Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #1

sunseeker 2860ds a/c heat pump

We have a 2017 sunseeker 2860ds on a chevy chassis with a dometic brisk 2 15,000 btu a/c heat pump with a dometic single zone thermostat. in the next few weeks i will be replacing the unit with the same . Question is i have read that some peoples will change from heat pump to furnace automatically when tempatures drop and heat pump wont keep up, mine does not do this, i have to manually select heat pump or furnace and then change it later if it starts to get cold in camper. is there a way i can make mine switch over automatically? thanks in advance
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

The cold temp switch over is a function of the thermostat in conjunction with the sensor(s) in the rooftop unit. Dometic should be able to tell you which one you need and is compatible with your briskair II
Old 10-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgastwo View Post
We have a 2017 sunseeker 2860ds on a chevy chassis with a dometic brisk 2 15,000 btu a/c heat pump with a dometic single zone thermostat. in the next few weeks i will be replacing the unit with the same . Question is i have read that some peoples will change from heat pump to furnace automatically when tempatures drop and heat pump wont keep up, mine does not do this, i have to manually select heat pump or furnace and then change it later if it starts to get cold in camper. is there a way i can make mine switch over automatically? thanks in advance
I have a 2016 with the same AC unit. I have also read about a supposed "auto-switchover" function but if there is it is not working on mine. The best that I can tell is that when it gets too cold the heat pump starts operating funny and sorta shuts off but the furnace never comes on. I wonder if there is a good way to test this functionality without inadvertently damaging the heat pump. ???

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Electronikers

I wish I could help you with that. All I know is that when the sensor (thermocouple) senses temps at or below the set low temp (about 45*) it sends a voltage that is read by the thermostat which is supposed to disable the heat pump and switch to furnace operation. It is fairly simple in principal but complicated in functionality.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #5

So soon...

Cant address the therm question, but sorry to hear the need to change out a young AC. We had AC temp issues and Dometic would not address them. We switched to Coleman and are very happy....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #6

ac was never very good even from new, should have taken it back then but didnt want to deal with dealer. it worked just never very well, now it has gotten almost useless, and is constantly cycling on and off, suspect low on freon. so have decided to just change it out as love my camper. with no plans to change so investment is worth it to me
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #7

Right after we purchased our 2017 Forester we discovered the auto switch over. While camping in Tampa the nighttime temperature dropped to 40°F. It was a pleasant surprise.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
Right after we purchased our 2017 Forester we discovered the auto switch over. While camping in Tampa the nighttime temperature dropped to 40°F. It was a pleasant surprise.
Kirk, nice to hear that it worked for you. BTW, was the fan set to auto or a fixed speed when the switchover occurred? I wonder if the fan needs to be set to auto for this to work correctly? We generally leave the fan set to low which helps drown out some of the campground noise.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #9

This is for a programmable TS:

Auxiliary Heat (Heat Pump Models Only)
Auxiliary heat operation will be activated when the measured temperature of the
outdoor temperature sensor is less than 30 °F (-1 °C). If the system is equipped with
a furnace, the control will select FURN heating mode for the auxiliary heat source.
Auxiliary heat operation, once initiated, will have priority over a heat pump defrost
cycle. Auxiliary heat operation will be de-activated and the heat pump operation will
resume when the temperature of the outdoor temperature sensor is higher than
35 °F (2 °C)

This is for a single zone capacitive touch TS:

E. Low Ambient Heat Pump Lock Out
All heat pumps are constrained to operation at a temperature range determined by outside conditions. Since all heat pumps lose efficiency at low outside ambient temperatures, the heat pump
has a lock out feature that prevents heat pump mode of operation when temperatures fall below
30ºF. If system is set in Auto Mode fan will be turned OFF. Fan will remain ON if fan setting is set
to Low or High, however compressor will not run and there will be no heat function below 30ºF.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, sunseeker