Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #1

Sunseeker 3050 questions.........

We are considering a Sunseeker 3050 and have a few questions.

ACs. We live in TN and will travel to FL as well as out west, SD, CO, NM etc.....will the single 15k unit be sufficient or would the 2 11k units with power shedding be a better choice?

Driver/Pass Seats. We looked at a unit today that has the swivel front seats. Drivers side swiveled around but the passenger side seemed to be obstructed by the couch. I didn't try and force it. Does it swivel? It really didn't appear like it would be very functional even if it does on this particular floor plan.

Solar package. This unit had 1 panel on the roof. What is the max number of panels that will work without changing the controller out. Plug and play. I like the idea of free battery charging but extended boon docking is not our thing.

QC. How is First River in this area in general? Our current RV is a Thor product. Let's just say I am less than impressed with their QC or fit and finish.

We like this floor plan (3050) because of the regular size queen bed (I do not like my feet hanging off the end) and the opposed seating. It gives us plenty of useful counter space.

Any info or things to look out for would be appreciated.
MarshallGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #2

I own a Sunseeker but cannot offer advice on the ACs or solar panels.

Some Sunseeker floor plans have a dinette or sofa immediately behind the cab passenger seat. This limits the amount of cab leg room for the passenger because the seat can't be moved rearward. As for swiveling, you may need to tilt the seat back forward and make a adjustments to the seat as you rotate, like it has the go through contortions to fit in the rotation space. With floor plans that have the entry door behind the passenger seat, the swivel seat has more room to rotate.

The term QC and RV (of any brand) don't really go together in the same conversation. Also, even on one particular model, build quality will vary from one unit to the next. I have seen bad Sunseekers on dealer lots and RV shows. I have seen a couple sloppy Tiffins and Winnebagos. I have seen horrible Thor products. So in a contest to decide the lesser of two evils, I rate Forest River above Thor for quality. I saw a new Thor Class C product on a dealer lot that was so bad it made me decide to never, never purchase a Thor RV. But maybe that's just me.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I own a Sunseeker but cannot offer advice on the ACs or solar panels.

Some Sunseeker floor plans have a dinetter or sofa immediately behindvthe cab passenger seat. This limits the amount of cab leg room for the passenger because the seat can't be moved rearward. As for swiveling, you may need to tilt the seat back forward and make a adjustments to the seat as you rotate, like it has the go through contortions to fit in the rotation space. With floor plans that have the entry door behind the passenger seat, the swivel seat has more room.

The term QC and RVs (of any brand) don't really go together in the same conversation. Also, even on one particular model, build quality will vary from one unit to the next. I have seen bad Sunseekers on dealer lots and RV shows. I have seen bad Tiffins and Winnebagos. I have seen horrible Thor products. So in a contest to decide the lesser of two evils, I rate Forest River above Thor for quality.
Agree with you on the QC in the RV industry in general. My experience with Thor soured me pretty good but on the upside, I am a pretty good RV tech now. I have also seen a Tiffin Alegro Bus, at a show non the less, that was very lacking in QC. So much so that as soon as I entered I turned around and walked out.

I do expect any new RV to have some issues that need corrected. Just hoping it's not on the level we experienced in our Thor

We are also looking for used units. If they have been used by their previous owners at all I would expect most issues to have been resolved. Not all, but most.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #4

I can't comment on other brands. I had a 1985 Gulfstream Sunstream class A 20 years ago. My current Sunseeker I rate at about 7 / 10. I have not had any major problems. Support from Forest River I would rate 8 / 10. Both of my seats will swivel with some effort. We rarely do though.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGibson View Post

ACs. We live in TN and will travel to FL as well as out west, SD, CO, NM etc.....will the single 15k unit be sufficient or would the 2 11k units with power shedding be a better choice?

Driver/Pass Seats. We looked at a unit today that has the swivel front seats. Drivers side swiveled around but the passenger side seemed to be obstructed by the couch. I didn't try and force it. Does it swivel? It really didn't appear like it would be very functional even if it does on this particular floor plan.

Solar package. This unit had 1 panel on the roof. What is the max number of panels that will work without changing the controller out. Plug and play. I like the idea of free battery charging but extended boon docking is not our thing.

QC. How is First River in this area in general? Our current RV is a Thor product. Let's just say I am less than impressed with their QC or fit and finish.

We like this floor plan (3050) because of the regular size queen bed (I do not like my feet hanging off the end) and the opposed seating. It gives us plenty of useful counter space.

We have a Forester 2861 with the dual AC units , solar and drivers side swivel. The dual AC is nice and cools quickly, I would suggest it.

The swivel seat is cool but we haven’t used it much so far.

I believe the solar controller can handle one more panel. It works well with the one keeping the batteries topped off.

Quality is pretty good, I would say an 8 out of 10. Mostly little issues, nothing major. Unit drives well, especially with the suspension upgrades and new V8.
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #6

If you are looking at buying a new unit, the solar package becomes more important than just topping off the batteries. Most 2020s and all 2021 Sunseeker Classics are equipped with a 12 volt powered refrigerator that increases the demand on the RV’s 12 volt system.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengers View Post
We have a Forester 2861 with the dual AC units , solar and drivers side swivel. The dual AC is nice and cools quickly, I would suggest it.

The swivel seat is cool but we haven’t used it much so far.

I believe the solar controller can handle one more panel. It works well with the one keeping the batteries topped off.

Quality is pretty good, I would say an 8 out of 10. Mostly little issues, nothing major. Unit drives well, especially with the suspension upgrades and new V8.
Good info. Thanks.

I swiveled the drivers chair and while you can physically sit in it, it doesn't give me (6'2") anywhere to put my legs if someone is sitting on the couch. This being the 3050 floor plan. Seems to me the passenger side wouldn't be worth the cost if you can get only the driver side. Might be nice for the occasional use.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
If you are looking at buying a new unit, the solar package becomes more important than just topping off the batteries. Most 2020s and all 2021 Sunseeker Classics are equipped with a 12 volt powered refrigerator that increases the demand on the RV’s 12 volt system.
Yep, dual power fridge 12v/propane.

Leaning heavily towards adding what ever the max capacity for solar is from the factory if we order a new unit. As for used, well, then I guess you get what you get
Old 01-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

There is a booster cushion that raises you up. Lol
Old 01-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
There is a booster cushion that raises you up. Lol

Is that what that thing is for I was wondering
Old 01-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Yep, dual power fridge 12v/propane.

Leaning heavily towards adding what ever the max capacity for solar is from the factory if we order a new unit. As for used, well, then I guess you get what you get
I don’t know of any dual power 12v/propane refrigerator in a recent Sunseeker Classic.

2019 and prior model years of Sunseeker Classic featured a 2-way absorption refrigerator that used either 120 volt AC or propane for the heat source. The 2020 and 2021 model Sunseeker Classics instead come equipped with a 12 volt compressor driven refrigerator. The 12 volt refrigerator cannot run on propane.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
I don’t know of any dual power 12v/propane refrigerator in a Sunseeker.

2019 and prior model years of Sunseeker Classic featured a 2-way absorption refrigerator that used either 120 volt AC or propane for the heat source. The 2020 and 2021 model Sunseeker Classics instead come equipped with 12 volt compressor driven refrigerator. The 12 volt refrigerator cannot run on propane.

Good to know. I was misinformed.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Good info. Thanks.

I swiveled the drivers chair and while you can physically sit in it, it doesn't give me (6'2") anywhere to put my legs if someone is sitting on the couch. This being the 3050 floor plan. Seems to me the passenger side wouldn't be worth the cost if you can get only the driver side. Might be nice for the occasional use.
If the swivel cab seat option is ordered, a matching booster cushion is also included. The booster fits nicely on the cab seat and comfortably aligns your feet with the house floor level. That being said, I prefer to use the swivel seat without the cushion, but it is there if you want it.

Our 2440DS floor plan has ample space behind the passenger seat, so we ordered ours with swivel passenger seat, but fixed driver seat. You’re right, the floor plan will determine which, if any, swivel seats will work. We didn’t want a sofa this time because in our previous RV, we used the dinette far more than it’s sofa. Since the 3050 comes with a sofa, that may determine how much use you’d get from the swivel cab seat(s).
Old 01-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
If the swivel cab seat option is ordered, a matching booster cushion is also included. The booster fits nicely on the cab seat and comfortably aligns your feet with the house floor level. That being said, I prefer to use the swivel seat without the cushion, but it is there if you want it.
I saw the cushions but had no idea what they were for. Thanks
Old 01-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
The earlier models had the dual mode (110 vac or propane) refrigerators that were insignificant users of dc...well under one amp for the control board and the light. The new 12 volt only models can kill a battery in short order. Talked to a guy at a CG a few weeks back who said his refrigerator wouldn’t last a full day because the solar was grossly inadequate where we were camped. The CG had heavy tree cover and most sites were heavily shaded.

Deal breaker for me.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The earlier models had the dual mode (110 vac or propane) refrigerators that were insignificant users of dc...well under one amp for the control board and the light. The new 12 volt only models can kill a battery in short order. Talked to a guy at a CG a few weeks back who said his refrigerator wouldn’t last a full day because the solar was grossly inadequate where we were camped. The CG had heavy tree cover and most sites were heavily shaded.

Deal breaker for me.

We have used the batteries twice now and had no issues with significant drain after 2 days of use. We make sure the frig is up to operating temp before heading out. Not sure if that makes a difference. Honestly the fig is much larger, cools and recovers quicker than the absorption frig. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
We have used the batteries twice now and had no issues with significant drain after 2 days of use. We make sure the frig is up to operating temp before heading out. Not sure if that makes a difference. Honestly the fig is much larger, cools and recovers quicker than the absorption frig. Just my 2 cents
While the truck engine is running, it’s alternator will supply 12 volts to the house through the BIM, reducing/eliminating battery drain caused by the 12 volt refrigerator. If you are at camp with no hookup and no sunshine, that’s when you’ll need to depend entirely on the batteries. After 2 days continuous refrigerator use, and assuming no driving, what would the remaining battery charge level be?
Old 01-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
While the truck engine is running, it’s alternator will supply 12 volts to the house through the BIM, reducing/eliminating battery drain caused by the 12 volt refrigerator. If you are at camp with no hookup and no sunshine, that’s when you’ll need to depend entirely on the batteries. After 2 days continuous refrigerator use, and assuming no driving, what would the remaining battery charge level be?

I have done this twice so far. Dry camped over the weekend. 2 days, nice days so we had sun. We ran the heater at night at 60 degrees, LED TV for a movie, lights and I have a cpap hooked up to an inverter.

We did use the generator for about an hour on each trip for dinner, used the convection oven and induction top, so that charged the batteries. The lowest reading was the last day before leaving, the batteries showed 12.2 volts.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:30 AM   #19

Quote:

Maybe a little late with the info, but thought I would add in. I owned a 2290 Sunseeker prior to my current unit so I cruise the Sunseeker forums too.

ACs, I have a single AC unit in my 32 foot Coachmen Concord and it works hard and all day to cool the RV just down to 75 when its in the 90's. Many have said 30 foot is where you want to look at two AC units if regularly in hot weather. 2 units usually bumps up to 50 amp plug in. In AK I very rarely used the AC of my 24ft Sunseeker.

Swivel Seats, didn't have them in Sunseeker. In Concord both swivel, but I have room to sit in both and have a table between them. Very little floor drop to cockpit in mine so no need for booster seats. We like them to sit in or stack stuff on. If the access is blocked probably not a great sitting benefit, but stacking items in them when camping is easy to get to when turned.

Solar
, I do not have solar, but will get it eventually. I'm "solar ready" in the RV, but that is only minimal wiring for most RVs. Usually reported that you need a minimum of 100 watts per battery to get any benefit. I will eventually get 200 watts or more on roof. Running out of room to store suitcase units.

QC, I have seen every middle of the line brand has its strengths and shortcomings. From what I've seen and know of friends and RV rental companies Thor is one of the lowest rated for reliability. They have got nice floorplans and creature features but build quality and reliability is low. I have had rental companies tell me that Forest / Sunseeker QC is higher and on par with Winnebago. My experience was good other than a few hinges pulled out of pressboard cabinet doors. It was one of the few shorter models that could be bought on a E450 chassis vs an E350. I would buy a RF / Sunseeker model again, but not a Thor.

Bed, I agree with get a 80" bed if you can. My Sunseeker had 80." At 71" tall it was nice. My current has 74" and minor annoyance.

Other, Looking at your floorplan I would be leery of a full wall slide and leery of appliances in your slide. I know its the current trend, but moving appliances in slides are heavy and more prone to breaks and leaks. I think the higher end MHs like Newmar do it better on their builds, but leery on the middle line brands appliance laden slides. I do think that FR / Sunseeker may have a fiberglass roof, my last one did. I currently have TPO and had it fail with a tear and not impressed. Firestone Ride-Rite Air Suspension Air bags Sunseeker offers is nice to have. Aluminum rims if available saves dealing with pop on /off hubcaps. I personally still like the manual rocker switches vs the lighted control panels that will be problematic to repair in the future.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddor View Post
Maybe a little late with the info, but thought I would add in. I owned a 2290 Sunseeker prior to my current unit so I cruise the Sunseeker forums too.

ACs, I have a single AC unit in my 32 foot Coachmen Concord and it works hard and all day to cool the RV just down to 75 when its in the 90's. Many have said 30 foot is where you want to look at two AC units if regularly in hot weather. 2 units usually bumps up to 50 amp plug in. In AK I very rarely used the AC of my 24ft Sunseeker.

Swivel Seats, didn't have them in Sunseeker. In Concord both swivel, but I have room to sit in both and have a table between them. Very little floor drop to cockpit in mine so no need for booster seats. We like them to sit in or stack stuff on. If the access is blocked probably not a great sitting benefit, but stacking items in them when camping is easy to get to when turned.

Solar
, I do not have solar, but will get it eventually. I'm "solar ready" in the RV, but that is only minimal wiring for most RVs. Usually reported that you need a minimum of 100 watts per battery to get any benefit. I will eventually get 200 watts or more on roof. Running out of room to store suitcase units.

QC, I have seen every middle of the line brand has its strengths and shortcomings. From what I've seen and know of friends and RV rental companies Thor is one of the lowest rated for reliability. They have got nice floorplans and creature features but build quality and reliability is low. I have had rental companies tell me that Forest / Sunseeker QC is higher and on par with Winnebago. My experience was good other than a few hinges pulled out of pressboard cabinet doors. It was one of the few shorter models that could be bought on a E450 chassis vs an E350. I would buy a RF / Sunseeker model again, but not a Thor.

Bed, I agree with get a 80" bed if you can. My Sunseeker had 80." At 71" tall it was nice. My current has 74" and minor annoyance.

Other, Looking at your floorplan I would be leery of a full wall slide and leery of appliances in your slide. I know its the current trend, but moving appliances in slides are heavy and more prone to breaks and leaks. I think the higher end MHs like Newmar do it better on their builds, but leery on the middle line brands appliance laden slides. I do think that FR / Sunseeker may have a fiberglass roof, my last one did. I currently have TPO and had it fail with a tear and not impressed. Firestone Ride-Rite Air Suspension Air bags Sunseeker offers is nice to have. Aluminum rims if available saves dealing with pop on /off hubcaps. I personally still like the manual rocker switches vs the lighted control panels that will be problematic to repair in the future.

Hope this helps.
Good idea about using swivel seats for storage. I think the floor drop in the 3050/51 series definitely requires a big booster cushion. I usually throw hats, sweaters or other stuff in the chairs but they can be a little hard to retrieve.

As far as the full wall slide stuff goes I don’t see weight as a factor. Heavy stuff in the 3050/51 is on the opposite side. With airbags at 60 psi the left side only moves less than ⅛ inch. I calibrated the auto levelers with the slide out to compensate for that.

Tags
305, questions, sunseeker