Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

Spare Tire

Question, how do I lower the spare Tire under the RV I have a Sunseeker 3010DS ? Thx
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 AM   #2

I stacked Lynx leveling blocks to support in two places. I could then hold up one side and lower the other. It's been a while so I can't tell you the exact steps I did with the safety chain and retaining nut, but it wasn't a problem to safely lower it. I think I removed the nut with the chain still tight, then loosened the chain as I held up one side. I may have repositioned the chain in steps as I lowered it.

Some have posted on this forum that they bought a Econoline spare tire winch off the Internet and installed it.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #3

Here's a photo of how I supported the spare tire with Lynx blocks. One stack would work, but I had enough to make two stacks.

Off subject, but you can see I added some 2 X 4's to suppport the rear compartment floor. I wasn't worried that it would collapse, but it sagged which annoyed me. The 2 X 4's slip exactly between the frame and the floor. After the photo I added some clamps to hold them in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E450 Spare Tire IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	134499  
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

I installed a hoist on mine. If you get a fleet vehicle takeout from a ford pickup they work perfectly. They can usually be found on eBay. A couple hours of hassles to install at home but so much easier and faster if you need to change a tire along the road
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #5

Do you have a link for one on ebay?
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexstone View Post
Do you have a link for one on ebay?

Here you go. There are a bunch of options but this is one.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181195318108?_mwBanner=1
Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Thanks so much!
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #8

My question is how do you lower the tire, I have the same setup on my pick-up truck and it came with a rod with handle to lower tire, I don't see one with the RV
Old 04-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
My question is how do you lower the tire, I have the same setup on my pick-up truck and it came with a rod with handle to lower tire, I don't see one with the RV

If you install one of the hoists I mentioned above you can lower it with the rod just like on the pickup..

If you haven't, the only way is to crawl under. As they come from the factory they are just hooked up with a chain...you crawl under and unhook and lower it down...not fun...and putting it back up is even less fun!

One of the previous posts showed using leveling blocks to hold the tire up when fastening or unfastening the chain...better than balancing it on your chest.

Adding the hoist is a monumental improvement. This is one of those things that I'd have gladly paid a little more to have the hoist factory installed buts it's about a 2 hour job to do it yourself. Drilling is required though.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #10

Oh ok I got it now, thank you so much for your help..🖒🖒

Tags
tire