Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2023, 02:54 AM   #1

Sunseeker 2350 Ford vs Chevy

I am currently having a 2350 being built and the E-350 chassis are in short supply. There is availability of the Chevy chassis though. The Chevy seems roomier in the cab, but I heard the 7.3 engine in the Ford is better. Since the 2350 is a small coach I was wondering it would work. The cargo carrying capacity seems weird on the Chevy it has a GVWR of 12300, UVW 0f 10130 and a CCC of 4070 in the 2022 brochure.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #2

The numbers in that 2022 (and 2023) Sunseeker brochure are really messed up. Errors seemed to be introduced when FR went from class 4 trucks to class 3 on certain models. I also recall the brochure specs had bad math when Ford raised the ratings a bit on the Transit chassis.

Anyway, at first glance it looks like the brochure is stating the GVWR for the Chevy Express 3500, but using the 4500’s specs for GCWR and for calculating the CCC. Since the 4500’s GVWR is 14200 and the 3500’s is 12300, I think if you subtract 1900 pounds from the brochure’s stated CCC, you probably have the real CCC. In the case of the 2350 model, that would be 2170 pounds. Or, you could say 12300 (GVWR) - 10130 (UVW) and get the same 2170 (CCC).

There is no excuse for FR publishing these bad numbers other than sloppy work (not uncommon in the RV industry).

Back on the decision of Ford vs Chevy, it’s your call. I would accept only the Ford but many people seem happy with the Chevy. Besides liking the Ford better, I’d want it’s higher weight capacity as well (I have about 3000 pounds CCC in my Ford based Sunseeker). Since you’re paying big bucks for a motorhome, get what you really want; don’t compromise.

Here are Chevy Express cutaway specs for reference: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...-eBrochure.pdf
Old 02-09-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I am currently having a 2350 being built and the E-350 chassis are in short supply. There is availability of the Chevy chassis though. The Chevy seems roomier in the cab, but I heard the 7.3 engine in the Ford is better. Since the 2350 is a small coach I was wondering it would work. The cargo carrying capacity seems weird on the Chevy it has a GVWR of 12300, UVW 0f 10130 and a CCC of 4070 in the 2022 brochure.
Not that it should be an issue…….notice I used the word should……I’ll just add that there’s way more customers with their Sunseekers built on the Ford E450 chassis than Chevy. If you have unique situations that become a concern with respect to the interaction of the Chevy and the “Sunseeker house” you’ll have a lesser crowd that can offer factual help.

My vote is for Ford also.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The numbers in that 2022 (and 2023) Sunseeker brochure are really messed up. Errors seemed to be introduced when FR went from class 4 trucks to class 3 on certain models. I also recall the brochure specs had bad math when Ford raised the ratings a bit on the Transit chassis

Anyway, at first glance it looks like the brochure is stating the GVWR for the Chevy Express 3500, but using the 4500’s specs for GCWR and for calculating the CCC. Since the 4500’s GVWR is 14200 and the 3500’s is 12300, I think if you subtract 1900 pounds from the brochure’s stated CCC, you probably have the real CCC. In the case of the 2350 model, that would be 2170 pounds. Or, you could say 12300 (GVWR) - 10130 (UVW) and get the same 2170 (CCC).

There is no excuse for FR publishing these bad numbers other than sloppy work (not uncommon in the RV industry).

Back on the decision of Ford vs Chevy, it’s your call. I would accept only the Ford but many people seem happy with the Chevy. Besides liking the Ford better, I’d want it’s higher weight capacity as well. Since you’re paying big bucks for a motorhome, get what you really want; don’t compromise.

Here are Chevy Express cutaway specs for reference: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...-eBrochure.pdf
I found a 2023 Thor Four Winds on a Chevy chassis and was able to grab the vin and put it into the Autozone decoder. It is the 6.6, "2022 Chevrolet Express 3500 2WD 8 Cylinders 7 6.6L DI OHV 401 CID". I find it hilarious that every dealer with new Chevy RVs are quoting the wrong engine size.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:34 AM   #5

I am very happy with my E450 30’ Jayco with the 7.3 gas.
However, we previously had a Coachman on the Chevy 3500 chassis and were very happy with it also. It was a smaller 24’ unit with the 6.0 gas engine. I think one would be okay with the Chevy on a shorter class c.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Right now, we are all challenged by both Ford and Chevy and getting units to the marketplace. Since Covid both companies have struggled supplying our industry with units to build and this year it isn't getting better. The E350 and Chevy 3500 have very comparable numbers. The chevy does have more leg room for the passenger. I have driven both and they both are very comparable in their handling.

if you find one in stock, like the floor plan and pricing you should take advantage.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:22 PM   #7

karykatz, you might want to send an internal message to an appropriate party at Forest River to have all those weight rating errors corrected in the 2023 Sunseeker brochure.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I will review the spec sheets.

thank you.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
Right now, we are all challenged by both Ford and Chevy and getting units to the marketplace. Since Covid both companies have struggled supplying our industry with units to build and this year it isn't getting better. The E350 and Chevy 3500 have very comparable numbers. The chevy does have more leg room for the passenger. I have driven both and they both are very comparable in their handling.

if you find one in stock, like the floor plan and pricing you should take advantage.
So it does not look like it will get better? I noticed that at the RV shows I am seeing a lot more E series in stock and my local Ford dealer has a number of box trucks out front, and even some F250s in stock which was unheard of.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
So it does not look like it will get better? I noticed that at the RV shows I am seeing a lot more E series in stock and my local Ford dealer has a number of box trucks out front, and even some F250s in stock which was unheard of.
Again, I suggest you buy what YOU want. It is understandable that a Forest River Product Manager is going to recommend you buy whatever is available.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:41 AM   #11

I had a 21' Coachman Leprechaun on a Ford E350 Chassis and now have a 22' Sunseeker on a Chevy 4500 chassis. Both units were used to tow a Jeep Wrangler Sport. I found the performance and handling between the two comparable. If a Ford E450 was an option, I would definitely prefer that over the Chevy 4500.

The Chevy Stabilitrak system had an issue on our first outing but was corrected with a factory recall. On our second trip and had some severe issues with the engine which the dealer could never pinpoint the cause of and concluded that it was some bad gas, easily treated with gas treatment. I was skeptical but we have not had any issues with the performance of our Chevy 4500 since then.

I did find that not all dealerships are able to service even a smaller unit such as ours. Since the Chevy was new and under warranty, we preferred to let the dealership do the oil changes. Our local dealership could not perform even that simple service though. Fortunately, another Chevy dealership nearby has the ability to work on our RV. If you are going to use the dealership to perform warranty service, it is worth asking their service department if they can actually do the work.
Rossnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossnet View Post
I had a 21' Coachman Leprechaun on a Ford E350 Chassis and now have a 22' Sunseeker on a Chevy 4500 chassis. Both units were used to tow a Jeep Wrangler Sport. I found the performance and handling between the two comparable. If a Ford E450 was an option, I would definitely prefer that over the Chevy 4500.

The Chevy Stabilitrak system had an issue on our first outing but was corrected with a factory recall. On our second trip and had some severe issues with the engine which the dealer could never pinpoint the cause of and concluded that it was some bad gas, easily treated with gas treatment. I was skeptical but we have not had any issues with the performance of our Chevy 4500 since then.

I did find that not all dealerships are able to service even a smaller unit such as ours. Since the Chevy was new and under warranty, we preferred to let the dealership do the oil changes. Our local dealership could not perform even that simple service though. Fortunately, another Chevy dealership nearby has the ability to work on our RV. If you are going to use the dealership to perform warranty service, it is worth asking their service department if they can actually do the work.
I suspect your problem of being serviced by your dealer was simply that they don’t have the garage doors big enough, and the lift height for motorhome units.
Doing an oil change is not rocket science, and dealerships usually have unionized employees that suggest even an oil change be done by lifting the vehicle, as opposed to crawling in from underneath.

It will benefit you to locate a reputable place that can service larger vehicles/trucks, then it will be one stop shopping for just about all your needs, including warranty service.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 02-12-2023, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Again, I suggest you buy what YOU want. It is understandable that a Forest River Product Manager is going to recommend you buy whatever is available.
Yeah I get it. Problem is that I have arranged to have 4 months off from work arranged starting in May. The 2350 fit everything I needed with the huge outside storage. The RV that I ordered should have already arrived so I could do some shake down trips. As it looks the thing may not be built at all so I am a bit in panic mode. I guess I can just buy a Coachman 23XG, they seem to be around. Most of the used stuff is from RV rental places and I am not going to go that route.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:55 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Yeah I get it. Problem is that I have arranged to have 4 months off from work arranged starting in May. Most of the used stuff is from RV rental places and I am not going to go that route.
FWIW……
our Sunseeker is a previous rental unit and has never caused us any troubles. We did however, spend in excess of 20 hours going over everything inside and out before driving away, and………they don’t make our model anymore. Ours was the last year they did, and had all the little modifications and improvements over the original year it was introduced.

Ken and Terry
Old 02-12-2023, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
3X Absolutely get what you want even if it requires a wait.. You may have the RV for many years.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:21 PM   #16

You just have to look when out on the road and see how many Fords vs Chev.
For years, going back to the early 90s, Ford has outsold all manufacturers put together.
We’ve had two and would not buy anything else. Mercedes has been in the mix, but way overpriced and not any better quality than the Ford other than diesel option which you can get in the Transit chassis
Celticrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:28 PM   #17
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticrider View Post
You just have to look when out on the road and see how many Fords vs Chev.
For years, going back to the early 90s, Ford has outsold all manufacturers put together.
We’ve had two and would not buy anything else. Mercedes has been in the mix, but way overpriced and not any better quality than the Ford other than diesel option which you can get in the Transit chassis
I don’t believe the Transit offers a diesel option anymore. I think they’re now built on two V6 gas engines now. There may have BEEN a diesel line, but not anymore.

Anyone know for sure?

Ken and Terry
Old 02-16-2023, 07:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I don’t believe the Transit offers a diesel option anymore. I think they’re now built on two V6 gas engines now. There may have BEEN a diesel line, but not anymore.

Anyone know for sure?
Speaking of Forester and Sunseeker (this forum), you are correct the there is currently no Ford Transit diesel offering.

From the brochure: TRANSIT SERIES
The ultra-light Sunseeker (or Forester) TS is engineered for fuel efficiency with eco-friendly building materials
• Engineered for fuel efficiency
• Ford EcoBoost 3.5L V6 EcoBoost gas engine with Ford port fuel/direct injection (PFDI)
• 275 HP with 262 lb.-ft. of torque
• 10 Speed automatic transmission

Expanding out to the Coachmen world, the brochure for Transit based class C says: Ford Transit Chassis
- 3.5L Ecoboost Engine
- 10-Speed Automatic Overdrive
with Select-Shift Transmission
- Available All Wheel Drive

East to West and Dynamax are not building on the Transit.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:57 PM   #19

Chevy chassis

I test drove a Chevy under a Chateau motorhome this past Saturday. While the power seemed adequate for an empty rig it had some shortcomings. It didn't feel like there was enough room for my feet for a long trip. Inside the cab the controls seemed old and needed updating. The Chevy doesn't have auto up/down power windows, No USB's one 12v outlet. I really felt like I was in a 1979 Chevy Van. I passed.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, sunseeker