Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Sorry, another winterizing ?

So with the Roo, I used antifreeze pumped from the city water inlet. Now I see the winterizing bypass kits from the water pump lines. What is the difference between using the lines from the pump vs the city lines using the Camco antifreeze pump? Pros/cons? Does it matter? I never had any issues doing it from the city line in the Roo, is it different in the motor homes?
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

I think you need to do both. If you tie into the inlet side of the pump you will get most lines except the city water supply line due to the check valve. You may be able to unseat the check valve at the connection to get antifreeze to backflow thru the line.

You need to be sure to drain (or maybe you can run the water pump) to ensure the suction side of the water pump is dry, if you only pump thru the city water connection. One thing my unit as well as some others I have seen did not have the city water supply tied in before the water filter. City water bypassed the filter which would cause the antifreeze to bypass all that piping as well. It's easy to tell by looking for the city water tie-in connection between the pump and the filter.

This may be overkill but I open all drains including the water heater, air blow thru the city water connection and then hook up the suction of the onboard pump to an antifreeze supply and fill the system lines. I then use a hand pump to pump some in thru the city water connection.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I think you need to do both. If you tie into the inlet side of the pump you will get most lines except the city water supply line due to the check valve. You may be able to unseat the check valve at the connection to get antifreeze to backflow thru the line.

You need to be sure to drain (or maybe you can run the water pump) to ensure the suction side of the water pump is dry, if you only pump thru the city water connection. One thing my unit as well as some others I have seen did not have the city water supply tied in before the water filter. City water bypassed the filter which would cause the antifreeze to bypass all that piping as well. It's easy to tell by looking for the city water tie-in connection between the pump and the filter.

This may be overkill but I open all drains including the water heater, air blow thru the city water connection and then hook up the suction of the onboard pump to an antifreeze supply and fill the system lines. I then use a hand pump to pump some in thru the city water connection.
X2 on this Post! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

Right now its air compressor winterized, we're going out tonight and I'm trying to decide if it's worth dewinterizing it. I'm intimidated by winterizing at the water pump.
Previously:
Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #5

Yeah the first time you use the water pump method is a bit of work. You have to take out a bunch of screws and remove the access panel, install a winterization kit on the pump inlet, then modify the panel, drill a hole, so you can access the winterization valve and put it back together. You can route the antifreeze suction line over to the water filter access panel for future uses.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

We almost empty the water tank, pour in anti-freeze, and run the pump enough to move it through that circuit, then drain the water tank, drain the water heater, and blow out the lines with air. Takes an hour or so and a bit of anti-freeze, but seems to work and is relatively trauma free.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #7

Beware winterizing with compressed air only.
That method may not get all of the water out of the system -- especially the toilet valve.

My procedure:

I open the low point drain and let all the water drain out.
Close low point drain.
Drain fresh water holding tank.
Remove the water filter and empty water from canister. Reinstall canister.
Close low point drain.
Blow out lines with compressed air.
Bypass and drain water heater.
Use a small hose to siphon remaining water out of water heater.
Blow out lines again.
Open low point drains again then close.

Remove the hose going to the inlet side of the water pump and leave it off until spring.
(You don't want water that may be left in the bottom of the holding tank to make it's way to the pump.)

I purchased 2 plastic fittings and piece of clear hose at the hardware store for less than $10.
Put the 90 deg. fitting on the water pump inlet.
Thread the other fitting with a hose adapter to the 90 deg fitting.
Attach the hose to the fitting and insert the other end into the antifreeze jug.
(Didn't have to remove the cover, or drill holes - the pump is on rubber mounts and moves enough to get the fitting on without any of that.)

Pump about 4 gallons of antifreeze through the system. (I know a little overkill but it's cheap.) Don't forget the outside shower that never gets used.

Remove fittings from water pump inlet.
Remove water filter canister and dump anti-freeze back in jug.
Clean canister and store in a safe place until spring.
Empty black water holding tank.

Go to fridge and enjoy an adult beverage of choice while you think about the great camping season you just had with your Sunseeker MH and how much you can't wait for spring.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #8

First step Close W/H bypass valves.Next step drain W/H. If done in other order (Crap) from W/H can Go Downstream! Your Choice? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst3 View Post
Beware winterizing with compressed air only.
That method may not get all of the water out of the system -- especially the toilet valve.

My procedure:

I open the low point drain and let all the water drain out.
Close low point drain.
Drain fresh water holding tank.
Remove the water filter and empty water from canister. Reinstall canister.
Close low point drain.
Blow out lines with compressed air.
Bypass and drain water heater.
Use a small hose to siphon remaining water out of water heater.
Blow out lines again.
Open low point drains again then close.

Remove the hose going to the inlet side of the water pump and leave it off until spring.
(You don't want water that may be left in the bottom of the holding tank to make it's way to the pump.)

I purchased 2 plastic fittings and piece of clear hose at the hardware store for less than $10.
Put the 90 deg. fitting on the water pump inlet.
Thread the other fitting with a hose adapter to the 90 deg fitting.
Attach the hose to the fitting and insert the other end into the antifreeze jug.
(Didn't have to remove the cover, or drill holes - the pump is on rubber mounts and moves enough to get the fitting on without any of that.)

Pump about 4 gallons of antifreeze through the system. (I know a little overkill but it's cheap.) Don't forget the outside shower that never gets used.

Remove fittings from water pump inlet.
Remove water filter canister and dump anti-freeze back in jug.
Clean canister and store in a safe place until spring.
Empty black water holding tank.

Go to fridge and enjoy an adult beverage of choice while you think about the great camping season you just had with your Sunseeker MH and how much you can't wait for spring.

What are the odds you have a picture of this setup of the water pump??
Previously:
Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
What are the odds you have a picture of this setup of the water pump??
Lucky it's sitting in my driveway ready to go to storage for the winter so I went out a snapped a couple of pics.

Here is what the fittings looks like. Just put a piece of clear plastic hose on the fitting and run it into your jug of antifreeze.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #11

Is this the 3170? Thanks for the picture! I work better with pictures. LOL
Previously:
Old 10-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #12

Sorry, another winterizing ?

Here is how I installed a winterizing kit (available from Camping World and many other stores) on my water pump.

Before:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413771824.713575.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	830.1 KB
ID:	65035

After:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413771850.025141.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	858.5 KB
ID:	65036

I shortened the white hose attached to the pump and used new clamps to replace the clamps that I removed. Otherwise, all the needed parts come in the kit. The brass cap in the middle is removed for winterizing and a plastic tube attached to suction out of a bottle (tube also included in kit).

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
Is this the 3170? Thanks for the picture! I work better with pictures. LOL
Mine is a 2700 but I think they are all the same.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #14

Thanks guys, I really need to de-winterized for our Thanksgiving trip, so this is very helpful. I feel confident I can do this. Thanks!
Previously:
Old 10-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #15

Am I missing something?? I simply drain all tanks including the water heater. Bypass the water heater. Then I blow out the lines using a blow out plug. After that I put 4-6 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank and then pump the antifreeze through the system. No winterizing kits, clamps, hoses, etc. just using the MHs own system as indicated in the owners manual.
gmatti1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatti1947 View Post
Am I missing something?? I simply drain all tanks including the water heater. Bypass the water heater. Then I blow out the lines using a blow out plug. After that I put 4-6 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank and then pump the antifreeze through the system. No winterizing kits, clamps, hoses, etc. just using the MHs own system as indicated in the owners manual.
Well, you could but then you have the nasty red stuff in your fresh water tank to deal with in the Spring.

An option to dumping red junk in that tank is to install a simple switch next to the water pump. What it does is re-directs the "sucking" of the water pump from your fresh water tank to that direction, and you put the hose into the red stuff which gets pumped throughout the camper.

My bet is if ask your dealer to install it for you, he/she would be happy to do it either free or very cheap...it's not a complicated job.

Pump Converter Winterizer Kit - Camco 36543 - Winterizing - Camping World
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #17

I got the Camco kit from Camping World for 15.00 or so. We don't drink the water from the tap typically, but I still don't want to shower or cook with water from the tank that's had antifreeze in it.
Previously:
Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #18

The antifreeze is harmless. It's the smell that I don't like.
It takes a while to get the smell out of the water in the fresh water tank if you go that route. Nothing wrong with it. Just my preference.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #19

I'd rather not chance it with my kiddos.
Previously:
Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #20

A couple years ago I could find so called "nontoxic" non smelling RV antifreeze. Lately the only stuff I can find is alcohol based but also has propylene glycol in it and now it stinks. It also used to be more pink than red like it is now. It states it is for potable systems but also states to contact poison control immediately if ingested. Not something I would put in my fresh water tank since it is so hard to get out. I never drink the water from my tank but I don't think I would even want to wash myself or dishes if I had put antifreeze in the tank.

Tags
winter, winterize