer. Should it?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
I'll check. Just got it back from dealer. Should it?
Yes, it should. Should look like this:
Old 11-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Checked it. Looks like all they did was wrap black electrical tape around the wires.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Then maybe you should use the silicone calk as shown by emdee. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #7

Probably so. Its bad when you expect the dealer to repair so you don't have to keep going back with the same problem, but they do half job. Thanks foy your help.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Probably so. Its bad when you expect the dealer to repair so you don't have to keep going back with the same problem, but they do half job. Thanks foy your help.

I see you live in Louisiana.
Who’s your dealer?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Checked it. Looks like all they did was wrap black electrical tape around the wires.
When I picked up my unit the Smart Arm was inop. Well, not really because the dealer didn’t know one has to hold the unlock button for 3-4 seconds to activate the system.

I called Lippert about the problem and the first thing they wanted me to do was look to see if the silicone sealant was in place. When I said it was definitely there he said my awning had been properly prepped at the factory and wasn’t affected by the recall. Then, he proceeded to explain how it operates.

He also said he has to constantly brief customers about the system operation. He tactfully added that most folks don’t get a briefing from the dealers...and the tone of voice told me the dealers were the ones screwing up because they don’t know how to do it.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #10

My dealer is Camping World Lafayette.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #11

I ask the service rep. if it needed silicon sealant to keep the circuits from getting water intrusion and they said that the technician said that since it didn't originally have it he didn't believe that it was necessary. I ask them to please contact the manufacture to see if it should be added. Since they didn't put it they must not have contacted them.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
Rich

Quote:
I ask the service rep. if it needed silicon sealant to keep the circuits from getting water intrusion and they said that the technician said that since it didn't originally have it he didn't believe that it was necessary. I ask them to please contact the manufacture to see if it should be added. Since they didn't put it they must not have contacted them.
I also use Camping World in Lafayette. When I brought my Forester in to have the awning checked, the service rep didn’t even know about the buttons on the arm of the awning. I hope when the new Camping World is finished in Breaux Bridge, they will upgrade the service staff also. All the highway construction in the area is making it difficult to travel through that area. Happy Camping to everyone.
Rich
Jennings, LA
chevytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #13

Quote:
My dealer is Camping World Lafayette.

Camping World, nuff said :-(.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #14

I am waiting for parts for my recall. emm-dee, I swear I saw another thread where you posted a entire set of photos on removing the cover and what to check for on proper/improper fitting of the cover itself after inspection of your wiring.

It may just be old guy mis-remember (a recognized medical condition), but, I swear I saw a post you did on this. Could you post a link to your other "posting" on the Solera?

v/r rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
I am waiting for parts for my recall. emm-dee, I swear I saw another thread where you posted a entire set of photos on removing the cover and what to check for on proper/improper fitting of the cover itself after inspection of your wiring.

It may just be old guy mis-remember (a recognized medical condition), but, I swear I saw a post you did on this. Could you post a link to your other "posting" on the Solera?

v/r rch
See post #4 in this thread. There are two composite covers in the lower section of the arm. The lowest covers the wires shown. When it’s in place the long cover above it slides OVER the lower cover.

It’s easy to get the upper piece under the lower piece which will allow water to seep down and get on the wires. Without the silicone sealant in place the connector will start corroding.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #16

I found the posts I was thinking of: This has a couple of picture with the cover on and off. It also discusses correct cover fitment.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...103715-50.html

Post #497 on this page is what I remembered.

thanks rch
Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #17

Interesting. My message above is no longer showing the right link. Ignore the link above. It does not go to right post anymore.
V/r rch
Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
Interesting. My message above is no longer showing the right link. Ignore the link above. It does not go to right post anymore.
V/r rch
There are two posts withe the referenced pictures in that thread. The link works but to see the other pix go back one page to Reply #497.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #19

I just turned in my new 2018 FR2501TS to a dealer to begin the Smart Arm recall work. I gave them the recall notice and my rig. They said they would give me a call. I picked up my MH on 20 OCT 2018. Since then, made a short hop, then 2K mi 14 day round trip to spend Thanksgiving in Bradenton Florida. Rig was really good right out of the box. A couple of little things, but, no big "let downs".

I have never tried to open my Smart Arm Awning to date because I found out about the recall the week before Thanksgiving. I figured if I opened it, then it might mess up. It stayed up ok during the trip. The LCD Awning Lights and Awning Speakers work fine. We will see what the dealer shop can do with/about it.

Thanks to all who make this forum great. v/r rch
Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
Rich

Blinking light on control panel on awning arm.

Just had the recall done on the awning arm. After I got it home I noticed the light on lock button continues to blink. Anyone notice this on your panel before or after the recall fix? I don’t think the light was blinking before the recall.
Rich
chevytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, forester, solera