Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Sunseeker Rear Bumper & Hitch Height

We have a Sunseeker 3010DS on order due to be delivered in the next week, and would like to know what the measurement from the center of the hitch to the ground is and also the measurement from the bottom of the rear bumper to the ground. We are replacing a Coachmen Freelander 3150SS with the new unit. We are towing a Honda CRV and also plan to install a new rock guard of some type on our new unit.

I realize that the measurements could vary an inch or so, depending upon the air pressure in the air bags.

Thanks in advance for any input.
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood90 View Post
We have a Sunseeker 3010DS on order due to be delivered in the next week, and would like to know what the measurement from the center of the hitch to the ground is and also the measurement from the bottom of the rear bumper to the ground. We are replacing a Coachmen Freelander 3150SS with the new unit. We are towing a Honda CRV and also plan to install a new rock guard of some type on our new unit.

I realize that the measurements could vary an inch or so, depending upon the air pressure in the air bags.

Sorry for the delay in posting. My hitch is 16" and the bottom of the bumper is 20"

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
GJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Smile Thanks GJones!

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to purchase a couple of things for the MH before it arrives and didn't want to purchase wrong. We are taking it south for the winter soon after it arrives and have a small window of time to get everything changed over and leave.

After taking the old one to Alaska this past spring/summer I wanted to be certain I had a new rock guard installed before leaving. I also needed to know if I will have to alter my hitch/towbar setup.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

I love my 3010. Leaving in it again Sunday. I hope you enjoy it.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

what do you use for a rock guard?
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

I use a Blue Ox KarGuard II. Hooks right on tow bar and rolls up when not in use.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

I have been using the Demco solid deflector that mounts on the tow bar and also had the IBC splash stop guard on the trip to Alaska. The IBC unit was too low and I think it was to blame for the CRV becoming so filthy in spite of washing it every chance I had during the trip.

Since this is a new MH, I am probably going to order the smart solutions rock solid unit at http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Solution...=rv+rock+guard although I have heard a lot of good things about the Blue Ox unit that GJones is using. If I knew that I could adapt the Blue Ox unit to my Demco tow bar, I might try installing it on mine.

I camped next to a Class A in Valdez that was towing a CRV and the front end was being held together with duct tape. The windsheld was cracked in several places, all headlights and fog lights were damaged, and the rest of the car was going to have to be refinished. All due to the solid rock guard being mounted too close to the ground and kicking up gravel and stones, so I am just a little leery of them. The owner said that once someone pointed out the problem, he suffered no more damage after raising the guard to the recommended 4" height above the ground. Of course, by then it was probably too late to see any new damage.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
Navy Junior

New Tow'd

I'm going to pull a new Jeep Compass (4 down) using a road master Falcon 2 and wonder if I would benefit from the solid rock deflector under my Sunseeker 3050 and something mounted to the jeep as well? I have the standard mud flaps behind the dualies, but I suspect they are just not enough. Any thoughts?
SunSeeker 3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

My car gets filthy when being towed by my 3050 with stock mud flaps. This problem never existed on my pushers with full flap all the way across the back maybe 2-3" off the ground. Did buy a bra one time to put on accru mdx but it wasn't needed. Vehicles all stayed clean.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #10

That 4" may be correct also I didn't install come from factory with them already mounted.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #11

Have a sweep type guard on or 3010DSF and pull a ford Focus, Has never been dirty and no stone chips and of yet, 11,00 miles so far.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
Navy Junior

Kevin & Judy did you add anything else in addition to th sweep?
SunSeeker 3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #13

We did add a Bra to the car. But up to that point we had no problems.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Have a sweep type guard on or 3010DSF and pull a ford Focus, Has never been dirty and no stone chips and of yet, 11,00 miles so far.
Just curious. Where did you get your sweep and what brand is it?
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #15

ordered it from PPl
Here are links to them, The length is determined by measuring from the bottom of your rear bumber to the ground,

this is for the 16 inch long. Splash Guard Skirt - 96 X 16in - Protect Your Towed Vehicle-pplmotorhomes.com

his is for the 22 inch long. Splash Guard Skirt - 96 X 22in - Protect Your Towed Vehicle-pplmotorhomes.com
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #16

Thanks for the info. If the sweep type does the job, I think that is what I'll order. It's a little cheaper than the solid rubber
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood90 View Post

We have a new Forester 3011DS which is pretty much the same as your 3010 and I just did some quick measurements on the hitch yesterday. While I was expecting to possibly have to drop the hitch a bit to keep it parallel with my tow bar connecting to my 2011 Subaru Impreza I was completely surprised by my findings. My quick measurements where that the bottom of the hitch receiver was only 10" off the ground and the middle of the hitch was 11.5". This seems very low although this is my first RV so I don't have a lot of reference points to compare this too. On top of that, the center of the pin height for my blue ox base plate is 14.5 " so as of now it would seem that I have to actually raise my receiver height to get it within Blue OX specs for towing. Who would have thought? However, the asphalt where the truck is parked may not be a perfectly flat so I probably need to do another measurement after pulling it out, but we shall see.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #18

So I moved the RV from our parking spot to what looked like a fairly level section of asphalt and depending on where I had the wheels, the distance between the ground and middle of the receiver was 16-18" which is better. However, this is without any water in the tank, air bags at 65 PSI and rear tires at 80 PSI. I think the only way to tell what this is actually going to look like is to set it up like we were going on a trip and then measuring the angle of the tow bar when hooked to the car to see if we need a drop hitch or not. As of now, I don't have the base plate installed on the toad which could change the angle even more since at 40 lbs that could lower the front end of the car a bit.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, sunseeker