Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
I have another question. The coach we are looking at does not come with levelers. The sales man said I don't need them to just use blocks. Thoughts...
The salesman is telling the truth, you don't need them. Folks have been camping for a long time with out them...

However, after you have used automatic leveling you probably won't want to go back. Just press a button and you're leveled. No crawling around, no playing in the mud, no guesstimating on how many blocks per wheel, per side, and one less item to keep track of...

There are downsides to auto leveling systems. First, the co$t ....they ain't cheap. Second, it is another system to maintain that can fail. But being able to pull in to a site and watching the coach level itself is one of the pleasures I now enjoy... Our GTS is our first coach with auto leveling and I won't be going back to blocks.
It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #42
Tinkerer and Putterer

If I had it to do over again I would get the levelers. Most sites are level to the point that blocks or letting air out of the air bags is enough to get things level but I still have jounce walking around in the rig. It's no big deal during the day but when I walk around early in the morning or late at night I tend to wake people up.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #43

Quote:
I have another question. The coach we are looking at does not come with levelers. The sales man said I don't need them to just use blocks. Thoughts...
That's the standard answer from the sales rep. A lot of dealers order their RVs without them to keep the costs down, so they'll tell you that. They will also say that most sites are level, so auto levelers not necessary! Um, no! They should just order the coaches with them IMHO. After market auto levelers cost around 5K - 6K as compared to factory at $2,000.

After many years of leveling using blocks and hating the process, we are purchasing our new RV with the auto levelers. Get the auto levelers.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #44

Quote:
If over 30 years old get them,,, and factory installed. Best money you will ever spend. What a time and work savings. I wanted to upgrade from a Class A and did not until the 5ers came with auto-level. Yes, upgrade ~ a 5er is the only way to go for me.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #45
Ami

Quote:
Thank you.
I have a question... Do you feel like the chevy handles and rides better than the ford chassis. Since I am now waiting on the dealer to get the front end aligned and to have it prepped so we can do 1 more test drive before we give a definitive yes, I have wondered if chevy would be a better chassis. They seem to be a little cheaper also. Thanks in advance for any information.
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #46

Quote:
I have a question... Do you feel like the chevy handles and rides better than the ford chassis. Since I am now waiting on the dealer to get the front end aligned and to have it prepped so we can do 1 more test drive before we give a definitive yes, I have wondered if chevy would be a better chassis. They seem to be a little cheaper also. Thanks in advance for any information.
Prepare yourself- this may just open up an age-old Ford vs. Chevy argument

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #47
Sunseeker 3010DS

We have a 3010ds love it. Just got the wife a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for her daily driver and toad. plenty of room to spread out and even take the family and grand kids. sleeps 8, 4 adults and 4 kids. Everyone need to like each other though! The Cherokee seats 5 tight and room for some gear for day trips. Just me and the wife more than enough room and if she finds something she has to have while on the road the rear seats fold down to haul it home. What ever motorhome you pick, think about a toad. It will give you so many more options while traveling. Set up camp and do some exploring on day trips.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkloud9 View Post
We have never towed a large trailer, so we have not shared that experience with you, but here are my thoughts...
It is all about the floor plan and how you roll. My wife and I looked at a lot of different makes and models, classes a,b,c. Our idea was to get the smallest unit we could both tolerate to enable us the most freedom of movement, ease of set-up, and fuel economy. I really liked class b's... some of those really pack a lot of functionality in a small space. But they are generally pretty pricey, the bathrooms are mostly tiny, and the space can be confining. We rented a pretty nice one, and there was a lot to like, but we were bumping in to each other all the time, and she hated the "wet bath" (toilet, sink, and shower all in one space). There are a lot of class A's (and C's) that have wonderful, apartment-like floor plans, but are just too large for us to imagine poking around with on side roads, let alone fueling up on a regular basis. For us, the smaller class C's seemed to hit the happy medium... more space, decent sized bathroom with separate shower, and generally decent pricing. We went with a SunSeeker MBS 2400 W, which is 25' long, has a diesel engine for a little better mileage, a very large slide the seems to double the interior space with the push of a button, a very comfortable bed, and a nice bath. In the first year of ownership we are coming up on about 110 days on the road and 16000 miles, and are very happy.

Recently we added a toad, and this has changed the "how we roll" aspect considerably... Here again, we got the smallest car we could tolerate. This makes towing it easier and more economical. Now we are looking for spots where we are happy to pause for a few days, with the toad being the neat little "fine detail exploring" vehicle. I share your feeling about towing big things with small vehicles, but be prepared for a fairly big expense setting up a vehicle for "4 down" towing. Hardware and installation can easily hit $5K.

Enjoy your search!

Looking for your post about the container store fix to your pantry.
Can you pm this to me
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #49

The good thing is that these units come with the leveler brackets welded on (or should, they are easy to spot just behind the axle), installing a system later is a bolt on and wire up type of job. So far we are getting along without them. I do wish we had driven more units, I don't like the way ours handles/rides but I have no points of comparison. Also, we were thinking we could get along without a toad but now have determined that is not true.. so we are now trying to figure that out. RV ownership is an expensive 'hobby'!

I do have to admit.. a long trip in the class C is overall much more enjoyable than towing the travel trailer we used to have.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
Also, we were thinking we could get along without a toad but now have determined that is not true..
We initially had a toad but have since went "toad less"... For us it makes financial sense, and is lot more pleasant driving, to just call Enterprise when we want a car. This works for us as we aren't "campers" per se, we use our TS to tour.

If we're going to be in one spot several days, like the FROG Rally, I call Enterprise. But our normal touring hasn't required us to rent a car very often. If we full timed, or even snow birded, I'd get a bigger rig and go back to a toad.

Do the "math" and see which solution is best for you...
It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #51
Sunseeker 3010DS

Personal preference

I'v owned an rv for many many years and used cut up lumber and plywood for leveling my rigs back in the day. I have stepped up to the newer style light weight stack-able models and drive up wedges and they work fine. I have heard some horror stories about problems people have had with their auto leveling systems. Any way it is what you want that is important. I will say, because I never had them I don't miss them. But on the other hand now that I have slid-outs and elect. awnings and Air bags, I can't go back to the older models!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamac View Post
I'v owned an rv for many many years and used cut up lumber and plywood for leveling my rigs back in the day. I have stepped up to the newer style light weight stack-able models and drive up wedges and they work fine. I have heard some horror stories about problems people have had with their auto leveling systems. Any way it is what you want that is important. I will say, because I never had them I don't miss them. But on the other hand now that I have slid-outs and elect. awnings and Air bags, I can't go back to the older models!
Once you have auto-level you will never go back.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #53

Have to watch, you do loose some ground clearance. We have had ours grind the pavement many times going in and out of driveways. , Could live with them or without them.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Have to watch, you do loose some ground clearance. We have had ours grind the pavement many times going in and out of driveways. , Could live with them or without them.
Yes, they are quite low, aren't they. We have this problem. Our driveway is sloped, and we have to pump our airbags up to about 90 psi to clear the levelers. I think we've even bent a pin on one side when we first got our RV.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #55

The tail scraping really depends on the wheelbase and length of the unit you drive. The longer class cs will have more length behind the rear wheels, and thus are more likely to drag. We drive a Sprinter based SunSeeker with a 170 wheelbase and a length of 25... we rarely drag, maybe once or twice in 30000 miles. Gas powered class As with shorter wheelbases would drag too, I think.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #56
Sunseeker 3010DS

All depends on what you like. When My wife and I decided we were moving from a 5th wheel to a MH we thought we would be happy with a smaller class C. once we started shopping we knew we would not be happy with anything smaller than our 5th wheel 29' So we ended up with a 3010DS. handles good and we can pull our Jeep or Just taxi, LIFT or Uber if we are in more populated areas. take a look at the sunseeker 2420MS. Not to big but an open feal with a rear lav and full size shower. As all our kids now have there own rigs Tow halers and travel trailers we may want to down size a bit so I have been looking at some of the newer floor plans with multiple slides. It all about what you feel comfortable in. Good luck, Oh and take a look at some slightly used low mile models. there are some real savings out there. Just make sure to have it checked out from head to toe before you buy used. Have fun shopping!

Tags
class c