Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #1

Sunseeker Brakes - When did u replace them?

What is the average life of our Sunseeker brakes? I have a 3170DS with 15,000 miles on it and I am considering replacing the brakes before our next big trip out west because it will be 8000 miles round-trip. I also tow a vehicle which is why I am considering a full brake replacement all around before the trip.

I realize the brake life depends on the type of driving, towing, climbing/descending, etc.. but I'm interested in a general poll: How many miles have you gotten on a set of Brakes?

Thanks for the reply's
Old 02-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #2

I have 30,000 on mine and they still have plenty of life left. If i were you I would take it to a mechanic you trust and have them inspected before your trip.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #3

I don't yet have experience with a Sunseeker (coming in April!) but on other 30 foot class Cs on the E-450 chassis, I would typically get many, many miles on the brake pads.

I suspect that you likely have a lot of pad left, unless there is a problem with one of them dragging or you like to ride the brakes down mountains

But, the only way to know for sure is to pull the wheels and take a look.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

I haven't owned an RV past 30,000 miles yet (usually trade in around then) and I have never replaced brakes. Haven't replaced tires either except for the recent recall on my current RV.

Just keep up the maintenance on schedule. On cars, I have replaced brakes at like..... 80,000 miles.....

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

Unless you have been traveling through the Rockys all the time, your brakes should last at least 30K miles and 50K is certainly achievable. Personal driving style plays a major role so if you often have to replace your cars brakes say every 20K miles then you may not get much more out of the RV.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

Not sure on a motor home but as most have said 30000 is the usual number for brakes. They should tell you if they are ok at your state safety inspection if the brakes need replacing. Doesn't hurt to ask if they don't tell you.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

I see that a couple weeks have passed since this post started... In the interest to help others that might be looking later. My 2011 3170DS has 26k+ miles. I peeked at the pads when the tire shop was replacing my Michelin's... All 4 corners had plenty of pad left... I seem to recall that there looked to of been somewhere around an inch still left of pad after 26,000 miles! I'm sure my memory is a little stretched here like the fish I catch... but the point is there didn't seem to be much wear at all.

There was so much pad left I don't plan on checking again for another 25,000 miles.... Just saying.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #8

Speaking of brakes.This is our first RV and we got the Chevy 4500 2860. It seems the brake pedal goes down further than I am used to on non-RV's. I suspect it is due to the weight of the RV...any comments.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkats66 View Post
Speaking of brakes.This is our first RV and we got the Chevy 4500 2860. It seems the brake pedal goes down further than I am used to on non-RV's. I suspect it is due to the weight of the RV...any comments.

Don't know about Chevys but my Ford E450 brakes have good pedal feel just like a car.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #10

My 2012 2300 on Chevy chassis feels a little different than my 2007 Chevy Avalanche, but I would not describe it as the pedal traveling farther down. The MH actually feels like it has more stopping power. Don't forget that brakes, like other parts of a new vehicle, need a little break in time. There may be rust or road grime on the brake discs that will need to wear off on the first few stops. Check brake fluid and see if it is at proper level. As long as brakes don't feel mushy or ineffective, or fade when stopping, it is probably just something to get used to.

Tags
brakes, sunseeker