Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Taped all my roof seams with Eternabond today

I spent about 5 hours today putting on 3 new Camco vent covers and taping all the roof seams with Eternabond tape. It was a lot of work but I feel pretty good about keeping the water out now. I didn't have a leak, this was a preventative measure. Has anyone else done this? Click the link below to watch the video if you want to see it.

Taping the Roof Seams
Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

I'm thinking of doing the same with my 5th wheel. 3 years old, so time for some maintenance, so might as well tape it and not worry about it again.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

I did mine after discovering a leak from the skylight. Went on the roof a couple times to check things, but never found the Eternabond lifting. That stuff is amazing!
Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

The giant roll of eb is sitting in the garage and will be installed some day doing just what you did.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to snljones Send a message via MSN to snljones
Same here. Bought it, just waiting for a cool day. Any tips or things to avoid?
snljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snljones View Post
Make sure it is EXACTLY where you want it applied when you put it down. It is not very forgiving.

Also have some kind of roller with you to flatten any bubbles that arise.

This stuff is great.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Same advice as dmdrj5 said. I slowly peeled away about a foot or more of the clear covering, kept it stretched as I slowing used my hand to pat it down onto the roof. Just take your time and you will get it down in good order. As you may have heard on my video, the couple places I didn't do so well, I cut a patch and put it down. Its on the roof so it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I spent about 5 hours today putting on 3 new Camco vent covers and taping all the roof seams with Eternabond tape. It was a lot of work but I feel pretty good about keeping the water out now. I didn't have a leak, this was a preventative measure. Has anyone else done this? Click the link below to watch the video if you want to see it.

Taping the Roof Seams
Did the EB Tape to all the seams on our Lexi when it was still new. 3 years now and still tight and dry.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

I did my class C about a month ago. It took 3 fifty foot rolls to do the perimeter and the many roof vents. It took about 1.5 days total, including a good cleaning of the entire roof surface. For me, it was a preventative measure. I couldn't believe how sticky that eternabond is!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Make sure the surface is very clean! There must have been some sort of coating on my roof and the Eternabond did not want to stick. I had to use a Scotchbrite pad to remove whatever it was. Also prep the surface with Acetone, and use a good roller.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

Good job looks nice ! - it's great you did it before a leak instead of after like I had to lol.

The vortex fan (or vortex2) Is a very easy replacement for that piece of crap toy thing that they come with in the bathroom. I also did one in the bedroom - most units are pre wired it's just under the trim in there just FYI
skylilymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:

Taping the Roof Seams
I have a 2009 2860DS with the exact same roof layout. I also did what you did a few months ago. I used a bit more Eternabond tape in the corners, I overlapped them and kinda built up a dam so the water that pools in the corners is farther away from any seams. There were two there things I did. First I used a stiff bristle brush on a 6 foot handle and used some Simple Green and scrubbed the heck out of the entire roof. I then used Eternaclean and Acetone on all surfaces that would get the tape. I also used the EternaPrime before putting down the tape. I finished the job by putting Dicor on all the interior Eternabond tape edges, this will make cleaning the roof easier in the future so the edges are not disturbed by cleaning. Our coaches have a poor roof design in my opinion. Water should not be allowed to pool on the roof. Rubber roofs wrap over the edges and most have more of a crown so the water just runs off the roof and doesn't challenge the seams.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:

Taping the Roof Seams
We actually did the same after having it recommended by a friend. It works good and we have had no leaks. As the expression goes "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" right. :>)
anjb3741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #14

Great idea and thanks for video. My 2008 could use this.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
About 10 years ago I did the seems on my old Bantam B17 after finding a few leaks. I sold it last year and the eternabond was still perfect (no work on the roof, just checking up on it). I love that stuff.

As I work on my Lexi I will replace all the roof caulk with it.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #16

Did my Rockwood 2608 TT 18 months ago when new like I did my previous TT. Did them both preventively. Used acetone to clean the surface and a basic wallpaper roller to roll it down. So far no problems and have survived a few hellacious rain and hail storms out west the past two summers. I think I'll get on the roof and roll down the edges this week just to be sure. Have 6 more weeks on this yrs trip.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #17

Quote:

Taping the Roof Seams

Where did you buy your tape? Did you use the 2" or 4" to seal the seams?
Thanks
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Where did you buy your tape? Did you use the 2" or 4" to seal the seams?
Thanks
I bought 3 rolls of the 4" tape off of Amazon. I used more than 2 and 1/2 of the rolls.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #19

I used the 4" 50ft roll. Bought it on Amazon; about $55, but search around did cheaper. I always have a roll in the RV. Never leave home w/o it. Good for applications that requires something much tougher than tape.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #20

Nice job
aemail4sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, roo, roof