Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

Sunseeker tire temperature question

Hello, we have a 2016 Sunseeker 2430S. The Class C is 26 feet long. We have dualies in the back.

Today we had a TPMS installed. On the 40 mile drive home I was watching the monitor and and the tire pressures and the temperatures. In Texas today it is about 79-82 degrees.

My friend and her hubby were pulling their travel trailer home in west Texas on a very hot day in July and she told in a text message that "Our tires are 100 degrees!" That was the first I ever heard that someone could determine what their tire temp was. Now I see that they had a TPMS.

On our ride home today the front tires were about 126 degrees. The manual that came with the TPMS said there would be an alert if tire temp went about 176 degrees.

Thanks in advance

So (finally) my question: What temps, on our Class C, can we expect and did yours ever go over 176 degrees?

This may be basic for you but all new to us. I have wanted a TPMS for several years now and today was Christmas!
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #2

I don't run a TPMS on my class C tires, but I do run a TPMS on my utility trailer tires, and on my truck tires. 126 degrees F seems way too hot for class C tires. What cold pressure do you have in the motorhome tires? What load range rating are the tires? It seems they may be underinflated. Have you weighed the motorhome to determine what tire pressures you should be running?
Old 09-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #3

On a 90-95 degree day 105-110 is not unusual for the dual tires and 110-115 for the front. There is a lot of engine heat causing heat transfer to the front tires. Additionally, if you are in heavy stop and go traffic you get more heat from the brakes. I’ve seen135+ at times when it was really heavy traffic. As soon as you start continuous moving then the temperature comes down within 5-6 miles.

Ive also noticed the front temps rise 15-20 degrees while stopped to get gas.

Tags
question, sunseeker, temperature, tire