Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #21

We own an SOB (2010 Fleetwood Jamboree). At 35', this thing is huge, plus we just started towing a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport this year. We upgraded, first from a 16' toy hauler, then a 19' toy hauler. I can drive it just fine, but my DH still does the majority of the driving in it. Now that the grandkids have all moved out of our area, I kind of wish we had a shorter unit, but we are both plus sized and like having extra space in the bathroom and shower. Besides, our doxie mix likes having the sofa all to himself.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #22
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I had a class A and never had a toad but it diffidently is a necessity . Even a class C I would have one and you do not have to buy a very expensive one. Friend of mine tows a Chevy Cruse with his class C and gets real good mileage on the car when they drive it. Just something to consider. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-18 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #23

I recently bought a Forrester 2861DS Class C. I previously pulled a 33ft 5th wheel but there was a lot of setup at the campsite and prep for travel since I, like you, usually travel alone so I wanted something that was easy to setup once I got to the campground. I have dogs that I travel with and that is also easier for me since I don't have to move them from the tow vehicle to the camper. The only downside I've found with my Class C is that I don't have an available vehicle to get around with once I get to my destination. What I've done to overcome that is to rent a car if I want to do some local sightseeing. That has worked out well for me.
Single Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #24

Thanks so much for all the input. I love the FR forums - folks are always so friendly & helpful. Still lots to think about but I believe a mid-sized Class C (25' or so) is probably the best choice for me. Still deciding on toad or no toad. I think I'd like the ability to take some side trips without a lot of hassle. I don't have a definite schedule in mind but spring isn't that far off & I'd really like to be able to do some traveling this summer! Thanks again for all the info.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #25

It sounds like a good plan.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #26

Upgrade to a class C

I would concur with Rkloud9's response totally.
We are currently on our 6th Motorhome. 5 class c"s and current is a 33 foot class A.
We are picking up a new 24 foot class C on Monday, Feb 13. Like Rkloud9, we have decided to down-size after considering all factors. I will not toe a car anymore, but the 24' is small enough to boogie around.
Lots of luck.
Paul
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #27

We went from a TT to a 24' class c and love it. There are of course trade offs, the main one is you don't have a small travel vehicle when you arrive at your destination. We normally rent a car unless our bicycles suffice as transportation. Not having to hook up and tow is the upside, I can set up in 10 minutes now. Our 24' is small enough to go most places and the learning to drive it with confidence didn't take very long. It was the right choice for us, hope this helps!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #28

Last January at age 68 we got our first RV ever which turned out to be a 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS. It is larger than we planned to buy but offered the Queen size walk around bed and ours has the horseshoe dinette and a pair of recliners. Plenty of room for two adults and our 60 pound Aussie. Also room for an occasional guest or two. Our toad is a two door Jeep Wrangler which is an absolute breeze to tow. I would suggest going to a large RV show (like Hershey) where you can physically see all of yor options in the same venue. Biggest reason we went with aClass C was the on board generator. Very happy with our Class C and super happy with Forest River!!
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
The main difference between the Sunseeker and the Forester is that the Forester has more up-graded surfaces, such as a soft ceiling, solid surface kitchen countertop, better LED ceiling lights, fiberglass running boards, better quality cabinets, etc. Look on the Forest River RV website and they have brochures on both on-line that shows the standard features and options. Some of the items that are standard on the Forester are options on the Sunseeker.
Regarding this post, I would like to make some corrections on the current 2017 differences between the Forester and Sunseeker. With the new mid 2017 changes to the Forester, there are not many differences now. The Forester and the Sunseeker are virtually the same as far as manufacturer, build, and quality. Here are some differences: With the new 2017 the Forester no longer has the soft touch ceiling, so both ceilings are the same. The Forester has the new blue tooth MyRV® Tablet that operates every major system in the RV, the Sunseeker still has the rocker switches (I consider that a plus), the Forester has the fiberglass running board on driver and passenger sides, the Sunseeker has the aluminum running board unless you order full body paint option, the Forester has cedar lined bedroom cabinets, the Sunseeker does not. The Forester has the painted skirt on the exterior, the Sunseeker does not. The cabinets appear to be the same. The interior colors differ slightly, but both have lovely color schemes. The Forester has plastic wood grain dash, the Sunseeker does not. The Sunseeker cost a few thousand less than the Forester.

If you want a smaller RV, you may like the 2290S (Sunseeker), 2291S (Forester), or the 2500TS (Sunseeker), 2501TS (Forester). You can view the differences at: Sunseeker Class C Motorhomes by Forest River RV and Forester Class C Motorhomes by Forest River RV
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogden View Post
That would be only one of the things that motivated us to upgrade in a year to a Sunseeker 32' 3100S on a Ford chassis. The Thor was one of those purchases you read about often where the unit just does not live up to expectations. Too many design issues and engineering problems left us with no faith in the unit or the manufacturer.
The 3100s with the one slide has been great especially the walk around bed. Lots of storage and convenience items and a large bathroom and separate shower. The downside is of course the size. You do not want to get into too many tight spots as this guy does not turn on a dime. We do not tow yet but are considering it.
Hope this gives you some additional input that may be of help to you in your situation.
Yes, I think the 3100 SS is (was, as it was discountinued) the best all around floor plan for 30+ C class floor plans. A bit too large for what it seems the OP wants, though. A smaller C (23-26) with no toad would probably be a better fit. If you plan your travels well, no toad would be necessary.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #31

We have a Lexington 283 GTS. It is 28' with 3 slides. That opens the living room up wonderfully in a 28' MH and gives us a walk around queen bed. We have lots of room for us and a 70 pound boxer. We have on occasion (in a pinch) also slept two more adults and another dog. The bathroom is adequate as is storage. We do not tow a car mainly because we did not want to add a second car to the mix and didn't fancy any of the towable options as our daily driver. We find the motor home very easy to unhook and drive wherever we want but also do rent cars on occasion. They really do pick you up. The small size lets us access the secluded sites in our wonderful Provincial Parks. Good luck in your decision process. I second the rental idea.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #32

Class C' s are great. I started with a 28 ft, now I have the. Sunseeker 3010 DS. It is currently for sale in the classified section. Take a look!
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #33
DW's 401(k) Plan

I know I am jumping in here a little late, but..... I can really relate to the OP. We had a Roo 23SS and went to a Flagstaff 27BESS.... From about 25' hybrid to a 32' TT. Last year we bought our 3010DS Sunseeker. Main living area is identical to the Flagstaff, other than the location of the TV.
If the hybrid you had worked for you, maybe you should look for a class c with basically the same floor plan. As far as the toad, that is something you can do later. It doesn't have to be something big or new.
Let me throw this out.... Insurance! I was shocked at the cost of insurance with the company I HAD. I changed this year and got a much better rate. Insurance companies look at the MSRP, not what you paid.
Good Luck!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #34
Ami

Hi. My name is Annette. My husband Mark and myself have been looking at 2 different types of class c motorbikes. Forested being one of them. This is our first time buying a motorhome. We have tent camped and TT camped. I just test drive a 2301 today and felt that it was rougher than another class c I drove same chassis and engine different model. It also bounced when I hit the bumps like a travel trailer would. Also the steering didn't seem tight. I really do like this model a lot. We don't want a tip out and this model is perfect for us. My question is....for anyone who has driven or owns a forester does yours handle the same way. I am thinking that there would be less bounce on bumps once the gas tank is full and the propane tank is put back in it. They are giving us a great price at the dealership. We would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
Hi. My name is Annette. My husband Mark and myself have been looking at 2 different types of class c motorbikes. Forested being one of them. This is our first time buying a motorhome. We have tent camped and TT camped. I just test drive a 2301 today and felt that it was rougher than another class c I drove same chassis and engine different model. It also bounced when I hit the bumps like a travel trailer would. Also the steering didn't seem tight. I really do like this model a lot. We don't want a tip out and this model is perfect for us. My question is....for anyone who has driven or owns a forester does yours handle the same way. I am thinking that there would be less bounce on bumps once the gas tank is full and the propane tank is put back in it. They are giving us a great price at the dealership. We would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance
2301 is a short box.
Probably still on a 4500 chassis.
The longer rigs are built on the same chassis but with much more weight and a longer wheelbase.
They will ride better due to the added weight and length.
You are talking 10k lbs on the short rig vs 12-14k on the longer ones with the same suspension and frame specs.

I have a 2251 which is the same size box as the 2301 on a Chevy 4500.
I thought about actually removing some spring leafs from the rear spring stack to soften the ride but sometimes I carry 500-600 lbs on the back and it helps the ride a lot. (motorcycle and bicycles).
I still added new shocks and a steering stabilizer to help the front end out.

If the one you drove is a Ford- they do drive different though.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #36
Ami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
2301 is a short box.
Probably still on a 4500 chassis.
The longer rigs are built on the same chassis but with much more weight and a longer wheelbase.
They will ride better due to the added weight and length.
You are talking 10k lbs on the short rig vs 12-14k on the longer ones with the same suspension and frame specs.

I have a 2251 which is the same size box as the 2301 on a Chevy 4500.
I thought about actually removing some spring leafs from the rear spring stack to soften the ride but sometimes I carry 500-600 lbs on the back and it helps the ride a lot. (motorcycle and bicycles).
I still added new shocks and a steering stabilizer to help the front end out.

If the one you drove is a Ford- they do drive different though.
Thank you.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #37
Tinkerer and Putterer

If you have the budget and really like the rig but want a smoother ride an upgrade to a liquid springs suspension might be the ticket. If I had the budget this upgrade would be on my wish list.

Testimonials on LiquidSpring EMS, RV, Bus Suspensions

Our 23 foot E350 SOB C rode rougher than our current 32 foot E450 based Forrester mainly because of weight and wheelbase as someone stated earlier.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #38

We just got our Class C a 2016 - 2650 floor-plan - We upgraded from a bumper pull and love it.

One thing to watch for especially for any class C over 30 feet and any class C on the Sprinter chassis (or any class c with a pullout couch) - The Cargo Carrying Capacity can be quite low. In some cases after optional equipment / beds / people / you might have no room in your GVWR for water / propane / batteries.

Most websites and marketing literature do not tell you the CCC on their class C's and many people are surprised to find out that even through they have a ton of space for stuff they can't bring anything with them.

Forest River shows their CCC on their 2016 brocheure but not their 2017
http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...erbrochure.pdf

You will see that the CCC vary from 3748 Pounds - 1106 Pounds.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #39
Ami

I have another question. The coach we are looking at does not come with levelers. The sales man said I don't need them to just use blocks. Thoughts...
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #40

We have factory installed levellers on our Lexington and love them. We are both in our mid 60's with some niggling health issues and this motor home is going to enable us to camp for some time.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c