Old 05-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Spare tire and jack

We are preparing our road trip next week and just wondering if any Sunseeker owners ever had to change a tire. Ours came with a spare tire but no wrench nor jack. Planning to bring a bottle jack, breaker bar/wrench and torque wrench just in case.

Opinions?
Old 05-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #2

I have everything to do myself if the need arose, but I use Roadside assist.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

Me? I sometimes bring a spare. I have levelers and tools to lift and change. I suggest a big breaker bar in addition to the torque wrench. 140ft lbs can be a stretch for some. A tourque multiplier can help too. Practice at home first. Also consider the fill valves. I don't use extenders so I can move wheels without even thinking of the valves.

I am underweight enough I am comfortable to limp on a single on one of the rears if needed. This is rare, the underweight, based on my chassis and length, and should not normally be planned for. (Fullly loaded, we have literally a ton of CCC unused with full tanks. I could dump the fresh and lose 300lb or so right over the rear axle.)

When we bring our cargo trailer, instead of a toad, we bring the spare. With a toad, I am comfortable getting service to me, or driving in to get a new tire.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 AM   #4

I have had to change out a flat before. I do have road side assist but they said it would be 6hr before they could have some one come out!! Changed it my self and dropped the coverage.
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toytec View Post
I have had to change out a flat before. I do have road side assist but they said it would be 6hr before they could have some one come out!! Changed it my self and dropped the coverage.
Did your coach comes with jack and wrenches?
Also where do you set the jack to lift the front or rear?

Thanks to all inputs 😊
Old 05-12-2019, 05:10 AM   #6
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
X2 and I moved the spare to huge rear exterior compartment fastened to rear interior wall-easier to get at than crawling under rig and unchaining and lowering it on the road.
Thought 2650s were discontinued after 2017?
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I am in the prime of my decrepitude"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Yep, x2 here. I don't relish the thought of having to perform the change, but would if roadside took forever.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjoey View Post
Did your coach comes with jack and wrenches?
Also where do you set the jack to lift the front or rear?

Thanks to all inputs ��
No, I've never seen a coach come with any kind of tire changing equipment.
I place my jack directly under the front I-Beam on side with flat. Rear I place jack under axle spring pad on side of flat.
And, if your getting a bottle jack don't waste your time with anything under a 20 ton jack. Smaller jacks like 12 ton will work but it is much harder to "stroke" the jack handle to extend it. 20 ton is much easier.
If there's a Harbor Freight in your area, a 20 ton can be had for around $40.00 with one of their discount coupons. Not the best jack but you may only use it on or two times. Have one going on 7 years now and it always works.
A decant torque multiplier can be had for around $50-$75. It will save you from carrying breaker bars and killing your back trying to loosen a lug nut. Those two tools will do the job for you. You may never need them, but you'll have only around $100-$125 in them...less than 2 good meals out on the town.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yep, x2 here. I don't relish the thought of having to perform the change, but would if roadside took forever.
afaik, fr only sells 2650s to CanaDream and its their most if not only coach that they only offer rentals during winter.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
No, I've never seen a coach come with any kind of tire changing equipment.
I place my jack directly under the front I-Beam on side with flat. Rear I place jack under axle spring pad on side of flat.
And, if your getting a bottle jack don't waste your time with anything under a 20 ton jack. Smaller jacks like 12 ton will work but it is much harder to "stroke" the jack handle to extend it. 20 ton is much easier.
If there's a Harbor Freight in your area, a 20 ton can be had for around $40.00 with one of their discount coupons. Not the best jack but you may only use it on or two times. Have one going on 7 years now and it always works.
A decant torque multiplier can be had for around $50-$75. It will save you from carrying breaker bars and killing your back trying to loosen a lug nut. Those two tools will do the job for you. You may never need them, but you'll have only around $100-$125 in them...less than 2 good meals out on the town.
Grumpy
We have princess auto here which is like harbor freight and will check a 20T bottle jack.
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

I was on EBay and got the E450 takeout tools that came with the chassis but were removed by someone and sold.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #12

Additionally, if the flat is on the rear, and is an outside tire on your dual's, you don't need a jack. Just drive the inside good tire up onto a few leveling blocks or some 2x8 or 2x10 lumber that you may use for leveling. It will lift the outside tire off the ground high enough to change the outside tire.
Also, get yourself a simple tire valve tool, a buck or two. Small tool that can tighten the valve core in the valve stem. You would be suprised at how often a leak is from a loose valve core.
Also, I would recommend a good quality tire plug kit. Won't do anything for a blown tire, but many times a leak may be from a simple nail or screw. If you can see it and pull it out, a simple 10 buck plug kit may be handy. I won't travel far with a plugged tire, but it may get you safely off a busy interstate or out of the boonies where you can properly take care of it.
Depending where your travels take you, roadside service may be only an hour away. Then again, I once watched a rig parked on the roadside in BC Canada for two days while waiting for tire service.
Grumpy

Old 05-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #13

I need to add this for safety reasons...
When using a bottle jack, the front and rear axle will be resting on a very small diameter round ram, maybe 2 inches in diameter. It is very easy for the axle to slip off that jack, even if the tires are blocked.
Years ago I came across a company called Safe Jack. They make bottle jacks and accessories, one of which is a Bottle Jack Lift Pad. These slip on the ram of the jack and cradle the axle.
The one I purchased is their 20 ton model 37M-SJR620. It is pricey, but it is worth it. They do make lothers for smaller jacks.
The only place I have ever seen them for sale is through the company itself, not through any outside vendors.
Again, this is just me and my erring on the side of safety and being prepared.
Have used it 3 times in 7 years, once on my rig, and twice helping others out.
Grumpy

Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
We have princess auto here which is like harbor freight and will check a 20T bottle jack.

Thanks for the info!

Be aware that the larger bottle jacks may not fit under your axle bolts if the tire is flat! On my wide spread axle I needed to pull up onto my leveler ramp to get the height necessary to place the bottle jack.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
Be aware that the larger bottle jacks may not fit under your axle bolts if the tire is flat! On my wide spread axle I needed to pull up onto my leveler ramp to get the height necessary to place the bottle jack.
If you look around, like Harbor Freight, they carry two 20 tonners, a regular height and a low profile. Low profile may need to be placed on a few inches of board to work right.
I have a regular height and it fits under my axle's front and rear just fine. But, I am using that lift pad, so I lift from the axle tube.
As far as physical size, a 20 tonner is really no bigger than a 12 ton, just "fatter" and a few more lbs of weight.
Even with a front flat plenty of room under the I-Beam axle. Rear, unless there are 2 flats on the same side, rig will still retain it's height, plenty of room for a jack. Both tires flat...well now your in deep doo-doo.
Grumpy

Old 05-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
Retired Old Fart

My trailer did not have a lug wrench and I had a spare in the basement. Problem was the lug nuts were not a size on that lug wrench. So I bought a new 4-way that works fine (and I now also carry a few sockets for both trailer and tow vehicle size and a 26" breaker bar for extra leverage).

So make sure to test the lug wrench to make sure it actually is the right size before needing it.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
My trailer did not have a lug wrench and I had a spare in the basement. Problem was the lug nuts were not a size on that lug wrench. So I bought a new 4-way that works fine (and I now also carry a few sockets for both trailer and tow vehicle size and a 26" breaker bar for extra leverage).

So make sure to test the lug wrench to make sure it actually is the right size before needing it.
Thatís a good reminder! When we had a tt same thing happened when we had a flat.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
We are preparing our road trip next week and just wondering if any Sunseeker owners ever had to change a tire. Ours came with a spare tire but no wrench nor jack. Planning to bring a bottle jack, breaker bar/wrench and torque wrench just in case.

Opinions?
I am curious - where do you store your spare tire> I have a 2014 Sunseeker C class
Bob Gowryluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #19

If your rig is on an E-450 chassis, and if the lug nut is the type with the attached cone free spinning washer, than you will need a 7/8 inch socket.
And don't use a standard basic socket...you will need an impact type socket.
You have 8 lug nuts to take off, and their at 140 or more ft/lb. A regular socket will split around the 3rd or 4th lug nut.
Remember, you gotta put em back on also, to around 140 ft/lb torque.
A big 4 way might be ok if you have the shoulders and back to handle it, but 8 lugs off and then 8 lugs back on is too much for my 70 year old bod.
Look into a tool called a torque multiplier. On an E-450 its like taking a lug nut off your Toyota. Big rig truckers use them to remove those massive wheel lug nuts on their rigs. Their so easy that you actually have to be careful when tightening a lug nut...tool multiplies torque so efficently that if your not paying attention you can actually strip a stud.
Follow the instructions and no problems.
Grumpy

Old 05-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
If your rig is on an E-450 chassis, and if the lug nut is the type with the attached cone free spinning washer, than you will need a 7/8 inch socket.
And don't use a standard basic socket...you will need an impact type socket.
You have 8 lug nuts to take off, and their at 140 or more ft/lb. A regular socket will split around the 3rd or 4th lug nut.
Remember, you gotta put em back on also, to around 140 ft/lb torque.
Look into a tool called a torque multiplier. On an E-450 its like taking a lug nut off your Toyota. Big rig truckers use them to remove those massive wheel lug nuts on their rigs. Their so easy that you actually have to be careful when tightening a lug nut...tool multiplies torque so efficently that if your not paying attention you can actually strip a stud.
Follow the instructions and no problems.
Grumpy
sorry but this reply must have been for someone elde==se
Bob Gowryluk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker, tire