Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #1

Speakers? Only surround sound with DVD?

We have 2018 DS3011, we have a Jensen receiver w/ DVD. When playing a DVD we get sound through all the speakers in the Coach but we cannot get it when we are just using the TV. The air-conditioning is so loud we have to have the TV on the loudest setting and we still struggle to hear it.

Is there anything we can do? We've tried tracing the wires but we would have to pull out cabinets to see what's going on.

Same thing outside we would love that TV to play on the outdoor speakers but I think we will just have to buy a sound bar.

What about Smart TVs to stream movies etc?

Thanks in advance for input!
Kchamp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #2

The air conditioner does make it hard to hear the tv!
I haven't played a dvd on ours to check the surround sound but it does work when watching tv.
The Jensen mode switch must be set on HDMI ARC and tv speakers off. Sometimes mine does all of this automatically when I turn on the tv. Other times I have to do it myself.
I also haven't tried to get outside tv sound on the outside speakers but it would be nice if possible.
I have to be sure the B speaker switch (outside speakers) is off when running any sound through the Jensen so my neighbors don't have to listen to it.
The C speaker switch doesn't seem to do anything.
Our living room has a smart TV. We were at a campground over the weekend with excellent wi-fi and streamed Netflix and Amazon during our wind-down day of a 3 week trip.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #3

The "C" switch turns on/off the subwoofer in our 3011. The sub is located inside the U seat next to the sofa. Someday I'll have to redo that config as the bench side panel makes a lot of vibration noise when you turn up the volume. In my case you can see the sub if you remove the drawer in the bottom of the bench.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 AM   #4

My 2017 3011ds did same thing. I found a post on here that said to swap the 2 hdmi cables that are plugged into the tv. I did so and everything works as it should now. Good luck
Azzy1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy1016 View Post
My 2017 3011ds did same thing. I found a post on here that said to swap the 2 hdmi cables that are plugged into the tv. I did so and everything works as it should now. Good luck
Isn't that sort of sloppiness amazing and unacceptable? On ours, it was the coaxial wires coming in from outside. I had to swap SAT and CABLE where they were wired up incorrectly at the factory.

Amazing.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:34 AM   #6

There is also this little thing called..."Formatting." DVD movies are formatted for surround sound and only some TV shows are formatted for surround sound. I'm not sure if any radio stations are formatted for surround sound. Our old 07 Jayco had S.S. but you only heard it on certain TV programs or DVD movies. Anything else just played in Stereo mode.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

We had the same problem with our Jensen. We solved it by running a cord
from the TV to the audio jack on the Jensen.

The cord:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #8

I bought this at amazon. it works great, although remote sensor is on sub-woofer on the floor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

As Gismosmom said, you need a line from the aux out on the TV (or a headphone jack) to aux in on your sound system to pipe TV sound through. A subwoofer should not require decoding as surround does. Georgetown seems to have modified the Toshiba TV in our 2011 330TS for this purpose and added a balun in that line. Have not been successful in replacing that with a HDMI cable yet.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #10

I use the tv audio out.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
llr

my sound system has an ARC (Audio return channel) option that will play the TV sound trough it.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

In some RVs the red and blue wall Jacks are connected to the Audio In on the radio. This means you can run a pair of RCA cables from the Audio out on the tv to the Audio In wall Jacks. You made need to go to tv setup to tell it to send audio to the Audio out Jacks (although it was automatic on mine.)
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
The air conditioner does make it hard to hear the tv!
I haven't played a dvd on ours to check the surround sound but it does work when watching tv.
The Jensen mode switch must be set on HDMI ARC and tv speakers off. Sometimes mine does all of this automatically when I turn on the tv. Other times I have to do it myself.
I also haven't tried to get outside tv sound on the outside speakers but it would be nice if possible.
I have to be sure the B speaker switch (outside speakers) is off when running any sound through the Jensen so my neighbors don't have to listen to it.
The C speaker switch doesn't seem to do anything.
Our living room has a smart TV. We were at a campground over the weekend with excellent wi-fi and streamed Netflix and Amazon during our wind-down day of a 3 week trip.

Thanks but I feel challenged. The only way I could figure out to get TV speakers off was to lower the volume all the way. Jensen is on HDMI arc. This is my sound menu for the TV do you see anything I should change? Much appreciated! FYI I learned in this feed is the sea speaker is for the sub woofer that is apparently under the table.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2886.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	149845
Kchamp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #14

on mine, in setup..audio i can turn off tv speakers
Old 08-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchamp40 View Post
Thanks but I feel challenged. The only way I could figure out to get TV speakers off was to lower the volume all the way. Jensen is on HDMI arc. This is my sound menu for the TV do you see anything I should change? Much appreciated! FYI I learned in this feed is the sea speaker is for the sub woofer that is apparently under the table.
Attachment 149845
Turning off the speakers will not help you get audio from the TV(which I take it you are watching broadcast TV) to the Jensen. The only way to get audio for the broadcast TV is connect a cable from the Line Out or Headphone jack out on the TV and connect to the Jensen receiver AUX Line input.

Using the Headphone jack you would need to turn up the volume on the TV to send an audio signal to the Receiver.

Now if the TV has a Line out, 99.999% of the time that is NOT controlled by the volume control.

Now in your Pic... is says SPIDF... that is digital signal which could be a RCA type jack or Fiber Optic, THO the Jansen receiver would have to have a SPIDF input(which I doubt).

Now getting the audio cable might be a challenge... like my Sandpiper, the cables go thru the walls to the area where the Jensen Receiver is at, luckily I can remove a panel below it an access all the Jensen ins and outs!!! But if I had to run new cables it might be a challenge.

Now my Sandpiper did have the audio cables going from the TV to the AUX in on the Jensen, where the Sandpiper is at we do not get broadcast, so we use DirecTV and I connected the audio cable to it so we can hear the Sat box thu all of the speakers, A: Living Room B: Bedroom C: Outside!

I think my Jensen has a Audio in on the front of the receiver, that is to connect old school cassette player or a iPod from the headphone jack to it!
Check and see if you can do any of these. If not then a Sound Bar looks like it will be in your future!

By the way the HDMI arc is for the HDMI cable that goes from your Jensen DVD unit to the TV, so it displays the highest quality picture that a standard DVD can offer!!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #16

Does your trailer have 3 audio Jacks (red, blue, and yellow) on the wall by the tv, along with the two cable TV Jacks and the green button for turning on the signal Booster? If so the red and blue should be the Audio In Jacks for the Jensen. Connect the Audio out Jacks from your TV to these then select the auxiliary sound input on the jensen.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:44 AM   #17

We just got back from the Gulf beaches and I think I have this figured out. We were able to get 10 broadcast channels. It was a life saver since Harvey decided to dump on us! Ours sync'd up if you turn the Jensen system on first then turn the TV on. If we did that, the Furion TV remote also sync'd up and the volume display on the TV said Power Amplifier instead of Volume. Now I just need to figure out how to set the dang clock!!!
TnG2291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #18

TnG2291,
Here is a copy of the manual for the Jensen which I assume is the JWM6A. See page 6 for clock set up.
jwm6a_owner_s_manual.pdf

Kchamp,
In looking at your sound settings, it looks like your surround sound is "Off". Try changing that to "On" which might help. On mine in that space it shows "TV sound" which I turn off to watch a DVD on the surround sound through the Jensen head unit. Once you turn the surround sound on, turn up the volume on the Jensen also and you should get it through the Jensen unit.
See if any of that helps
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #19

I have yet to own an RV that the sound system worked as it should when I picked up the unit. In ever one of them I had to take out the head unit and either redo the cabling from the sources and/or add the correct cables. Had several speakers that were not even connected, but at least the wires were there.

The installers just throw them in and appear to have no training
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #20

Thanks HopHed ! I now have a clock !
TnG2291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd