Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #1

Sunseeker (2300) Awning R/R

Hope you are Well!

I'll tell you, I have found the answers to almost all of my questions here without asking the Same Darn Questions again ( I use Google).

I knew the top of the awning was sun damaged when I bought the 2300. I realigned everything today so I got a better look at it.

Has anyone sewed a Sun Cover on the last round of material to hide/cover the bad areas? On the Boat I always used Sunbrella.
I guess there's 3 options

1. Sew a Cover On the Top 1' to cover the area that's thin.

2. Cut off a 1' and Sew a new "Bolt" on.

3. Just make a new Awning Cover (but there's only 1 area that needs to be repaired.

I have a HD walking foot sewing machine. I'm thinking I need to check my Sunbrella scraps!
CrazyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:46 PM   #2

I just use balying wire and twine on mine.

Works great.

Here's a novel idea - try opening door #4, and buy replacement awning fabric from ShadePro.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:49 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Used 8 inch eternabond on mine aligned to the coach edge. Covers the role when closed - preventing added sun damage. Put it on both the slide cover and the awning. Adhered well.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #4

Yea? The material they use on these covers looks like Harbor Freight cheap tarp material.

Only 1 foot of mine has damage. Makes sense to me, just buy a NEW One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
I just use balying wire and twine on mine.

Works great.

Here's a novel idea - try opening door #4, and buy replacement awning fabric from ShadePro.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Used 8 inch eternabond on mine aligned to the coach edge. Covers the role when closed - preventing added sun damage. Put it on both the slide cover and the awning. Adhered well.
I have never heard of "eternalbond" tape. I might order some to play with. I know the high dollar tape we use in HVAC will not stand up to UV. Even at $28.00 a roll, it would be shreds in 2 years outside.

Interesting, Thanks!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #6

Seriously, these parts are failing. Just replace them with OEM or aftermarket replacement parts. What you are thinking of doing will not last and is a waste of time - even if you have more time than money.

If you absolutely had to make an emergency field repair anything less than that would be acceptable to allow you to continue your journey or get you home.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOldGuy View Post
I have never heard of "eternalbond" tape. I might order some to play with. I know the high dollar tape we use in HVAC will not stand up to UV. Even at $28.00 a roll, it would be shreds in 2 years outside.

Interesting, Thanks!
Wait till you buy a big roll of "Eternalbond" then compair $$! Youroo
Old 01-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #8
2012 Solera

Lots of Eternabond choices. Intended for RV rooftop use. A 12 inch example from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...587140&sr=8-42
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #9

I suggest biting the bullet and replacing the entire awning material, because anything less will end up being just a temporary band-aid. After doing that, go to your home improvement center and buy a length or two of the plastic 5 or 6" gutter channel. These are sold right next to the aluminum gutter channel. These gutter channels are about 12 feet long and will just clip over the top of your rolled-up awning and provide your future UV/sun protection to the exposed awning surface. They won't stay in place while you're driving (unless wire-tied), but use them any other time the awning isn't being used. They weigh mere ounces per foot, and cost about $3.50 per 12 foot length and will over-lap to fit your need.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #10

A picture of the awning itself including the problem area would help us provide the best advice.

I did look at a picture of your Sunseeker model # and it wasn't clear to me if you have a weather guard cover or the "older" style awning (like my Sunseeker). The last wrap around the roller tube, against the roof, is treated to resist the weather. That area is where my awning first showed signs of failure and once it started to be noticeable it rapidly deteriorated. I tried awning repair tape but it was only a bandaid and the problem rapidly expanded to include other areas.

I replaced my awning last year with one from ShadePro. 16' in length. $129.00. I replaced it myself but would recommend you have a helper. It's very easy to put a hole in the new awning with all the pulling of the material that's required near the spline and any edges or instructions the bulky material comes in contact with.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #11

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

(Been working on other stuff, New Converter/Charger, took the rear camera apart and cleaned the lens (and sealed it back up), adding LED strip lights)

Tags
awning, sunseeker