RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 149
Sumo Springs on Forester Model 2801 GTS?

So my unit just has storage cabinets over the cab and no bunk thus I don't carry the weight of those that do. I phoned SuperSprings.com today and they honestly felt like adding their rubber "springs" to the front of my unit might give me too much of a stiff ride to be an improvement.

Has anyone with my model added these to the front or back of their unit? (I have added the Roadmaster steering stabilizer a couple of years ago that tightened up the steering but not the ride, obviously.)

The Sumo Spring product talks about minimizing some of the sway you get when a big rig passes you which would be nice to eliminate if possible. Thanks for your input.
__________________
ArkRVHog
2018 Forester Model 2801 GTS
Little Rock, AR

Days Camped 2020 - 29/Days Camped 2019 - 71/
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,209
I also have a Trekker cap unit......no beds over the cab.

What improvement are you looking to accomplish?
Itís an RV....not a sports car.
My rig has air ride suspension in the rear......yours?

Just wondering.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Dcbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Smyrna Beach Florida
Posts: 154
I have owned my 2800QS GTS for 2.5 years about 2 months ago I added the Summo Springs on the front and what a difference in the drive, the biggest improvement I felt was the front end doesn't dip and roll as it used to. I wish I did this at the same time I did the front wheel alignment when I first purchased the MH that's how much I enjoy the drive
__________________
Don & Liz B.
Pink Retired Greyhound
2016 GTS 2800QSF
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I also have a Trekker cap unit......no beds over the cab.

What improvement are you looking to accomplish?
Itís an RV....not a sports car.
My rig has air ride suspension in the rear......yours?

Just wondering.
From my original post - The Sumo Spring product talks about minimizing some of the sway you get when a big rig passes you which would be nice to eliminate if possible.
__________________
ArkRVHog
2018 Forester Model 2801 GTS
Little Rock, AR

Days Camped 2020 - 29/Days Camped 2019 - 71/
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
I have owned my 2800QS GTS for 2.5 years about 2 months ago I added the Summo Springs on the front and what a difference in the drive, the biggest improvement I felt was the front end doesn't dip and roll as it used to. I wish I did this at the same time I did the front wheel alignment when I first purchased the MH that's how much I enjoy the drive
Excellent...just the validation I was looking for. Can you confirm the exact model number of the springs you put on? Did you do it yourself?

My DW and I love our 2801 (which as you know isn't manufactured anymore under the Forester brand.) It's the perfect length, room for everything we need, and tows our CRV easily.
__________________
ArkRVHog
2018 Forester Model 2801 GTS
Little Rock, AR

Days Camped 2020 - 29/Days Camped 2019 - 71/
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Tombsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 558
I believe you should have Ride-rite airbags on the rear already. I do on my 2015 2801QS. I usually run about 75 psi. I recently added front and rear sway bars, Bilstein shocks, and a steering stabilizer that all come on the newer units I think. It wasnít terrible before the upgrades but itís great now.
__________________
Brian
2015 Forester 2801QS GTS
TOAD-Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 kayak and Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter on a custom trailer.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Dcbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Smyrna Beach Florida
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
Excellent...just the validation I was looking for. Can you confirm the exact model number of the springs you put on? Did you do it yourself?

My DW and I love our 2801 (which as you know isn't manufactured anymore under the Forester brand.) It's the perfect length, room for everything we need, and tows our CRV easily.
My 2800 is the Sunseeker sister to your Forester 2801 I will go back and see what model I purchased from Amazon took me 20 minutes to install. If you go to You Tube lookup RV Habits, Lou has the same as you and he does a great job explaining MODS he has done. Have have stolen several of them LOL
__________________
Don & Liz B.
Pink Retired Greyhound
2016 GTS 2800QSF
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Dcbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Smyrna Beach Florida
Posts: 154
Here you go


SuperSprings International, Inc. SSF-106-47 | SumoSprings Front for Ford E-150|E-250, Ford E-350|E-450, Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500|3500
__________________
Don & Liz B.
Pink Retired Greyhound
2016 GTS 2800QSF
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I believe you should have Ride-rite airbags on the rear already. I do on my 2015 2801QS. I usually run about 75 psi. I recently added front and rear sway bars, Bilstein shocks, and a steering stabilizer that all come on the newer units I think. It wasnít terrible before the upgrades but itís great now.
Yep...I do have the Ride Rite air bags...try to start with about 60 psi on trips. Do yours seem to lose pressure after a week or so?

Appreciate the model number of the front Sumoís you installed.
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sgtlm17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,355
I installed the Sumo Springs on the front of my 2016 2801 GTS Forester. The difference is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone. Much less sway and dipping in the front end. The install was as easy as it gets. All you need to do is try and find a 10mm socket which for some reason is always missing from my set. A thumbs-up upgrade that I would do again.
__________________
2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
2011 Jeep JK Toad
Habitual RV Modifier
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Dcbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: New Smyrna Beach Florida
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I installed the Sumo Springs on the front of my 2016 2801 GTS Forester. The difference is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone. Much less sway and dipping in the front end. The install was as easy as it gets. All you need to do is try and find a 10mm socket which for some reason is always missing from my set. A thumbs-up upgrade that I would do again.
Lou didn't know if you saw post 7 LOL
__________________
Don & Liz B.
Pink Retired Greyhound
2016 GTS 2800QSF
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tombsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
Yep...I do have the Ride Rite air bags...try to start with about 60 psi on trips. Do yours seem to lose pressure after a week or so?

Appreciate the model number of the front Sumoís you installed.

They did slowly lose pressure and it was a real pain checking and filling them in the compartments. I installed a Wireless One, a little automatic on-board compressor with a remote that adjusts and displays the pressure. It was a bit of work but one of the best mods Iíve done.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3987.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	242193
__________________
Brian
2015 Forester 2801QS GTS
TOAD-Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 kayak and Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter on a custom trailer.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
sgtlm17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
Lou didn't know if you saw post 7 LOL
I did see your post, thanks Don. For my rig which is a 2016 E450 I also used Sumo Springs part number SSF 106-47. Hope this helps.
__________________
2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
2011 Jeep JK Toad
Habitual RV Modifier
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
They did slowly lose pressure and it was a real pain checking and filling them in the compartments. I installed a Wireless One, a little automatic on-board compressor with a remote that adjusts and displays the pressure. It was a bit of work but one of the best mods Iíve done.Attachment 242193
Wow...I didn't know there was such a contraption available...that is NICE. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
ArkRVHog
2018 Forester Model 2801 GTS
Little Rock, AR

Days Camped 2020 - 29/Days Camped 2019 - 71/
Days Camped 2018 - 49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2801, forester, gts, sumo, supersprings

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.