Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

Sunseeker experience in freezing temps?

2014 Sunseeker 2500TS. The water routing seems mostly inside. I can feel heat applied to the water filter area when propane is heating. Anyone have any experience camping in this rig, or similar, in sub-freezing temps? If so, how cold and what were your precautions? It's COLD down in the Great Basin where we want to go in March. Thanks!
Standup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

I have been out while in the low 20's at night with it getting into the 40's during the day. We stayed warm but it does chew up some propane. You could run through a tank of propane in a weekend.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Average Joe

The coldest we camped was 15F with high winds.. Had bottled water and empty water system. The coldest camping with the systems wet was like Osgood said, 20's at night and above freezing during the day. We used a small electric heater to help the furnace. We used about a half tank of propane for that weekend.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #4

I have dry camped before like MrJoe said. We put a few gallons of water in the shower and a gallon of anitfreeze. We add a little antifreeze with every flush.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #5

We've been in 19 F with a 20 mph wind and had no problems. Kept the coach about 65 F with propane. The water pump/filter compartment and the holding tank drain compartment were both about 55 F.

If you use an electric heater in the coach to reduce propane usage, be sure the propane furnace runs some to keep heat going to the compartments.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I'll set a low limit at maybe 22F for now. See how it goes, and see what the propane duration is with cooking, etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

Cooking, hot water, and refrigerator use little propane. The furnace is the big user.

I have an Extend - a- Stay kit and use a grill gas tank to supplement the coach tank. It's easier to get it refilled or swapped than to pack up the coach and drive to a refill station.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #8

Yeah, considering an extra fuel source. Wondering where/how to haul an extra 5-gal.
Propane bottle.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #9

I put the grill gas tank in the front of the rear compartment. I have a cardboard box that just fits in the step down well. The box is just right for the tank and a small charcoal grill, so the tank can't move around.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

Sunseeker experience in freezing temps?

I checked a few weeks ago when it was 10 degrees. The antifreeze in the toilet was actually a little slushy. Not frozen solid or anything. I was surprised as I thought that stuff was good to below zero.

Sunseeker 2014 3050S
Attached Images

johnlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #11

We have had our Forester out when was 8F last November. Like Mr. Joe our water systems were winterized and used the bathroom with several tubs of water carried along with the black tank pretty heavily dosed with antifreeze. Used 1500W electric heater to supplement the furnace. Had some condensation in the morning but we were fairly comfortable.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Graduate Member

Been down to zero. Used a heated hose, had trouble maintaining good warmth, but slept in it for 3 nights. Good enough.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #13

Cold weather is not a problem

Here in Colorado we have used our 3050 throughout the winter. I got the extend a stay kit an duse that to heat the camper during the week while it is in our barn. On camping weekends we headout and run the heater off of the main tank while on the road and then hook up a 40lb external when we are at the camp.

The only real "problem" is that I don't want to use the city water connection. So I fill up the fresh water tank and just watch the tank level. whn the black/grey tanks are full and the fresh is empty then I dump the tanks and flush the black tank until it is clear. Fill up the fresh water tank an dthen I make sure that I drain out my water hose.

I have had nights way below zero and about the only problem was once the gate valve was frozen on the black water tank. That only took anout 20 minutes to thaw with a electric heater in the compartment. I would like to point out that was my fault, as we had a small leletric heater running in the coach to save propane. This caused the coach propane heater not to run as much, which resulted in the valve freezing a bit. Live and learn.

Now we set the coach to a comfrotable temp and just use the onboard heater. No problems at all. If you don't mind spending the money just hook up a extend a stay kit and keep the thing heated all winter long...that's what we do. But I built a barn knowing that a RV was going to be stored in it. Now camping is a matter of grabbing some clothes and making a run to our favorite park. It's like we own the place, everyone ealse is waiting on warmer weather before they come out.
murf259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #14
Commercial Member

That is a great real world example. I agree, why let the cold weather stop you.

Just a disclaimer....don't try this with the other guys that have "heated tanks". They only heat the black and gray bottoms...not the valves or fresh water.

The "camping cozy" package you see will get you cozy all right...at the dealership repairing busted lines.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #15

BC,

We almost got snoockerd buy one of the "other guys" with their 3 Season campers. I kept asking if the whole underbelly (the water works if you will) was forced air heated. I kept hearing " You should have no problem in cold weather". I quickly ran from claims like that. Show me forced air heating and insulation, back that up with "You WILL have no problem". Forest River builds a great rig that we can use all year long in a Colorado Mountain range.
murf259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Thank you for those kind words. Next time I take a unit out skiing, I'll be sure to get video.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #17

Is the arctic package with the tank heaters needed on the Sunseeker or is running the furnace good enough?
Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
Average Joe

Running the furnace keeps them warm enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 04-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Cooking, hot water, and refrigerator use little propane. The furnace is the big user.

I have an Extend - a- Stay kit and use a grill gas tank to supplement the coach tank. It's easier to get it refilled or swapped than to pack up the coach and drive to a refill station.
What is Extend-a-Stay kit?
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #20
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
What is Extend-a-Stay kit?
It's a kit of fittings and hose that allows connection of an external propane tank.

Tags
sunseeker