Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Speaker wire connection location-3100SS

So, on my drive home from the dealer with my new 3100SS, the drivers door speaker just quit working. Occasionally, it will come on, but just for like 5 seconds or so. While it was at Ford for an unrelated issue, they confirmed that the door speaker was in proper working condition. The left front speaker does work in the cabover area (hence why I have been trying to get the cover off, to check connections). However, I was testing the A + B + All stereo switch that is on the cabinet door by the entrance door and discovered that apparently that switch will kill the front door speakers if you have it in B position. The Passenger side door speaker works properly and will cut on and off when you rotate the switch. The wires come from the back of the dash unit and go somewhere ??, attach to that switch somewhere, and then return to the dash unit and splice to the OEM wires going to the ds door speaker. Question being, would anyone know where that splice may be? The cabinet is double walled with the workings (or wires) of the switch unaccessible without some major surgery.
The rig is going to CW for an unrelated repair on Monday and they will be looking into this problem. I'm just trying to make their troubleshooting a bit easier by getting some background info. if possible. It seems to exhibit a poor/loose connection or a semi-broken wire.
Thanks for any usable info. given.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

Well, I did a work- around to solve my problem. Pulled the H-U and realized that the factory just directs one side of the speaker wire up to the "speaker selection switch" to be able to disable the door speaker(s). As I personally don't ever care about the front door speakers ever being turned off, I just spliced the front speaker direct to bypass the switch. Works great now.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3100ss, cat, location