Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #101

Click image for larger version

Name:	CEC97002-63CF-43F8-A8E0-6A33C21DDF68.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	204314

My EMS.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Opinions, maybe.
Here's a fact: my hardwired Progressive Industries 50a EMS shut down my trailer's power system exactly 1 hundred twenty eleben times in the West Burns Run COE park on Lake Texoma for power at 138 volts... all the night before the Corps ran everyone off, closed the park, refunded fees.

Nope. Waste of money!!

Sorry. The devil made me. [emoji23][emoji23]
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvyankee2 View Post

Lol. I got some of those EMSs too....sho are cheaper....
Old 05-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvyankee2 View Post

Sooo...you just sit there all day watching it so you can run out and kill the breaker if there's a voltage problem? How does this detect wiring faults with the pedestal before sending power to your RV?

Just sayin'...
Old 05-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #105

I feel like folks that think that some 'ems' is somehow 'saving' their RV are making a lot of assumptions, but aren't necessarily aware of the real facts. Just sayin that the ems 'shut down' your electrical in your RV several hundred times has little bearing on whether any of those hundreds of times your RV would have suffered any ill will. But, I suppose, it helps to make owners think that they have somehow 'saved themselves' because they were smarter than everyone else. Everyone else in the campground had no issues, though.
An ems is like a smoke detector. When it goes off, it startles you, but at the same time soothes you, as it's helping to 'protect' you. All the while, it was just your better half in the kitchen 'cooking'.

Sometimes we in the RVing community, especially those new to the venture, somehow think that where they 'plug in' is somehow fraught with secret dangers and capabilities different from those at our own homes, yet we don't have an ems 'device' protecting that.

The ideas surrounding over voltage and under voltage are greatly exaggerated, and perpetrated by the industry that surrounds the devices to 'protect' us from the ravages of our electrical ignorance, and also the 'stories' that abound about how someone was 'protected' when something electrical 'happened' during their last camping trip, and how 'important' it is that we all participate in this additional expense to simply go 'camping' over the weekend. You never know when those unsuspecting campers will lose their microwave, fridge, and air conditioner during their camping trip all because of the campground's poor electrical condition! (not)...

almost 100,000 miles over almost 5 years over many, many, many different and various campgrounds, rv parks, private sites, homes, businesses, and some 'sketchy' electrical situations - and nary a single problem, lost appliance, over voltage, under voltage, or otherwise 'dangerous' issue with any place that we have 'plugged into' during our travels, stays, camping, or Rving journeys - in all of the US contiguous states, most ALL of the Canadian provinces, and even the wilds of Alaska.

Have we tripped breakers? sure, absolutely, especially during the very hot and humid months, and even during the cold winter months, for obvious 'overuse' reasons - but that's what a breaker is designed for. If the campground loses power, I do too, but losing power has no effect on appliances, it happens to them all the time - it's called the OFF button, or switch, or thermostat. Power fluctuations happen all the time, and actually is a CONSTANT of electrical power - there is no such thing as a 'perfect' 120v 24 hours per day, but any device or appliance is designed with that in mind and can easily handle the fluctuations. The stories of air conditioners 'burning up' because of low voltage is another sad 'story' that abounds, usually and continually told over and over again, and yet the 'teller' is just repeating what 'someone else' said some time ago, taken for truth, and yet with no facts. If the story were true, none of us would have working air conditioners - at home or in our RVs.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #106

You don't want an EMS, don't get one. But don't tell folks it's totally worthless.

You don't want enough truck to pull your new camper? Fine, but don't tell folks any truck will do.

You don't want to put on tires with sufficient load capacity for what you're towing? Fine, but don't tell folks they should do the same, and it'll be safe.

Why would anyone spend so much time trying to convince the rest of the towing public that doing without safety items is just fine and dandy for everyone? If you think folks are practicing overkill, why not just let them do so? Who is it hurting?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I feel like folks that think that some 'ems' is somehow 'saving' their RV are making a lot of assumptions, but aren't necessarily aware of the real facts. Just sayin that the ems 'shut down' your electrical in your RV several hundred times has little bearing on whether any of those hundreds of times your RV would have suffered any ill will. But, I suppose, it helps to make owners think that they have somehow 'saved themselves' because they were smarter than everyone else. Everyone else in the campground had no issues, though.
An ems is like a smoke detector. When it goes off, it startles you, but at the same time soothes you, as it's helping to 'protect' you. All the while, it was just your better half in the kitchen 'cooking'.

Sometimes we in the RVing community, especially those new to the venture, somehow think that where they 'plug in' is somehow fraught with secret dangers and capabilities different from those at our own homes, yet we don't have an ems 'device' protecting that.

The ideas surrounding over voltage and under voltage are greatly exaggerated, and perpetrated by the industry that surrounds the devices to 'protect' us from the ravages of our electrical ignorance, and also the 'stories' that abound about how someone was 'protected' when something electrical 'happened' during their last camping trip, and how 'important' it is that we all participate in this additional expense to simply go 'camping' over the weekend. You never know when those unsuspecting campers will lose their microwave, fridge, and air conditioner during their camping trip all because of the campground's poor electrical condition! (not)...

almost 100,000 miles over almost 5 years over many, many, many different and various campgrounds, rv parks, private sites, homes, businesses, and some 'sketchy' electrical situations - and nary a single problem, lost appliance, over voltage, under voltage, or otherwise 'dangerous' issue with any place that we have 'plugged into' during our travels, stays, camping, or Rving journeys - in all of the US contiguous states, most ALL of the Canadian provinces, and even the wilds of Alaska.

Have we tripped breakers? sure, absolutely, especially during the very hot and humid months, and even during the cold winter months, for obvious 'overuse' reasons - but that's what a breaker is designed for. If the campground loses power, I do too, but losing power has no effect on appliances, it happens to them all the time - it's called the OFF button, or switch, or thermostat. Power fluctuations happen all the time, and actually is a CONSTANT of electrical power - there is no such thing as a 'perfect' 120v 24 hours per day, but any device or appliance is designed with that in mind and can easily handle the fluctuations. The stories of air conditioners 'burning up' because of low voltage is another sad 'story' that abounds, usually and continually told over and over again, and yet the 'teller' is just repeating what 'someone else' said some time ago, taken for truth, and yet with no facts. If the story were true, none of us would have working air conditioners - at home or in our RVs.

You didn’t ask and may not care, but I agree with a bunch of this and you also may or not know I am an EMS supporter. That being said...the a/c can prolly handle an over/low voltage situation better than some appliances can...heavier windings in at least part of it...and designed to operate over a range of loads.

I have also read where today’s electronics can handle a pretty good range of voltage input WITHOUT overheating in most cases. I think micros are kinda finicky about voltage...mostly an assumption from protection devices available.

Just thought I would share.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #108

I worked for a power utility and have first-hand knowledge of many instances where low-voltage has damaged electronics and electric motors. Goes without saying that the same happens with surges and lightning strikes. In the grand scheme of things, yes, the percentage of damages because of issues is low, but I do see having a protector as a safeguard to prevent issues and maybe save some money later. I do not own a surge protector/EMS yet. The Progressive Industries EMSPT30X is on the list of things to purchase once funds are free. As a result, I cannot speak to how well it works. Interesting to read second-hand info about the sensitivity of the item.

I think forums have many instances where opinions are offered. Some of these opinions cause nothing but arguments, and many choose the road of arguing, which causes ill-will. This is unfortunate. It doesn’t really help. People go to forums for help; not to read posts that could be classified as opinionated bullying. Some at online forums either know everything or have to one-up others. Society needs drama, I suppose. Disdain for products should not be expressed in ways that prevent others from saving money by using such products. Not everyone is the same. Some will find a use for an item, while others will not.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:22 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Sooo...you just sit there all day watching it so you can run out and kill the breaker if there's a voltage problem? How does this detect wiring faults with the pedestal before sending power to your RV?

Just sayin'...

I have a surge protector that indicates wiring faults.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:01 AM   #110
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post

I think forums have many instances where opinions are offered. Some of these opinions cause nothing but arguments, and many choose the road of arguing, which causes ill-will. This is unfortunate. It doesn’t really help. People go to forums for help; not to read posts that could be classified as opinionated bullying. Some at online forums either know everything or have to one-up others. Society needs drama, I suppose. Disdain for products should not be expressed in ways that prevent others from saving money by using such products. Not everyone is the same. Some will find a use for an item, while others will not.
This is a great post above, and is indicative of several things that the site team and members are keenly aware of. This forum is for helping others.... not arguing, bullying, or just not letting go.

We have noted this recently about hurting threads:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2034551

The site team is also going to really start enforcing the guideline below:

Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go

We also ask members to report to us, any threads where they see the above happening (members posting multiple posts in a thread and not letting go), so we can ensure that our forums are kept friendly and helpful so everyone can benefit.

We are also closing this thread since nothing new is being added.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker