Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

Steering stabilizer

I have a 2017 Forester 2861DS, this topic has probably been covered many times, for that I apologize. Just wondering about a steering stablizer is worth $200. Plus another $100. Bracket? I looked under the rig and see a shock attached, thought perhaps that was a stablizer but looking at net those have heavy springs? Question does it work and will I notice it?
Thanks
rick freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

Hi, that shock is a stabilizer. The RSS and Safe-T-Plus give some other handling benefits. Are you having handling problems?
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

The factory “shock” on the steering arm is NOT a stabilizer. It is a dampener that helps to reduce the turning pressure. The units mentioned above are that and a stabilizer that keeps the steering centered. The SafeTPlus uses hydraulics and the Roadmaster RSSC uses a spring. I have had both and they both work well. If you get the wheels alligned and ensure you have 5 degrees or more +caster dialed in first, then add the stabilizer and a rear track bar, your 30+ foot MH will drive like an Econoline 150 (which I had).
FR reimbursed me for the allignment but not the cost of the adjustable bushing. They will do that on new units only.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #4

Roadmaster here on my Chevy.
Makes the steering heavier but tracks much better. (with the 5 degree caster like Duckogram).
One handed driving most of the time. Wind is still an issue as always.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
Hi, that shock is a stabilizer. The RSS and Safe-T-Plus give some other handling benefits. Are you having handling problems?

Not that I’m aware of. This is my 3rd new class c. Had 24’ Quest Fleetwood, wind vortex was baddd as was wind. Had Winabago 33’ bh mini wini 2014 constantly chased it steering all the way going to Montana.
Now 2017 Forest River Forester 2861DS is pretty good. Recently went to Branson Missouri from los angeles, texas New Mexico anyway 4,000 miles. Tired after 300 miles, wind was issue and truck vortex
Don’t see that changing much with a class c. I got it that the steering stablizer returns to center quickly but
Really big deal?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick freeman View Post
...Now 2017 Forest River Forester 2861DS is pretty good. Recently went to Branson Missouri from los angeles, texas New Mexico anyway 4,000 miles. Tired after 300 miles, wind was issue and truck vortex
Don’t see that changing much with a class c. I got it that the steering stablizer returns to center quickly but
Really big deal?
Thanks
If you are worn out after a 300 leg, your handling IS an issue. The steering stabilizer in and of itself is, IMO, a “medium” deal. Consider any addition to your chassis that improves handling/driveability/manners as a benefit. There is no single magic fix. It is incremental. So stabilizer+allignment w/+5 and rear track bar will get you to your destination 300 miles down the road without beating you to death fighting winds.
Adding air bags (standard equip. and I suggest 70psi inflation), heavier anti-sway bars, koni FSD shocks and top quality tires along with a balanced load, will all improve your ride. So that’s a direct answer to your question based on direct experience over a long period of time.
An additional advertised benefit of the stabilizer is steering control in the event of a blowout. I have not experienced one of those events thankfully.
Happy Motoring,
Ducky
Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Thanks

You’re a very wise man with alot of good info for those like me willing to consider what you’re giving
Thanks Duck
Old 08-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

I also have a 2017 2861DS and have done only two things to make it a pleasure to drive. I have driven it 16k miles and winds and semi trucks are not a problem. Get an alignment done by a truck/RV shop and insist that the caster be at least 5 degrees and run the front tires at 70 to 75 psi.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
If you are worn out after a 300 leg, your handling IS an issue. The steering stabilizer in and of itself is, IMO, a “medium” deal. Consider any addition to your chassis that improves handling/driveability/manners as a benefit. There is no single magic fix. It is incremental. So stabilizer+allignment w/+5 and rear track bar will get you to your destination 300 miles down the road without beating you to death fighting winds.
Adding air bags (standard equip. and I suggest 70psi inflation), heavier anti-sway bars, koni FSD shocks and top quality tires along with a balanced load, will all improve your ride. So that’s a direct answer to your question based on direct experience over a long period of time.
An additional advertised benefit of the stabilizer is steering control in the event of a blowout. I have not experienced one of those events thankfully.
Happy Motoring,
Ducky

Very well put... improvements are INCREMENTAL... I have a 27' class c on a 2017 E-450 chassis... I started with a Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer and a Supersteer Track bar... dramatic difference in all but strong winds... for winds, you need to add Heavy Duty sway bars (front and rear... I used Hellwig)… finally, all coaches rock on curves and in the wind... air bags in the rear help... if you don't have them, Sumo Springs front and rear are even superior to air ride. If you have all of the above, expect your coach to handle like a $400K diesel pusher (with much greater acceleration). These chassis SHOULD come configured this way from the factory as they are neither comfortable (nor safe) to drive in many conditions without them. For your own comfort and safety, I highly recommend you spend the extra $3K it will cost to do all of these mods. Your motor homing will be much more pleasant if you do.
Richard Loewenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote