Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #1

Thermostat Change Out ?

I want to change out the factory installed thermostat because it does not provide an economy setting, I have changed all the old thermostats in other stuff I own and now need to change out on the Sunseeker 2300 thermostat. Has anyone else done something like this? I'm looking for wiring info.

The controller I want to install will have an economy setting where the A/C unit blower will also shut down until the compressor needs to switch on again. I really like the quiet time between cooling cycles. Usually I will use a small portable fan set on low (quiet) speed to move the air around inside.

Thanks for ideas.
Teaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaman View Post
I want to change out the factory installed thermostat because it does not provide an economy setting, I have changed all the old thermostats in other stuff I own and now need to change out on the Sunseeker 2300 thermostat. Has anyone else done something like this? I'm looking for wiring info.

The controller I want to install will have an economy setting where the A/C unit blower will also shut down until the compressor needs to switch on again. I really like the quiet time between cooling cycles. Usually, I will use a small portable fan set on low (quiet) speed to move the air around inside.
Thanks for ideas.
I wouldn't call it the economy, that's how AC systems are supposed to work. You run the fan all the time (on) or cycle it with the compressor (auto). I don't understand the RV world running the fan every couple of min. Stupid. To do what you want your have to do some fancy wiring to eliminate some sensors in the roof unit.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:

The controller I want to install will have an economy setting where the A/C unit blower will also shut down until the compressor needs to switch on again. I really like the quiet time between cooling cycles. Usually I will use a small portable fan set on low (quiet) speed to move the air around inside.

Thanks for ideas.

We have a 2300 and that is just how ours works when the fan is set on auto. Fan runs when compressor runs unless I don’t set the fan to auto. It will then run the fan all the time.

Alan
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #4

A/C Thermostat Question

Thanks AWilson. Good tip. I'll check Thermostat for that Auto setting next time I'm out to Motorhome.

By the way, I'm a full timer and stay in my 30 foot camper at an RV park. I installed a digital thermostat years ago. I love the quiet times between A/C cycling on. I can set it to Economy (Auto?), and have long periods of quiet, especially during the night. But still maintain a fairly steady Temp inside.

Got this new to me 'shorty' 23 foot Motorhome for easy travels and driving effort during travels.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #5

I have never seen an "economy" setting on a T-stat.

If you have a pic of one, I'd like to see it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #6

I don't like the noise either, but in the south the a/c is a Blessing. YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Thanks AWilson. Good tip. I'll check Thermostat for that Auto setting next time I'm out to Motorhome.

By the way, I'm a full timer and stay in my 30 foot camper at an RV park. I installed a digital thermostat years ago. I love the quiet times between A/C cycling on. I can set it to Economy (Auto?), and have long periods of quiet, especially during the night. But still maintain a fairly steady Temp inside.

Got this new to me 'shorty' 23 foot Motorhome for easy travels and driving effort during travels.

When you cycle through the setting and you reach the ‘fan’ it should something like ‘auto’ then ‘lo’ and ‘hi’. Lo or Hi runs all the time on the selected speed. I hope your thermostat is like mine so you have the same results I have explained. Glad to help out.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

Just for any newbies out there. There is no economy setting on a t-stat. Don't look for one. The fan is either in the on position or the Auto position or the off position Newer units add a hi and low position.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:

Thanks for ideas.
Do you have your fan set on - ON ???
Do you have an AUTO setting !!!
Sorry if I arrived late to the party !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

Teaman here. .............. Thanks all for the tips. Hooray!!! Yall are right. I got to looking at the Dometic controller more closely and found it. On the controller, there were only three major Modes marked. These were Fan, Cool, and Furnace. The mode switch was at the bottom. As you pressed the button, the unit would cycle thru the modes. Fan, then Cool, then Furnace, and then OFF. Then it would start over again.

Following some of the tips here, when on the Fan setting, I used the up/down buttons and there was Hi, then Au, then Hi again. So I tried Au setting.

Then went over to Mode again and this time I cycled down to Cool. I left it there and after 20 seconds of so, the A/C unit kicks on. Heh heh, good so far. Then I fiddled with the Temp UP/DN buttons - set the temp to just a couple degrees above the ambient air inside to quickly run this test. Yes, in about 10 minutes the A/C unit completely shut off. Air blower not running.

Yall saved me some work. I could have used this last year. Oh Well.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Teaman here. .............. Thanks all for the tips. Hooray!!! Yall are right. I got to looking at the Dometic controller more closely and found it. On the controller, there were only three major Modes marked. These were Fan, Cool, and Furnace. The mode switch was at the bottom. As you pressed the button, the unit would cycle thru the modes. Fan, then Cool, then Furnace, and then OFF. Then it would start over again.

Following some of the tips here, when on the Fan setting, I used the up/down buttons and there was Hi, then Au, then Hi again. So I tried Au setting.

Then went over to Mode again and this time I cycled down to Cool. I left it there and after 20 seconds of so, the A/C unit kicks on. Heh heh, good so far. Then I fiddled with the Temp UP/DN buttons - set the temp to just a couple degrees above the ambient air inside to quickly run this test. Yes, in about 10 minutes the A/C unit completely shut off. Air blower not running.

Yall saved me some work. I could have used this last year. Oh Well.
Sometimes reading the manual can help. Just sayin'.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #12

Teaman again. ......... Yep - the suggested tips got me on the right track and all is now well in this little motorhome. Oh! after receiving some expert advice that there is never anything on a digital thermostat controller that says 'Econ' (Economy), I got up and checked the digital thermostat on the Frigidaire A/C unit in my 30 ft camper.

Sure enough the expert was wrong, This Frigidaire A/C shows first 'Cool', then 'Econ', and then 'Fan Only'.

Then the expert suggests that the "Newbees" need to learn more about thermostats. Heh heh, Maybe so, but I definitely 'ain't no newbee' I was out with friends camping on the ground in the woods all the way back in the mid 1940s. Been doing ever since. Guess maybe I need to run my post count up some more or something.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Teaman again. ......... Yep - the suggested tips got me on the right track and all is now well in this little motorhome. Oh! after receiving some expert advice that there is never anything on a digital thermostat controller that says 'Econ' (Economy), I got up and checked the digital thermostat on the Frigidaire A/C unit in my 30 ft camper.

Sure enough the expert was wrong, This Frigidaire A/C shows first 'Cool', then 'Econ', and then 'Fan Only'.

Then the expert suggests that the "Newbees" need to learn more about thermostats. Heh heh, Maybe so, but I definitely 'ain't no newbee' I was out with friends camping on the ground in the woods all the way back in the mid 1940s. Been doing ever since. Guess maybe I need to run my post count up some more or something.
Only the RV world could screw up the AC industery language. Economy? Really? Does anybody know how much is saved in this "Economy" mode?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #14

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Only the RV world could screw up the AC industery language. Economy? Really? Does anybody know how much is saved in this "Economy" mode?
And does the OP know what ECONOMY means? What's it do? The OP hasn't told us. So I'm guessing he STILL hasn't read his owners manual.

And BTW: I only said I had never seen a T-stat with an Economy mode. (And I STILL haven't - I asked for a pic, but didn't get one.) This is also the first time I've ever heard of a Fridgidaire AC unit in an RV. I even googled "Frigidaire RV air conditioner" and only got window units. So it'd be nice to see a pic of that, too. Then we all could REALLY be experts.

This video of a 2013 Sunseeker 2300 shows a Dometic T-stat (starts a 2:14).

These have Dometic Tstats, too:

2013 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Class C Rockford, MI North Town Motor Homes

https://www.rvt.com/Forest-River-Sun...70883-UX100046

2013 Sunseeker Ford 2300 #R29847A | Reliable RV in Springfield, MO Missouri

Now Dometic and Frigidaire are both ultimately owned by the same Swedish company (Electrolux), but I've still never seen or heard of a Frigidaire brand RV AC unit or T-stat. So if you really have them, I'd sure like to see pics of them.

"I Am Always Ready to Learn, Although I Do Not Always Like Being Taught"

Old 05-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Suggestion: Let us assume positive intent when we read posts. If proven otherwise, simply add the individual to your ignore list and move on.
It is very difficult to convey tonal quality in a short post. Add to that a litany of differences and a good question can become a smart aleck remark. I work at improving my tolerance level every time I read something that pushes a button. So I will leave you with something that my Mother used to tell me and my brother some 60 years ago; “PLAY NICE BOYS”

Tags
thermostat