Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #1

Tank heaters

I store my 2860DS indoors in a single bay storage unit (shared walls either side) with power in central Illinois. I would like to keep unit non-winterized a few weeks begin/end season indoors with tank heaters on.... any thoughts on this?
RV4me21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4me21 View Post
I store my 2860DS indoors in a single bay storage unit (shared walls either side) with power in central Illinois. I would like to keep unit non-winterized a few weeks begin/end season indoors with tank heaters on.... any thoughts on this?
My thoughts----

Tank heaters don't heat the water lines or hot water heater tank. Freezing water in the FW tank and holding tanks isn't as big an issue as freezing in water lines or water heater where the ice is more confined and can cause breakage. Also, the water filter if one is installed.

If power is available I'd actually empty the tanks (which I do on mine) and run a couple of space heaters inside to keep the temp up around 50 -55 degrees. Open cabinet doors so heat can reach the nooks and crannies where the water lines are routed.

Since you are only talking a couple weeks this would be my choice.

FWIW I didn't winterize all last winter and with temps only dropping into the mid 20's I had no issues. My electric bill for the heat ran about $30 per month or less than what my last lunch with my Son cost

Tank heaters work fairly well when the unit is in use and the interior heated.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4me21 View Post
On a Sunseeker like yours, the tank heaters will not keep the water pump, water filter, and associated plumbing warm, nor will the tank heaters keep any water in the fresh water tank or water heater from freezing. The pump and filter are in a basement bay typically heated by a furnace duct. If you store indoors, you can't (shouldn't) run the furnace.

The tank heaters also may or may not heat enough to keep the waste drain valves from freezing in really cold weather.

I store indoors in unheated space, but with power available. If I want to just keep things from freezing for a short while in relatively mild freezing weather, I run a small thermostat controlled 300 watt heater in the water pump bay, and a larger space heater in the living quarters, along with the waste tank heaters (but only if there is liquid in the waste tanks).

My climate is like yours, since per your profile, I probably live within 30 miles of you.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:34 PM   #4

I drain the tanks and lines and store our TT in a non-heated garage. We do have power so I use an oil filled space heater at #1 on the 600 watt switch.
I also cut an access hole to the water pump to let the warm air circulate to the pump.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
I drain the tanks and lines and store our TT in a non-heated garage. We do have power so I use an oil filled space heater at #1 on the 600 watt switch.
I also cut an access hole to the water pump to let the warm air circulate to the pump.
Is your water pump in an enclosed basement compartment under the floor, like on the OP's class C? If so, did you cut a hole through the floor to provide heat? Do you run 12 volt DC waste tank heaters as well?
Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #6

Not sure how the 2860 is set up but on my 3051 one of the first things I did when it was new was remove all the wall linings in the storage bay on the pax side where the water pump resides. It also opens up the black and gray tanks and tank flush fitting. An old fashioned 100 watt light bulb, in reflector, in both the left and right side compartments, along with compressed air through all lines and a small ceramic space heater in the middle of the living area is good down to 15 degrees. Most 3011 and 3051 models have 12 volt fresh tank heater pads as standard equipment.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Not sure how the 2860 is set up but on my 3051 one of the first things I did when it was new was remove all the wall linings in the storage bay on the pax side where the water pump resides. It also opens up the black and gray tanks and tank flush fitting. An old fashioned 100 watt light bulb, in reflector, in both the left and right side compartments, along with compressed air through all lines and a small ceramic space heater in the middle of the living area is good down to 15 degrees. Most 3011 and 3051 models have 12 volt fresh tank heater pads as standard equipment.

Did you install 120 volt outlet(s) in the compartments to run the 100 watt light bulbs? I was thinking of adding an outlet down there.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Did you install 120 volt outlet(s) in the compartments to run the 100 watt light bulbs? I was thinking of adding an outlet down there.
No outlets. That would require more effort than I want to expend.

I just run an extension cord (smallest gauge available) to each side. Pax side the cord fits between the door and frame with enough pressure to keep the door closed without touching the seal. Driver side the cord runs up through the big access hole underneath.

Tags
heater, tank