Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 12:50 AM   #1

Swapping out a solid window for one that opens??

On our 2300 we have a large window on the back of the coach that does not open and it's also not the emergency exit neither, its right behind the queen bed and we would like to install a window that slides open with a screen so we can get a nice cross breeze while we sleep.

I've contacted forest river who says they can't install one due to the liability of someone leaving it open while driving and exhaust fumes being drawn in but said I could install one myself (I would only open it while stopped) I also contacted the oem window manufacturer who was no help at all and won't even return phone calls! So my question is has anyone had any luck ordering windows from a particular company???

2nd question, has anyone ordered higher rate spring packs for the rear of the coach to help with side to side level? Ours sits about 1.5-2" low on the passenger side and I can only get it 3/4" closer with the air springs and that's only possible by putting 90lbs in one and almost none in the other side. (I've never drove it like that) it's not horrible but it's noticeable!
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #2

There are mostly common sizes in RV windows. You can definitely buy one to fit. You could even call Bontrager's Surplus in White Pigeon, MI to see if they have a surplus one that fits. That would be a half day drive from central IL.

I broke a handle on my dinette window, and called the window manufacturer. But darn if I can remember the company, lol.

Do you have a Chevy? I do, and my 2300 sits lower on the passenger side as well. It bugs me but I don't intend to re-spring it. Maybe we need to get them weighed by each corner. Maybe the driver side pack could be lightened.

You could take it to a truck spring place and see what they think. I have used Kankakee Spring Co for truck and RV work. There are similar places in many big towns, so I'm sure there is one in Springfield or Lincoln, etc.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
There are mostly common sizes in RV windows. You can definitely buy one to fit. You could even call Bontrager's Surplus in White Pigeon, MI to see if they have a surplus one that fits. That would be a half day drive from central IL.

I broke a handle on my dinette window, and called the window manufacturer. But darn if I can remember the company, lol.

Do you have a Chevy? I do, and my 2300 sits lower on the passenger side as well. It bugs me but I don't intend to re-spring it. Maybe we need to get them weighed by each corner. Maybe the driver side pack could be lightened.

You could take it to a truck spring place and see what they think. I have used Kankakee Spring Co for truck and RV work. There are similar places in many big towns, so I'm sure there is one in Springfield or Lincoln, etc.
Hey thanks for the reply,

I'll def give them a call on the window.. my 2300 sits on the E450 Ford chassis and as you know pretty much everything heavy is on the passenger side like the bed, stove, microwave, fridge and batteries just to name a few. The gas tank on mine and the fresh water tank are the only 2 items that are centered and the grey and black tanks along with the generator are on the drivers side.

I've contacted a couple spring shops in my area but neither really seamed like they wanted to mess with it but just today I read about a company named "ujoint Offroad" and they specialize in 4x4 conversions on Ford and Chevy vans and class C motorhomes and they say when they do a conversion they weigh the camper before they start and they always find that the camper manufactures always sells the units under sprung and they have to fix the issue with new springs so i'm going to weigh mine and give them a call a see what they recommend.... they also say this drastically improves the ride of the coach!
Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #4

Please let us know how the suspension quest works out. I don't think our 2300/ 450's are undersprung, though.

The gray and black tanks run full width, at least on mine. You can see the ends of them in the compartment by the water pump, and the sewer compartment.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Back in the 80's my parents had a Dodge chassis van cab motorhome and it did the same thing. They took it to a shop and they added a leaf to the spring on the passenger side. Solved the problem of the left lean.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

I also have a sunseeker 24 and would love to have a back window that opens. Preferably an awning type that could be left open when it rains. Please keep me/us posted on your efforts to locate a window. Thanks
waterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Peninsula Glass in Vancouver WA custom makes any RV window you want.
Rvwindows.com
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

Easy RV Window Replacement

Here is a link to a company that sells replacement RV windows.
tom2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
Please let us know how the suspension quest works out. I don't think our 2300/ 450's are undersprung, though.

The gray and black tanks run full width, at least on mine. You can see the ends of them in the compartment by the water pump, and the sewer compartment.
Yep the tanks are the same on mine, the spring pack on the driver side is basically flat on mine and the passengers is frowning... lol i'm sure a add a leaf would fix it!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #10

Here is a video on replacing an RV window. They used motionwindows.com

Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #11

Cool, I downloaded their template for determining what radius I have but I have to wait till I get the RV back from the dealer
Old 12-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #12

Yes! I had the lawn service shoot a rock through my one month old 3170 bunkhouse window. Cleer vision was window OEM to FR. Called dealer to get price and almost puked. Called CV direct and paid less than half of what I was being quoted ...including shipping!
Between them Amazon and YouTube got all materials and knowledge needed to make an easy job of it.

http://www.cleervision.com/
BigPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #13

Ps - good think about OEM window was CV knew exactly what grade/Shade of tint my unit had in all other windows ...so no mismatch. Which in bunkhouse was a big deal since it's one of two stacked windows. An oddball would have looked hokey.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Peninsula Glass in Vancouver WA custom makes any RV window you want.
Rvwindows.com
Live 1 mile from them......have used them in the past, but $$$$
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppy View Post
Yes! I had the lawn service shoot a rock through my one month old 3170 bunkhouse window. Cleer vision was window OEM to FR. Called dealer to get price and almost puked. Called CV direct and paid less than half of what I was being quoted ...including shipping!
Between them Amazon and YouTube got all materials and knowledge needed to make an easy job of it.

Cleer Vision --Home
Good deal, I've called cleer vision several times and left several messages but other than the one time I spoke to a young lady I can't get them to return any calls or emails! The lady I spoke to said for me to check with forest river about putting a opening window on the rear of the coach because she didn't think it was legal but did say if I got the okay that they would be happy to sell me whatever I wanted...

As soon as I got off the phone with her I called forest river and was told that THEY could not install opening windows on the rear of coaches due to the possibity of exhaust fumes coming in if someone left the window open but was told I could order and install anything I wanted. I called cleer vision right back and got a voicemail and have called and left several messages on atleast 3 different occasions and sent several emails and still no response!

I hope I can get through soon because I'd like to order the window, do they make custom sizes because I can't find my size window anywhere on their website?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #16

Wow! I never had a problem communicating - not even close. Hmm.
As far as the window and exhaust that doesn't wash with me.. my 3170 exhaust routes out the passenger side very near my bunk room slides and both of those windows open.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppy View Post
Wow! I never had a problem communicating - not even close. Hmm.
As far as the window and exhaust that doesn't wash with me.. my 3170 exhaust routes out the passenger side very near my bunk room slides and both of those windows open.
lol that's the same thing I said to the guy at forest river, the exhaust is directly under the window that's next to our bed. And the gen exhaust is right next to the dinett window! He said something about the way the air moves when the coach is going down the road... most likely some high paid lawyer came up with that!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #18

If you start over with the window company, don't tell them where it's going. Just say I need such and such window.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #19

If the OP does this mod and later sells the unit, is he on the hook for the liability?
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Sell as is.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window