Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Sunseeker Slideout Question

we just put a down payment on a 2017 Sunseeker GTS 2430S. It has a full-side slide. we are curious if we need to purchase and support jacks when extended do to its size and weight?
fritzg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Congratulations on your GTS. Before we bought our "big" GTS we had a "W" floor plan, the same as yours, on a MBS. We did not use, or need, any supports with the slide out. They can do more harm than good in some cases.

Does you GTS have self leveling? If not to keep things level, after the slide was extended, I found that raising the drivers side about an inch or so high when parking kept the coach more close to level after extending the slide.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #3

You don't ever want to use any type of "support jack" under an extended/out slide out.
Reason...if, for any reason, your rig "settles" due to a flat tire or loss of air in a tire/tires on the slide out side, the rig will "go down" but your slide out won't, causing mucho, mucho damage.
No one that I've seen post on here or other web sites uses them or recomends them.
Big NO NO!!!
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
You don't ever want to use any type of "support jack" under an extended/out slide out.

Reason...if, for any reason, your rig "settles" due to a flat tire or loss of air in a tire/tires on the slide out side, the rig will "go down" but your slide out won't, causing mucho, mucho damage.

No one that I've seen post on here or other web sites uses them or recomends them.

Big NO NO!!!

Grumpy

Correct. The slides are designed to extend and support the cantilevered weight. I would never use slide supports for the reasons mentioned.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Using slideout supports on a newer slideout, will void the warranty if you end up having slideout problems.

As others said, modern slideouts don't need such supports.
Those are old school items from the early days of slideouts, when the technology was new.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #6

We will be picking up this same unit in a few weeks, and have discovered the slide system is a fairly new product, Lippert Power Gear Slim Rack, and there just isn't much available as far as actual user experience. I've downloaded all the manuals for it, so I do have some information, but would like to know more.
RDJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #7

Read your material, list your questions and give the folks at Lippert a call. I have found friendly and helpful.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #8

sunseeker 2430 gts slide

I purchased a new 2017 Sunseeker 2430 GTS about 3 weeks ago. The slide does not appear to retract flush to the body. It is about 1/2" out at the top and almost 1 1/2" out at the bottom. In fact you can see daylight if you look along the floor when it is retracted. Is this normal? I would hope not. I am a newbie on motorhomes and bought this because I like the looks and floor plan.
I called Forest River and they seemed to think that this was normal????
Anybody experience this?
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #9

Slideout Issue

We bought same Sunseeker 2430 GTS the first of April. Saw same issue and mentioned to dealer. They seem to think was also normal..I do not. In fact, we are registered to attend the FR Rally in Goshen,IN this coming August and we put this issue on our Service Request Form along with air not coming out of some of our A/C ceiling vents.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #10

slide out issue

Thanks for your post. Glad to hear that I am not the only one.
My dealer says that there is no adjustment that can be done.
I can't believe that this would be "normal"
Old 04-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #11

Slide-out Issue

Mee too but will see come August at the Rally if they address it to us.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzg2 View Post
...we put this issue on our Service Request Form along with air not coming out of some of our A/C ceiling vents.
If you don't want to wait on your A/C vents not working just pop out the vent. We had some paper, and styrofoam pieces , in the ducts leading to the vent in a couple of ours. It was a quick and easy fix on that one...cleaning up the "stuff" that blew out took longer than the fix....
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #13

Slideout Issue

Actually had the dealer look at this issue too and they said is what is due to fact that FR put too many vents in the MH. Not sure I buy into that but what do I know..Thanks for the input will see
Old 04-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #14
Site Team

Now that is an interesting answer... So if you move around blocking off individual vents do all of them work when air is forced to them?

At night I close the vents in the front of our GTS to push more air to the bedroom. During the day I use the opposite approach and close off the bedroom vents. That way I get more airflow where we are instead of all over the coach...
Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

We also have the GTS 2430S and our slide out is about an inch away from the body. We have had our Sunseeker for almost a year now. Just returned from our 7th trip and no problems with the slide out.

Regarding the AC: When we open up the vent on the ceiling unit we do not get air from the round vents. But when that vent is closed we do get air. Just thought I would mention this. Also, when the fan is on with the AC and the desired temp is achieved then there is not air flow from the vents. But when the AC unit kicks in then we get the cool flow.

Enjoy!
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #16

slide out issue

Can you see daylight along the floor behind drivers seat when slide is in? We can. Also if we are driving in the rain, water will splash up and puddle on the floor.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #17

Slide-out Issue

No water yet but not driven in heavy rain to date. As for A/C Vents have tried all kinds of things to try and get air to flow from the ones close to the unit to no avail. Will see what FR says in August at the Rally
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #18

If the vent on the AC unit itself is open that is called an air dump the vents will not work. When the air dump is off the strongest vents will be at each end of the RV. To get the middle vents to put out more air close the end vents more
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #19

We have a 2013 SS and had slide issues not closing fully. Are they Schwintec slides? If so check YouTube under Lippert for adjusting and re-snycing their slides. Worked for our rig.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #20

I don t think that's normal. If you can see light from outside then bugs and all kinds of vermin can get inside. As far as trusting the word of RV dealers I think that isn't a good idea although a few might be truthful. Besides that crack is going to be a mouse highway to inside your RV over the winter. I'd look around at more of the same units at different dealers to see if it's true.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, sunseeker