Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #1

Thoughts on moving from 32 Sunseeker to A Class

Thinking of moving from a 32 Sunseeker to an A class. Anyone here go up to an A and come back? Or come here from an A class? I am only asking for the actual driveability issues, not livability issues. I can drive my C class for 10 hours (12 hours in a pinch), with no problem. I have driven some short stints behind an A class, but no long term drives. Talking about comparing a 32 C class to a 30-35 A class. What are the driving experiences from those that have experienced both? Thanks for any input.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

What kind of Class A?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

Most all of them are on a Ford P-53 chassis. I would expect most of them would drive the same. Could be wrong?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Most all of them are on. Ford P-53 chassis.
That is true for gassers but you did not specify. I have owned both diesel and gas.
I did many suspension upgrades on my F (not P) 53 chassis to give it some half way decent road manners. I also did some significant upgrades to my E-450 chassis. You are asking for a comparison between apples and oranges. Too many variables. ...poof!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #5

Yes, most 30-35's are gas. F-53 chassis are all you can get now in a gasser from what I understand. Not trying to make it complicated. Is it easier to drive a stock F-53 A class or a stock F-450 C class for 12 hours per day?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #6

Thoughts on moving from 32 Sunseeker to A Class

There are countless people who have gone from Class C to Class A and vice versa - and (often over time) back to where they started. There are many nuances to your query about drivability, and given the generic and largely subjective nature of your concerns, my suggestion would be to take several test drives *and* a full day rental of a Class A motorhome before you make a costly move that you’re unsure of. At the end of the day, it’s all about your seat-of-the-pants opinion of what works best for you. Best wishes, and please let us know how it goes!

Mr. Brian
Old 11-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #7

Thanks, Mr. Brian. That is exactly what I am looking for: other peoples seat-of-the- pants experiences for long days of driving comparing the two type and size of rigs mentioned. I know it will be my decision, but other people’s previous experience can help guide me.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:19 PM   #8

We've made almost the entire circuit from Cabover camper, to trailer, to larger trailer, to Class C, to Class A, and now to a small trailer. Our Class A actually drove nicer than the class C, it was also a nicer (read more expensive) unit. The Class A was never a problem to drive for long hours, it was comfortable. Since we like to boondock, finding sites that could accommodate the Class A could be a problem, but not driving it.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
Dahagen

I owned and loved class C's for 20 years. In 2013 I changed from a 28-foot C to a 32-foot Mirada A. What a difference. Smother ride, better visibility, less wind problems with trucks, and I think the A is easier to drive on mountain roads. I will not go back.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

I had a 2700 sunseeker no suspension mods and covered 28,000 miles
Upgraded to a GT3 32 ft at the beginning of this year (2019 model ) only done 6500 miles so far but I do prefer the a class gt3 for driving over the 2700
Hope it helps
Old 11-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #11

I started RVing about 40 years ago with a 26 ft and then a 28 ft Class C and then I moved up to a 40 ft Alfa Gold diesel pusher. The pusher was much more stable and smooth to drive but I found the size to be intimidating in many situations. I switched to a 38 ft 5er but never really mastered backing it into tight spots, especially with the sliding hitch. Two years ago I downsized to a 32 ft Class C that came with several suspension upgrades (rear sway bar, air bags, Bilstein shocks front and rear). The driveability was good and after I added a steering stabilizer and larger front sway bar and it was very good. I would never go back to driving a A class. The only thing I might add is a rear track bar to improve driveabilty when towing the Jeep. The Forester is no sports car but both my wife and I are very comfortable driving it. And for our lifestyle, it also has the most functional floor plan. Good luck with your decision.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
The Class A was never a problem to drive for long hours, it was comfortable. Since we like to boondock, finding sites that could accommodate the Class A could be a problem, but not driving it.
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
I owned and loved class C's for 20 years. In 2013 I changed from a 28-foot C to a 32-foot Mirada A. What a difference. Smother ride, better visibility, less wind problems with trucks, and I think the A is easier to drive on mountain roads. I will not go back.
I kinda like those Miranda's. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoddy View Post
I had a 2700 sunseeker no suspension mods and covered 28,000 miles
Upgraded to a GT3 32 ft at the beginning of this year (2019 model ) only done 6500 miles so far but I do prefer the a class gt3 for driving over the 2700
Hope it helps
I like the Georgetowns also. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
. I would never go back to driving a A class. The only thing I might add is a rear track bar to improve driveabilty when towing the Jeep. The Forester is no sports car but both my wife and I are very comfortable driving it. And for our lifestyle, it also has the most functional floor plan. Good luck with your decision.
Yes, I liked the Forester floor plans ( until they took out the propane oven). Thanks.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

As you can see from our signature, we’ve downsized from a 35’ Georgetown with no chassis modifications except the CHF, to a 25’ Sunseeker with no chassis modifications. We downsized after 10 years because our camping scenarios have changed from longer term set ups (read Snowbirds) to short term setups.
We also eliminated the need of having a toad, but that did not affect my evaluation of driving a Class A.

I’ve driven School Buses for more miles than I care to remember, and I can honestly say either Class A or Class C units ride, handle, and steer better than the old “Yellow tanks”.

Honestly, for me.....when I base driving either motorhome versus the School Bus.....I find either configuration very enjoyable to drive even if it’s from sunrise to sunset. Never been in a hurry, consider myself a very seasoned driver, and drive to enjoy the journey.....not just as a form of transportation to get to the next campsite.

My $0.02.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #14

I have also been around the block , 4 class Cs , 2 class A , 9 TTs , 4 truck cmpers . My thoughts , it was a heck of a lot cheaper to get the Class C worked on than the Class A and easier to find that shop to do it . My class A had a Cummins engine , Alison transmixer , ford steering wheel , and a Chevy dash . Maybe the Ford 53 is all Ford ?
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #15

Went your way, Not looking back.

We rented Class C's, and put more than 7,500 miles on them, but when we made the decision to buy, it was a class A Georgetown 360 Xl, and while it was used (5 Yrs old), we have never looked back. In the 28' rented "C", I always felt like I was driving in a tunnel, due to the forward overhang. In the "A", the vision is not compromised in any direction. In terms of drivability, The "A" did require a steering stabilizer (SafTPlus) to reduce wander, but at no time has it been as prone to wind or passing semis as the "C". For whatever it is worth, I try to limit our single day driving to 7 hrs. I want to set up in daylight, and leave after dawn.
If anything, I only regret not going to a diesel pusher in about the same length, but all of those had a GVW that would have required a CDL that I was/am not willing to undertake at my age.
Roger Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #16

The larger Class A’s are on the P-53 chassis which will driver like a large truck for the most part only a smoother ride. When we make the move from our Wolf Pup TT to a motor home we will most likely go with the Thor Axis or Vegas which are on a Class C chassis. We have been researching them and we really like them. There size is between the Class C and the Class A. Which makes them desirable to us. They also have smaller tires as opposed to the 19.5 tires on the class A’s.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Thinking of moving from a 32 Sunseeker to an A class. Anyone here go up to an A and come back? Or come here from an A class? I am only asking for the actual driveability issues, not livability issues. I can drive my C class for 10 hours (12 hours in a pinch), with no problem. I have driven some short stints behind an A class, but no long term drives. Talking about comparing a 32 C class to a 30-35 A class. What are the driving experiences from those that have experienced both? Thanks for any input.
There are going to be HUGE differences across class A coaches. For example, our last RV, for over 4 years was a 2005 Monaco Safari Gazelle, on the 8 airbag Roadmaster Chassis. On top of that, the previous owner took it to HWH to have the same ActiveAir system they use on the Foretravel coaches installed, which certainly improved things on top of how nice it already was. Comparing that to a lot of Class A coaches isn't going to be apples and oranges. There are just too many different chassis, coach weights, etc. to say "a class A is for you".

Also you have to consider gas vs. diesel, and front engine vs. pusher. With a pusher, the engine is in the back so you don't have that noise up front.

Even more to consider is how far down the quality rabbit hole you want to go. I would never own a pusher with a rear radiator, side radiator is the way to go for me. There are other quality touches that some coaches have that others don't, but that's a long-winded discussion for sure.

Someone mentioned tire sizes, our coach was on 295-70-R22.5 tires.

We did have a Super C before, built on a F550 chassis, and it rode and drove nothing like our Monaco. The Monaco was comfortable for hours. I sold it with 109,000+ miles on it, so it wasn't a driveway/storage barn queen.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
The larger Class A’s are on the P-53 chassis which will driver like a large truck for the most part only a smoother ride. When we make the move from our Wolf Pup TT to a motor home we will most likely go with the Thor Axis or Vegas which are on a Class C chassis. We have been researching them and we really like them. There size is between the Class C and the Class A. Which makes them desirable to us. They also have smaller tires as opposed to the 19.5 tires on the class A’s.
The Thor Axis and Vegas are built on the Ford E-350/450 stripped chassis (not the cutaway chassis like the class Cs). They should handle like the Cs. We test drove one and it was a decent ride/handling. We really, really wanted one, but decided against due to Thor’s poor build quality and at the time you could not configure them at all to your liking.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
but decided against due to Thor’s poor build quality and at the time you could not configure them at all to your liking.
You did the right thing, our brand new 2013 Thor Four Winds 33SW Super C spent 172 days in the shop during the first 11 months of ownership.

I saw someone in the campground a couple of weeks a go in a brand new Thor Class A with a full-wall slide and Schwintek slides and ... well ... I felt sorry for them.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #20

We looked at trying a class A, but we had a couple issues. Class Cs, other than super Cs, are under 12 feet tall. Class As are generally over 12 feet tall. Our RV garage door is 12 feet tall, so the A won’t fit.

Cs and super Cs have cab driver and passengers doors. Most Class As do not. We didn’t want to give up the doors.

Tags
sunseeker