Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Surge Protector DIY?

Based on advice from many posts here, I'm looking into a surge protector for my (being built) Forester MBS. I first thought a portable one by Progressive Industries SSP-30 is a good choice, but later was convinced that this model is not sufficient - it does not detect low voltage, it does not switch on/off automatically. It does provide protection against spikes by absorbing it but the capacitor (?) will need to be replaced after a few uses. The Progressive Industries rep suggested this hardwired model with remote display, EMS-HW30C, which is also recommended by many users here. The rep said it's really not difficult to install it by myself.

Long story short, has anyone installed this model or the similar one without the remote by yourself? Is there any challenge? Obviously I'm not an electrician and don't plan to challenge myself to be one.
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Hardest part is finding a place to put it. Mine was easy as my power cord comes into my large storage area so just wired it in there. Three wires in- three wires out. Remote is just like a phone cord so it's a snap.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Dazed & Confused

I mounted mine in the space behind my converter which is under the refrigerator in my TT. I removed the 10/2 WG Romex feed from the convertor and attached it to the input of the surge protector, then ran a new ~2 foot piece of 10/2 WG Romex from the surge protector output to the input of the convertor. Be sure to get the wires hooked up in the correct position. As Hondaman said the remote display is just like a plug in telephone cord, but depending on where you mount the surge protector it my be tough to find a suitable place for the remote. Full disclosure, I am an electrician!
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Less then an hour install in my sabre 5th wheel.
I mounted mine behind the distribution center.
Installed 2 at the goshen rally
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

So the main and all breakers off.
Flip only the main on and house breaker trips?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

That's really encouraging.
I suppose where the cord for shore power is stored is the best place for the surge protector if there is room. I suppose you just cut the cord at the root and connect the surge protector to the cut ends. I hope all the wires and connectors are color coded or clearly marked.
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #7

wires are colored and the instructions that came with my Progressive Industries unit were very clear and easy to follow and great pictures
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Thumbs up

Installed the 50 amp Version in our Wildcat. The hardest part was bending the 6 gage wire to go onto the terminals. Other than that it was a breeze. Remote was also easy, fish the wiring through the wall, mounted by our thermostat and plugged it into the unit.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

I went with the Surge Guard product, was going to do the hard wire but decided to go portable due to lack of space in the Solera 24S compartment. Don't know kind of space you have in yours but it's something to look into. They are good to have saved me a couple of times.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
Site Team

The site team has moved this thread from the Solera sub-forum to the more appropriate Forester sub-forum.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The site team has moved this thread from the Solera sub-forum to the more appropriate Forester sub-forum.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
shouldn't it be in an electrical forum, since its not brand specific to the RV?
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Based on advice from many posts here, I'm looking into a surge protector for my (being built) Forester MBS. I first thought a portable one by Progressive Industries SSP-30 is a good choice, but later was convinced that this model is not sufficient - it does not detect low voltage, it does not switch on/off automatically. It does provide protection against spikes by absorbing it but the capacitor (?) will need to be replaced after a few uses. The Progressive Industries rep suggested this hardwired model with remote display, EMS-HW30C, which is also recommended by many users here. The rep said it's really not difficult to install it by myself.

Long story short, has anyone installed this model or the similar one without the remote by yourself? Is there any challenge? Obviously I'm not an electrician and don't plan to challenge myself to be one.

I have a Rockwood 2703WS and found plenty of room to mount the PI EMS-HW30C behind the converter. I am not an electrician and simply followed the instructions provided. Got it right the first try.

I have had a couple of occasions when the unit cut off power in low voltage situations.

I also pay close attention to the amps drawn by various appliances. This is helpful when DW begins plugging in multiple devices.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 02-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #13

In our Sunseeker, the cord comes in under the bed, where the transfer switch (between shore power and generator) is located and the power distribution panel. I mounted the system in that space. I found that the wire coming out of the transfer switch to the distro panel had lots of slack, so I cut that wire and used it to go in and out of the surge protector. Mounted the remote display next to the distro panel.

The advantage to mounting after the transfer switch is that you get protection not only on the incoming shore power, but also power from your generator. And the monitor tells you when you are approaching the upper limits of amps your generator can handle, and that it is putting out adequate voltage at or near 60 Htz. The disadvantage is that a large spike from shore power might take out the transfer switch since it is before the surge protection.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy