Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

Storing for winter tips

Some have winterized our new Sunseeker, installed a new cover along with tire covers, turned the battery switch off inside the coach. Being a newbie to camping this past year this will be our first winter so here is a couple of questions and I appreciate in advance any tips by all.
1. Will the shore batteries be ok if not charged over winter?
2. What about the coach motor battery?
Parked outside on concrete in PA.
Thanks!
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #2

Disconnect the negative cables on the house batteries. A few things will draw power from the house batteries even with disconnect off. With the negative disconnected they will be fine for the winter assuming they were fully charged when you disconnect them.
I also install a pigtail on the chassis battery and once a month connect a trickle charger to keep it topped off.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Disconnect the negative cables on the house batteries. A few things will draw power from the house batteries even with disconnect off. With the negative disconnected they will be fine for the winter assuming they were fully charged when you disconnect them.

I also install a pigtail on the chassis battery and once a month connect a trickle charger to keep it topped off.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

water...

Bypass the hot water heater and drain. Get the water out of the lines, including the often overlooked outside shower. air or flush.
Put some "pink" in all of the drains, the shower P trap is the hardest to repair. Traps freeze and break. Put a little "pink" over the toliet gasket.

If you cannot supervise the coach for days on end besure you have vent covers as the factory shrouds can break from limbs, and will at some point just crack apart from the UV.

Mouse protection, I like peppermint oil....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

Another over looked item to check and drain is the water pump site bowl/filter (plastic).. if you are trying to remove all of the water from the system without using RV anti freeze..
Also, if you are using compress air, be sure to flush the toilet.. (I had a frozen broken flush valve on toilet a few year back..)
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #6

I have a Sunseeker 3100LTD. I remove the coach batteries every winter and put them on a battery maintainer every 2 months through the winter for about 24 hrs . As for the coach battery I attach a small solar panel charger to the coach battery just to have a trickle charge . Once a month I start the engine and let it warm up for a few minutes. Always starts on first crank.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

Batteries and mice are the 2 biggest problems. RV batteries are $$$$$ so I like to put a full charge in them and store them in my house out of the cold. Trickle charge them once a month. Those AGM batteries are hundreds of dollars to replace!

Mice I use peppermint oil and dryer sheets stuffed everywhere. The RV ends up smelling like a candy cane fresh out of the clothes dryer. It has to really smell strong to repel mice.

I also cover the entire RV and once a month crank the engine over and run it for a while. Otherwise you'll have a dead battery when the RV season comes around.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #8

Forgot to mention I use dryer sheets, fresh cab pouches and I also have a battery operated ultrasonic rodent eliminator . I change the batteries once a month
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWallet View Post
Some have winterized our new Sunseeker, installed a new cover along with tire covers, turned the battery switch off inside the coach. Being a newbie to camping this past year this will be our first winter so here is a couple of questions and I appreciate in advance any tips by all.
1. Will the shore batteries be ok if not charged over winter?
2. What about the coach motor battery?
Parked outside on concrete in PA.
Thanks!
We are located in South Western PA and keep our MH in the mines. No winterizing. Just turn propane tank off. Stays clean and dry
RUTROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

I also use fox urine in granule form around the outside of the RV.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Bypass the hot water heater and drain. Get the water out of the lines, including the often overlooked outside shower. air or flush.

Put some "pink" in all of the drains, the shower P trap is the hardest to repair. Traps freeze and break. Put a little "pink" over the toliet gasket.

If you cannot supervise the coach for days on end besure you have vent covers as the factory shrouds can break from limbs, and will at some point just crack apart from the UV.

Mouse protection, I like peppermint oil....

Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I also use fox urine in granule form around the outside of the RV.

Never thought of that. Thanks
Old 11-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTROAD View Post
We are located in South Western PA and keep our MH in the mines. No winterizing. Just turn propane tank off. Stays clean and dry

I think I know where you mean.....what do they charge you?
Old 11-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek6669 View Post
I have a Sunseeker 3100LTD. I remove the coach batteries every winter and put them on a battery maintainer every 2 months through the winter for about 24 hrs . As for the coach battery I attach a small solar panel charger to the coach battery just to have a trickle charge . Once a month I start the engine and let it warm up for a few minutes. Always starts on first crank.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWallet View Post
I think I know where you mean.....what do they charge you?
Wampum under ground storage ours is 33' runs 350 for 5 months. Nice to know it's out of the elements. Stays a constant 55 degrees. They let you go back in if you need to as well.
RUTROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTROAD View Post
Wampum under ground storage ours is 33' runs 350 for 5 months. Nice to know it's out of the elements. Stays a constant 55 degrees. They let you go back in if you need to as well.

Little over 100 miles from home makes it a stretch for me

Tags
winter