Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Puzzlme

Tail light filled with water.

2013 3010 DS
Just completed a 9000 mile road trip and encountered some great weather. After the occasional rain I noticed that the RR Tail lights were filled with water. I drained and reinstalled the 3 lenses thinking they perhaps hadn't been tightened on installation. After the next rain storm, my tail, brake and signal lights were out. Seems the lenses filled with cold rain water and the hot bulbs exploded on contact. For the remainder of the trip I drained them whenever it rained.

Any idea why this might be happening or what I can do to prevent this from happening again?
I have made sure there is no debris around the seal.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

There have been some reports of problems like this. You may need to apply some caulking to the top edge of the tail light lens. Or another solution is to change the taillights to LEDs. They are much brighter and a sealed unit. This is what I did:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410133621.599637.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	62345

Top one is new LED. Bottom one is not yet changed. Here they are with LEDs for taillights and back up lights:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410133705.457353.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	62346

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Had trouble-------------

Had trouble with my rear running or clearance lights getting water inside, the ones across the top. Removed the red lens, cleaned inside. Drilled small hole in bottom edge of lens for drainage, re-installed lens, caulked
across the top seam to keep water out.

No more water.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

Common problem for a couple model years. I used bulb grease across the lens tops and drilled small holes to drain. Others have caulked or used RTV but that can make the lens hard to remove latter. As long as the water can't build up and splash onto the bulbs you should be okay.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
2013 Sunseeker 3170DS FD

This happened to me as well after the first trip in the Sunseeker 3170 DS. Of course our first trip w/out brakes and turn signals was a bit terrifying, thankfully the wife was with the kids in the mini-van behind us. The dealer fixed it free of charge. I also re-caulked over the dealer. Not sure if it was water or bad lights but it sure wasn't right!
Swing Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #6

Here is a link the the replacement LED's for the Bargman tail lights. They have a pigtail that simply plugs into the the existing light socket. Works well.
Amazon.com: Bargman 47-84-410 Red LED Upgrade Kit for #84/#85/#86 Series Stop/Tail/Turn Light: Automotive

There was also another thread on here about the problem. Here is that link.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-62520-3.html
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Commercial Member

I am told it is not a problem...apparently it is designed that way. I sent this up the river to the engineers at Bargman basically saying I was tired of the complaints. They call it a "drain and dry" design. They say if they seal it and water does infiltrate, then the water has no place to drain.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #8

The LED conversion is a great solution to the problem after-market. Could Bargman produce a product that could be used as an original install? I switched to LEDs as a safety factor. Almost got rear-ended on Interstate when stopped for crash. Car turned at last second and ended in the ditch beside my passenger door. The LEDs are 10 times brighter than the incandescents that come on the MH. The LED backup lights are also very bright which is great for backing into campsite in the dark. (See my pictures posted above.)

Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #9

We replaced our 3170 rear lights with the Bargman LED lights show in RvBill3's above post. Ours have no reflective properties, so we added stick on reflectors from an auto parts store. If you are careful, they look like they came on the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I am told it is not a problem...apparently it is designed that way. I sent this up the river to the engineers at Bargman basically saying I was tired of the complaints. They call it a "drain and dry" design. They say if they seal it and water does infiltrate, then the water has no place to drain.
They are right. It condensates inside the lenses from the moisture in the air with the warmth of the bulb.

We use to have alot of problems with the clear aftermarket lights that were real popular 15 years ago, holding water and discoloring or eroding the chrome inside. Our fix was to drill an 1/8th inch or smaller hole in the lower corners of each lense. Never had an issue and I did it proactively on every set i installed.
I dont think you have to go as big as an 1/8, but give it a shot.....unless your wanting the upgrade
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Reminds me of a joke I heard years ago....Engineers design it...common folk make it fit or work! LOL
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #12

Engineers design what works, purchasing agents buy what's cheapest, then marketing sells it for slightly less than the good design.

Then engineers get blamed because the designed-to-a-price junk fails.

Retired engineer
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
The LED conversion is a great solution to the problem after-market. Could Bargman produce a product that could be used as an original install? I switched to LEDs as a safety factor. Almost got rear-ended on Interstate when stopped for crash. Car turned at last second and ended in the ditch beside my passenger door. The LEDs are 10 times brighter than the incandescents that come on the MH. The LED backup lights are also very bright which is great for backing into campsite in the dark. (See my pictures posted above.) 100% Correct! LEDs so (The OTHER GUY) can see YOU! Youroo!! PS and the LEDs are Totally sealed/No Water!

OK!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a 001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	66226  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Engineers design what works, purchasing agents buy what's cheapest, then marketing sells it for slightly less than the good design.

Then engineers get blamed because the designed-to-a-price junk fails.

Retired engineer
Very true.

Another retired engineer.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Infractee

Quote:
Spurious logic...
If it is sealed, water can not infiltrate, if it was not possible to properly seal a lens housing then every car going down the road would look like it has 2 red fish tanks in the back.

As for the lens filling up from condensate... sealed lenses would also solve this problem. All those clear lenses were all chinese crap with phony DOT labels. They were sealed as well as a submarine with a screen door.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Preaching to the choir. I am already looking for other options.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #17

I put a strip of black electrical tape under the lens cover and over the raised edge of the lamp base to help form better seal. Worked like a charm.

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 11-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Did you have the urge to strangle them?

If they are a "drain and dry" design why do they do neither? Then every year you also need to remove the lens and wash them (don't forget to dry them) as they fill up with dirt and further cloud the lens. What a crock. I know you need to be PC but I don't.

And it is great that you spend time here to help. Thank you!
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRollingRoadblock View Post
Did you have the urge to strangle them?

!
You read my mind. I had 20 samples of tail lights in my office the day after I got their email.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #20
Average Joe

You can add mine to the list. I keep a supply of bulbs in the glove box....

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, water