Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #1

Step stopped working, oh my!

So here goes. My step suddenly stoped working. I did quite a bit of troubleshooting as I wasn’t sure why the step stoped after less than 2 years. I bought our 2016 2400R used last year. What? So I spent several hours troubleshooting and because of the help from the Kwiki website (Lippert) I bought a pigtail to check the wiring. $11.00. Nothing showed up. The step light was coming on so I knew the step had power. By the way, the steps were in the fully retract position which meant working on the steps looked very difficult. Finally checked to see if it was the motor by cutting the direct wires (there was supposed to be a two wire connector but it was a direct wire from controller to motor). Then applied 12 volts to just the motor and all I got was a spark. No movement. Emailed Kwiki and was told I would have to release the steps to get the motor out. How? Was told to use a long needle nose pliers to take out the cotter pin and then drive the Clovis pin out with a hammer. Well, that worked! Not easy though. Took the 3 bolts out of the motor but it wouldn’t release. Took the entire gear system with motor out and worried I might have to take the whole step off to replace the gear with no clearance to get the nuts back on the bolts when replacing the whole gear plate. On the workbench I took the motor off and took a picture to send to Kiwi to maybe get a new motor. I am not a particularly patient person at times! So I took the motor apart (no risk if it was broken anyway). Simple permanent magnet motor. Lubed everything and put it back together. Tested and it worked fine. Put everything back together and steps are working fine. What would that have cost at a dealer? If anyone has any questions I am now an expert on single step repair! Knowing what I know now I could save several hours doing the repair. Total money spent zero.. cheers.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

You are in a dwindling group of folks that actually have the KSA’s to fix things rather then taking out the wallet and buying a replacement. Well done Sir!

Caveat: No pics so it never happened.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

Step stopped working, oh my!

Thanks for the reminder. Here’s a pic of the motor on my terribly disorganized work bench.
Update Kwikee is sending me a new motor. Good customer service!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	167618  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

2 year times how may?

Wow, that is one old looking pic to be just two years old. Seen five year old wally world mowers laying dead next to a tree that didn't look that rough. Wonder what undercoat prep was used by the oem, sea salt? Please tell me it's old grease.... I can hear it cry for some zinc chromate from here in Georgia...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

The plate you see is the inside! There was a piece of gasket on the edge when assembled that allowed water and dirt to intrude. The label on the motor casing is mostly from my dirty hands! Kwikee has seen this photo and is sending me a new motor. Good customer service.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

headed your way..

Whew.... that was close. Just about jumped in the coach with my tools, some steaks, makers mark, and coke zero to come help ya out...
Old 04-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Thats some serious corrosion in there. I’m thinking it will get all cleaned, lubed and sealed with a shiny new motor.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #8

The nature of the beast! It's an RV! Now where do you live so I can bring mine to you to fix if this happens!
PeJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #9

Your lucky that you are so handy and mechanically inclined! My Solera's step broke recently and were hanging out in L.A. I probably broke it pulling in too close to the curb. I tried wiring them in( not very well!) until I got back home. The weld had broken on a bolt and could not be replaced. The motor had to be replaced also. Total: over $500. in parts plus labor for a mobile mechanic coming to my house. From now on I will be ALOT more careful about getting too close to curbs(tricky though when on busy city streets & not wanting to stick out too far into traffic.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Ours quit working last year same as yours. Rig was less than two years old. Never thought to call qwikee. We removed the steps and bought a new motor. Motor is the same as one used for power windows in some cars. Motor cost about $60 bucks on Amazon. Lots of threads about this problem and it's too bad the parts used are crap and don't last. Step removal wasn't easy in the closed position and after getting them off we saw the easier method with the cotter pin. Next time we'll know .
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Whew.... that was close. Just about jumped in the coach with my tools, some steaks, makers mark, and coke zero to come help ya out...
OMG! Please tell us you don't waste MM on Phony Coke. That'll get you banned from crossing the border into Kentucky for sure. Hopefully you meant you have them separately.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #12

Same thing happened to me. All the You Tube videos show how to take the motor out with the stairs out. As you did I removed the cutter pin and shaft then lowered the stair. I took the motor unit only out. Ran 12 volt power to the motor and it ran in both directions. Didn't take the motor apart. Lubed everything and reassembled. Works fine. The motor seemed to have froze up.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #13

carb thing

MM and fake coke doesn't mess with the carb count.. My girlish figure rules....

Now really freak out... hendricks and diet tonic, cucumber ofcouse..

Hey Peja, arkanaaswaswa is a bit from ATL but we have been know to work for food, actually a decent grilled rib eye..... resevation prefered, drop ins welcome (with a cooler)..
Old 05-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #14

Different Kwikee step problem

Steps run in and out, or attempt to, as designed. Motor starts normally for a few seconds then a Gawd awful sound comes roaring out for about 15 - 20 seconds then everything shuts down with steps probably 2/3 deployed or retracted, depending on which way they were going. I can get them almost all the way in by kicking, pushing cussing at them, but no way to get them all the way out. I am assuming the gear on the motor is partially stripped, but I haven't gotten under there for more than a few seconds so have not pulled the cover to look. That's tomorrow's chore. Today I patched the hole in the roof. Isn't RV ownership entertaining?

2015 Georgetown 270.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Not likely to find SME’s here Sandy B. I suggest you take a pic and post in the Georgetown section. Ken can prolly help you.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #16

SME's??? I posted here because this was a Kwikee step thread. These steps are common across many RV's, certainly not just a Georgetown issue.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #17
Certified Curmudgeon

Just made a suggestion. I made that suggestion because the OP’s step is on a MBS, not a Class A. Not all Kwikee’s are created equally either. Many distinctly different models, some with one step, some with more. The likelyhood of somebody having Subject Matter Expertise (SME) that can help you would be much greater in the big box section.
You can certainly post here if you want.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #18

yes, there are lots of Kwikee step designs. Description sounds like a stripped nylon drive gear in the motor. If you help it either way you can probably get it in and out. The steps themselves will run until the motor current hits a high point and then the controller "thinks" they are out or in, respectively. If you park close to a curb, the controller will shut it down when it hits the curb...no real harm done as a stall on the motor is a stall, no matter what.

The real damage to the motor and the eventual failure of motor or gear box is due to putting weight on the steps when partially extended (hit a curb or not waiting for them to fully deploy.) The linkage when fully extended places very little load on the gears, but when partially deployed the gears begin to take a lot of load due to weight on the steps and they strip out.

Bottom line is OP needs a new motor if he has the latest design. Amazon and maybe $70 or so. Make sure you get the right "series" motor as they are all different.

All it takes to be an SME on Kwikee steps is fixing them once...and I am sure that there are a lot of us in that boat.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #19

Had same problem on 2017 Sunseeker MBS after pulling cotter pin and driving out clevis pin i removed gearbox cover and reinstalled 1 tooth different now it doesn't bind up and works fine
Jlh2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #20

After putting mine back together all seems fine. Kwike sent me a new motor which I am carrying with me. Not really sure why it worked after reassembly. The gears seem massive. They look very robust.