Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #1

Sunseeker Onan QG4000

When we purchased our Sunseeker, new, 5 years ago, the Onan gen had 2.7 hours on it. The gen now has 102 hours on it. I did change the oil at 30 hrs and 70 hrs. But last year while we had it out, I could not get it to start. I ended up using my back up EU2000 until we got home. Once home I changed the air filter and spark plug, the plug was black and fouled. I wasn't sure why it fouled, I keep the altitude setting on the carb properly set. So I ended up installing a one step hotter NGK plug to see if this helps, and keep a back up plug on board. It since has been fine, but when we came back this week from our trip and the Onan had 103 hrs on it, I thought I would change the oil (33 hrs since last change) But when I pulled the dipstick out the reading was on the last 1/4 of the hashmark. I know I had filled it to the top of the hashmark on the last oil change. So it seems like it is burning oil and explains the fouled plug. I'm just putting this out there FYI and comment. I'm just going to monitor the oil more often and keep a backup spark plug and generator. We only use the Onan on the road, the EU2000 is used at the camp site.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Search Works

Been there, done that.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2691550

Tags
onan, sunseeker