Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 View Post
Wife and I were camping lighting out. Our lights went off so we looked out and other camp sites still had lights. 128 sec later ours came back on. Wonder what future problems other campers had. We had none. It did it's job.....
You EMS did it's job. A surge protector can't do what yours did.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #22
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
According to Amazon, that ssp-30xl protects against " Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection, Miswired Pedestal Indication, Surge Failure Indicator"

I'm certain that there are Sunseeker owners out there who don't use one, but we used one on our TT and upgraded to an EMS for our small MH.

The surge protector which was similar to the one you're planning on getting saved us on more than one occasion from connecting to a pole with reverse polarity or an open ground.

It's definitely a good idea if you want to protect the electronics in your rv.
True that it detects but does not protect, so be watchful when hooking up. Also this model does not detect or protect against low voltage which could potentially destroy your microwave or AC unit.

Personally, with my limited 30 amp service I prefer the hardwired EMS so I can monitor the amp draw from inside the coach so I can determine if is ok to fire up another appliance or put the fridge or water heater on propane first.

Here is a link comparing all their products:

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...ed-comparisons
99 Terry 31G
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

The EMS protection is quite a bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Like insurance. Why bother with inexpensive insurance that isn't gonna cover much?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
It's like insurance. You don't need it till you need it!
Isn't that the truth. Big waste of money until it is the best money ever spent.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Not a total waste though. I like that it displays input voltage and current draw. Useful for keeping tabs on things and assuring you are not on verge of bad things happening.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #26

This is what is needed to protect and what I have been using for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2085.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	202024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2084.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	202025  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
This is what is needed to protect and what I have been using for years.
Looks like a good EMS and on par with the EMS-PT30X which is what I have. Big difference that I can see is the EMS-PT30X comes with a lifetime warranty vs 1 year.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B01N0W4CZ8
Old 04-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #28

I use a surge protector because at my house I was plugged in to 110v with adaptor and no surge protector, I got shocked standing in grass and touched the metal tt frame, investigation showed no ground system in my house, plugged in my surge guard and guess what red light no ground, rewire for ground and now it's safe, green lights, I had the hot skin issue, could of been killed if it rained, so with all this posting I would something, might save your tt or your life, the surge protector did it's job
Wonderful co-pilot
Old 04-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #29

surge

Yes you need one....i had 2 power surges in 2 different parks...fried my fireplace,microwave,antenna power booster....etc...i checked on plug in units and boy arre they pricey....i bought a whole house surge protecter from lowes and installed it inside my rig and no more problems...easy to install and CHEAP...
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Also a progressive EMS has a power delay. What this does is give the AC compressor time to bleed down in the event of a power blip.

It’s also nice that you don’t have to mess with turning the pedestal breaker off and on to protect the pins on your shore cord when you connect.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #31

I purchased one ( EMS-HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display ) and figured out how to install it before our first outing by watching a few youtube vids....no big deal. We went with the hardwire version and Im really glad we did.....no need to carry around / have to plug it in / worry about theft / etc. Love the display. The installation process gave me a chance to "get to now" our new RV better. This company sells them and provides over the phone help. Def get one !!
400w of solar on roof
Old 04-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
Yes you need one....i had 2 power surges in 2 different parks...fried my fireplace,microwave,antenna power booster....etc...i checked on plug in units and boy arre they pricey....i bought a whole house surge protecter from lowes and installed it inside my rig and no more problems...easy to install and CHEAP...
Unless it also protects from LOW voltage and electrical faults at the pedestal, you may be only getting what you paid for. I bit the bullet on this one and got the Progressive EMS. Lifetime warranty.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #33
Broken Toe

I fail to see the need. I guess its like nitrogen for tires. People who think it provides a value swear by it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #34
Trailer Park Supervisor

More like airbags. They are expensive, and most people will never use them. But when the time comes and if you live through it, you are happy you had them!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I fail to see the need. I guess its like nitrogen for tires. People who think it provides a value swear by it.

Tim
I suppose you feel the same way about various forms of insurance? There have been numerous examples where the EMS has paid for itself. If you'd rather roll the dice that's fine, but to say they're useless is simply false.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
I purchased one ( EMS-HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display ) and figured out how to install it before our first outing by watching a few youtube vids....no big deal. We went with the hardwire version and Im really glad we did.....no need to carry around / have to plug it in / worry about theft / etc. Love the display. The installation process gave me a chance to "get to now" our new RV better. This company sells them and provides over the phone help. Def get one !!

I just hardwired the same one and can't recommend it enough. The only thing I had to research on it was the reset time delay, primarily for the A/C compressor. I have a ducted system with a wall thermostat, so from my understanding I am able to use the shorter delay of 15 seconds rather than the 136 second delay.

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 5.7L V8 HEMI
Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #37
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I suppose you feel the same way about various forms of insurance? There have been numerous examples where the EMS has paid for itself. If you'd rather roll the dice that's fine, but to say they're useless is simply false.

I never said they are useless. I said I don't see the need for them. Carrying a spare engine for your truck around with you is not technically useless, but likewise I do not see the need to do so.

And am perfectly comfortable rolling those dice in either case.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I never said they are useless. I said I don't see the need for them. Carrying a spare engine for your truck around with you is not technically useless, but likewise I do not see the need to do so.

And am perfectly comfortable rolling those dice in either case.

Tim
Carrying around a spare engine is nothing like spending a couple hundred bucks on an EMS that can save more than its purchase price in repairs down the road.

You don't want to use one, that's fine, but you're making some odd comparisons to try and justify your stance.

I also don't see how you can say that "not seeing a need for them" is not the same as saying they're "useless."

Call it peace of mind for those of us that have and use them and have even experienced damage from power surges and brown outs over the years. There's a reason why we use and recommend them and it's not "just because."
Old 04-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #39

I am a master electrician. I have had a surge protector on my house for 30 years. I live in the lightning capital of the world. Florida. If it takes a hit I'll replace it. My RV is in Ma. Chances of it getting hit are slim to none. Don't have one there. but I have only $5000.00 invested there. I may purchase an EMS some day but I do have a auto transformer installed there. That's a whole nother story. 2002 not enough fancy electronic gadgetry to worry about it.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #40

We have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, when we were at the KOA in Elpaso and it tripped off saying over 131 volts. This saved us from replacing anything.
Closed Thread

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker