Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
Just quoting BIGFOOT techs. They even said to never let the rear wheels off the ground.
I didn’t ask why, I just follow their advice.
If the rear wheels are off the ground, nothing is preventing the coach from rolling. Even if it doesn't roll, the jacks would be subject to side forces, which they may not be capable of handling. I've heard RV'ers asking for a welding shop to get a jack welded back on.

As for using the jacks to lift a coach for tire changing, no one wants the liability of it failing and injuring someone. You're trusting hydraulic hoses that sometimes blow. Even if it's rare, it can happen. Look at hydraulic vehicle lifts in garages. They always have mechanical safety stops to hold the vehicle up before anyone gets underneath.

Whatever you do, be safe.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
Me? I sometimes bring a spare. I have levelers and tools to lift and change. I suggest a big breaker bar in addition to the torque wrench. 140ft lbs can be a stretch for some. A tourque multiplier can help too. Practice at home first. Also consider the fill valves. I don't use extenders so I can move wheels without even thinking of the valves.

I am underweight enough I am comfortable to limp on a single on one of the rears if needed. This is rare, the underweight, based on my chassis and length, and should not normally be planned for. (Fullly loaded, we have literally a ton of CCC unused with full tanks. I could dump the fresh and lose 300lb or so right over the rear axle.)

When we bring our cargo trailer, instead of a toad, we bring the spare. With a toad, I am comfortable getting service to me, or driving in to get a new tire.
I had a blowout one time and by the time I pulled over there was close to 4K in damage to the camper, my point is driving on one tire when the other is flat could cause it to come apart and cause damage, a lot of it so I do not advise driving with the flat.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjoey View Post
We are preparing our road trip next week and just wondering if any Sunseeker owners ever had to change a tire. Ours came with a spare tire but no wrench nor jack. Planning to bring a bottle jack, breaker bar/wrench and torque wrench just in case.

Opinions?
I travel the same way, got caught for over 5 hours waiting for road service one time, never again. I will say be careful, my incident was on the New York interstate, had a state trooper read me the riot act about me doing it myself. I was lucky and was able to get past the shoulder and had a safe distance between me and traffic.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjoey View Post
Did your coach comes with jack and wrenches?
Also where do you set the jack to lift the front or rear?

Thanks to all inputs 😊
Never seen a unit that comes with tools to change a tire. Travel like your original statement said, bottle jack, breaker bar, torque wrench and sockets. I will add in flairs or some way to light things up at nite for better safety.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #45

Tires or jack

I have a Trailer Aid! Better than Carrying a heavy Jack
I used it the first week I had it on the road in at Walmart parking lot in Woodstock, New Brunswick.

Will not work with single axle! Must have an RV with two axles. You drive it with the axle with the good tire and it raises the bad tire axle enough to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA106E5D-ADD4-4DB5-8854-D015072D5F63.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	205178  
Luisde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #46

Tires or jack

I have a Trailer Aid! Better than Carrying a heavy Jack
I used it the first week I had it on the road in at Walmart parking lot in Woodstock, New Brunswick.

Will not work with single axle! Must have an RV with two axles. You drive it with the axle with the good tire and it raises the bad tire axle enough to remove.
Luisde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker, tire