Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Space heater for storage

I store my 3170DS outside but hooked up to power and under a carport for winter. I winterize, and sometimes leave my furnace on during very cold spells.
I am thinking of a space heater. What type of space heater do others use?
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Oil filled radiator type.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Unless you’re planning on using the motorhome, you say it’s stored and winterized, I’m not sure why you would bother to heat the motorhome at all.

We shut it down, monitor or trickle charge the batteries, and that’s it.
They will survive the winter we have which equals anything you see.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

I also keep my MH under a carport hooked up to 30 amp. Since I use the MH at least twice a month I only winterize if the temp is forecast for less than 30 degrees for over 10 hours. If that scenario occurs I’ll drain the water heater run 35psi air through the system. Each wet bay area has a 100 watt bulb in a reflector that takes care of the water inlet’s, water pump and both holding tanks.

A ceramic heater with fan sits inside and comes on at 40 degrees. Been doing that procedure for 15+ years and never had a problem. The electric bill may increase by $15 but most of that is probably due to another space heater in the barn that also comes on at 40 degrees. The barn and carport are on a separate electric meter.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #5

space heater

I use a small space heater in my trailer during the Winter set it down to about 40 degree. I had a MH that I found out the hard way the counter top cracked during one Winter from the cold. So I've used the space heater since.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Oil filled radiator type.
X2

The oil filled radiators take a bit longer to warm up but they also continue to produce heat during the off cycle via the warmed oil.

All 120v space heaters are a maximum of 1500w.
Don't be fooled by ads of EdenPURE or 'Amish Built Quartz Heaters' costing hundreds of dollars, producing more heat than any other heater made.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #7

What would be the purpose of the space heater? Our RV is winterized for winter, so there is no need to heat it. For 23 years we have stored ours in unheated buildings which drop to near 0*F, and have never used the furnace or an electric heater during storage.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
What would be the purpose of the space heater? Our RV is winterized for winter, so there is no need to heat it. For 23 years we have stored ours in unheated buildings which drop to near 0*F, and have never used the furnace or an electric heater during storage.
A couple posts up, someone mentioned their counters cracked from the cold so they keep some heat in them. Others mentioned going camping throughout the winter so they never want their R/V to get ambient temperature.
I suspect others simply are more comfortable not letting their stuff get cold, for whatever reason.

To each their own. It certainly isn't necessary (IMHO) but others can do as they please.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
A couple posts up, someone mentioned their counters cracked from the cold so they keep some heat in them. Others mentioned going camping throughout the winter so they never want their R/V to get ambient temperature.
I suspect others simply are more comfortable not letting their stuff get cold, for whatever reason.

To each their own. It certainly isn't necessary (IMHO) but others can do as they please.
There also have been many cold weather incidents of vinyl flooring cracking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

My TT gets the battery removed, winterized, locked up and stored outside in the elements from mid October to mid April every year. Never had a problem for 7 yrs with this TT nor the previous one for 6 yrs.

Anything cracking from the cold means the mounting was too tight or some of the mounting screws were too tight or inconsistent.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #11

Have not winterized since 2006 first with a 21SS Roo and since 2011 with the Sunseeker. I take specific, consistent precautions when extreme cold is in effect. I keep a space heater in the fresh water/dump tank basement set to turn on at 36 degrees and keep the living area between 40-50 degrees. I do get out for a week at least once a month from December-March without heading south. Yes, I suspect I dance with the devil, but so far, so good.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Weekender

Heater

I use a heater in our travel trailer to keep mold from growing on the inside during winter storage. I open all of the cabinet doors also. If you do get a space heater get one that has manual settings instead of electronic settings because if the power goes off or just a small glitch in the power the electronic settings will have to be manually reset so the heater will turn back on. The manual setting heater will restart itself when the power comes back on.
Of course useing a space heater for winter storage is just my personal opinion. I use a Caframo Limited 9406CAABX Stor-Dry 9406 Dehumidifier, Warm Air Circulator Fan, for mold control all year.
We live in Georgia where mold will grow easily in a stored camper.
burks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, storage